What's new

espresso machine

By pump I'm referreng to an electric water pump (mine is 51watts) that actually provides the pressurized water to the grouphead for the shot. It's buried inside the machine, but that's the primary horsepower behind a shot. I lift up the lever on the side of the "Group" and it starts the pump. The pressure quickly rises to about 150psi and that is what forces the hot water through the ground espresso.

If you check out this article - it may answer some questions. Esp. look at the sidebar on the right.

http://coffeekid.com/other/newbies/espresso

For instance - when steaming my machine makes no noise at all (other than the steam hiss).

As far as price goes............$200-$300 for the machine and no more than $125 for the grinder. Anything else ill need? Where do you get your beans from? Is there a website where you can get all you would need? Sorry for so many questions....

I typically low ball everything at first but when it comes down to it I spend hardcore...........ahhhh the joys of a single life...lol. Roast your own...how do you do that...is it worth the time and effort? What name brand do you reccomend for me as a beginer. I want one that ill use for a couple years and maybe one day ill upgrade.

The links that I provided to e-Bay (in an earlier post) are exactly what I would recommend to you: A Gaggia machine with a Solis Maestro Plus would be by newbie setup of choice. Plus, those should keep you within your budget.

I surely wouldn't recommend starting espresso AND homeroasting at the same time. Your head will explode! :a6:

All you could ever want to know about home roasting is on the www.sweetmarias.com site. I didn't want to type for days so I just sent you the links to study (sorry man, but I've got a family!) :wink:

That is one impressive setup! The equipment of our local coffee house pales in comparison - I get better flavor from my humble french press.
Rik

Sean -

Those are FINE choices. I don't know the espresso machine from experience. But I know Jim at first line knows his stuff. GOOD JOB BUDDY!

HlSheppard said:
Hi Ron -

Straight Sumatra is a little "musty" for an espresso shot. French press or vacuum brewed, though... MMMMMMMMM!

I actually have a bag of aged Sumatra beans from 1998. Aging green coffee is a VERY "iffy" process since there can be mold, infestation, etc. at any time. Plus, it's not just "letting it sit there." It's letting it stay in it's harvested "habitat" for a number of years while being rotated and turned and protected.

The stuff I have tastes actually "smokey" with a ton of body. It's scary good!

This is no joke: The picture of the machinery was taken at our last home, which had a fire. One of the things I "saved" was my aged Sumatra! :eek:
What a MAN!! At least you had your priorities! I used to get Sulawesi and Sumatra from Peats. Can't get any GOOD Sulawesi since the big blowout in E. Timor.. But I liked the musty, EARTHY taste of that combo...

Ron -

If you like earthy and musty (sounds tasty, eh?) you should try the Monsooned Malabar AA. That stuff tastes like a "cemetary in a cup!" :lol:

It really finds it's stride in an espresso blend. You definitely need some acidity to round it out, though...

HlSheppard said:
Ron -

If you like earthy and musty (sounds tasty, eh?) you should try the Monsooned Malabar AA. That stuff tastes like a "cemetary in a cup!" :lol:

It really finds it's stride in an espresso blend. You definitely need some acidity to round it out, though...
I had two pounds of Malabar select from Gevalia... Mmmm! Mmmm! Good. :tongue_sm

For home use like the old school lever espresso machines. Here is my collection in our newly renovated kitchen complete with separate coffee area. Shot taken from kitchen area.

Attachments

• Compete-Setup.jpeg
    Compete-Setup.jpeg
    509.3 KB · Views: 25

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
For home use like the old school lever espresso machines. Here is my collection in our newly renovated kitchen complete with separate coffee area. Shot taken from kitchen area.
I completely concur. Having the control a lever provides is irreplaceable, and the learning curve is not as steep as you might think, especially on a spring loaded one like my ancient Elektra. The machines are so simple that if you find one on eBay you can refurbish it yourself.

Top Bottom