What's new

Esoterica Tobacco In Stock Alert

www.iwanries.com now has some Esoterica Tobacco in stock (including the much desired Penzance and Stonehaven). 8oz bags, 1 per customer.
Don't know how long it will last. It may even be possible that they're out by the time they fill me order. Won't know more until tomorrow, probably.

Thanks for the heads up. I been waiting to try Penzance so I picked up 8oz. I would have liked to try Stonehaven but it was already gone.

Amazed that Penzance is STILL in stock. Alas, I've a growing distaste for Latakia heavy blends (Jason the Argonaut is a wise, wise man) and have little desire for the stuff. Stonehaven, on the other hand...

Anyway, thanks for the heads-up.

Last edited:
I've heard of two minute windows before when it comes to Stonehaven. Guys get alerts on their smartphones and it's gone by the time they make their way over there... literally two minutes later. Crazy.

I've heard of two minute windows before when it comes to Stonehaven. Guys get alerts on their smartphones and it's gone by the time they make their way over there... literally two minutes later. Crazy.
i talked with them this morn and it will be another 3 to 4 months, and they, Iwan Ries. only know the day before-

Not stonehaven I have been watching them for some time now is any of those esoterica ones any good , how about woodbridge

Sorry about that! When I was ordering the penzance I could have sworn it was available. Someday! Although I did find a bag of stonehaven for sale $175 for 8oz...

Sorry about that! When I was ordering the penzance I could have sworn it was available. Someday! Although I did find a bag of stonehaven for sale $175 for 8oz...

No apologies needed. This stuff sells out in the time it takes to write a post about it!

Although I did find a bag of stonehaven for sale $175 for 8oz...

8th sign of the Apocalypse? At first I was indignant about that kind of gauging but I've had a change of heart recently. It really isn't gauging as Stonehavaen is a luxury item, not a basic need like food or water. Nobody is being forced to pay those prices. Obviously if someone is willing to buy it then it is worth it to that person.

I think I came around on the issue when I recently made peace with myself and went ahead and bought a bag of Stonehaven from 4noggins consignment page for $100. It was actually fairly easy to justify. Had those eight ounces of tobacco been purchased here in Canada from my local B&M, I would have paid about $20 more when all was said and done with the taxes. That and the fact that I'm actually enjoying the hell of it (rather than it sitting pretty in my cellar waiting for its picture to be taken on occasion to be paraded about on pipe smoking forums or, even worse, flipping it on the 'bay for close to $200) made it an almost no brainer.

I'm quite sure I would not be able to spin that web of wonky logic for a $175 bag, though.

Not stonehaven I have been watching them for some time now is any of those esoterica ones any good , how about woodbridge

I don't know about the Woodbridge, but I HAVE had the Margate, And So To Bed, Penzance, Stonehaven, and Tilbury. They are all fantastic, but I'd most highly recommend Tilbury. It is one of my very favorite Virginia blends (with a nice little touch of burley in the mix as well). Margate is not as complex as Penzance, but for a full lat blend I love it and would say I think I might like it better than Penzance. And So To Bed is a simply fantastic crossover blend, with a noteworthy level of latakia but also a somewhat fruity aromatic essence in there as well - medium bodied and tasty.

But if you're in the market for VA, try the Tilbury. I doubt you'd be sorry.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
8th sign of the Apocalypse? At first I was indignant about that kind of gauging but I've had a change of heart recently. It really isn't gauging as Stonehavaen is a luxury item, not a basic need like food or water. Nobody is being forced to pay those prices. Obviously if someone is willing to buy it then it is worth it to that person.

I think I came around on the issue when I recently made peace with myself and went ahead and bought a bag of Stonehaven from 4noggins consignment page for $100. It was actually fairly easy to justify. Had those eight ounces of tobacco been purchased here in Canada from my local B&M, I would have paid about $20 more when all was said and done with the taxes. That and the fact that I'm actually enjoying the hell of it (rather than it sitting pretty in my cellar waiting for its picture to be taken on occasion to be paraded about on pipe smoking forums or, even worse, flipping it on the 'bay for close to $200) made it an almost no brainer.

I'm quite sure I would not be able to spin that web of wonky logic for a $175 bag, though.

It is scalping, plain and simple. People buy this stuff so they can sell it for ridiculously marked up prices. It is vulture capitalism at best, and those who do it are just one level above pawn brokers.

I don't know about the Woodbridge, but I HAVE had the Margate, And So To Bed, Penzance, Stonehaven, and Tilbury. They are all fantastic, but I'd most highly recommend Tilbury. It is one of my very favorite Virginia blends (with a nice little touch of burley in the mix as well). Margate is not as complex as Penzance, but for a full lat blend I love it and would say I think I might like it better than Penzance. And So To Bed is a simply fantastic crossover blend, with a noteworthy level of latakia but also a somewhat fruity aromatic essence in there as well - medium bodied and tasty.

But if you're in the market for VA, try the Tilbury. I doubt you'd be sorry.

If you like Margate, you should try Pembroke. It is Margate topped with French cognac. Absolutely fantastic stuff.

I like Margate, but I don't love it. It's more latakia than I normally prefer, as I tend to only REALLY get into latakia occasionally, and almost only when it's hot out, which really limits how often I smoke it. As it is, about 75% of the time or more I'm smoking one particular unrelated blend...everything else is just for kicks. As I've gotten so stuck on that single blend, I've got a huge collection (as far as I'm concerned, anyway) of tobacco I very rarely get into. As such, I'm trying to refrain from buying much more tobacco, even to try something new.

It does sound good, but it also sounds fairly similar to And So To Bed but with different constituent tobaccos (all oriental and latakia). I'm fairly sure ASTB is topped with brandy of some sort, though I don't think it's information Germain has let out that I'm aware of.

It's possible that we may see more of this in the coming days, as maybe shipments are arriving at various stores?

It is scalping, plain and simple. People buy this stuff so they can sell it for ridiculously marked up prices. It is vulture capitalism at best, and those who do it are just one level above pawn brokers.

I hear ya, my friend. I was exactly where you are on the issue a month ago, but I have a remarkable ability to detach myself from things around me that threaten to **** me off. It's probably why my blood pressure is that of a sleeping baby but also what annoys some people about me. Please don't think that because I'd buy from these guys that I'd do what they do. Although I suppose one could argue that by purchasing from these scalpers I'm tacitly supporting this practise. It's a fine line but ultimately one I just don't care enough about to devote significant mental energy to. At the end of the day, for me, it's just tobacco. It's just tobacco. And no, I don't do yoga, eat organic, wear panchos, or vote Green... I do love the Big Lebowski, though. :wink2:

Top Bottom