What's new

Escher/Thuringian love. show of your rocks

Left 2 are Y/G,
The 10x2 and 6x2" are all LG.
The 7x2.5" is a BG as is the slurry stone above it.
The rest on the Right are DB.

Side view of a YG/BG transition and then a BG/DB transition (really hard to photograph).

That is awesome. You the man! Thanks for that. Very good to have archived in this thread too. I now think I have a small light green or at least blue/green around here somewhere and didn’t realize. Knew it was lighter than my darker ones.

Thanks again!

My antique store find yesterday. I’m really excited. I’m told it could be an Escher. I sealed the label and will lap the stone soon.

Attachments

• DAC1C57C-3306-4CA5-A922-EE963BD4CAB8.jpeg
    DAC1C57C-3306-4CA5-A922-EE963BD4CAB8.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 40
  • 0CB8D2C5-50B1-41EE-9ECC-69D67299071C.jpeg
    0CB8D2C5-50B1-41EE-9ECC-69D67299071C.jpeg
    5.3 MB · Views: 40
  • 27926EA6-615E-4539-AD1F-90A58294B74E.jpeg
    27926EA6-615E-4539-AD1F-90A58294B74E.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 36
My antique store find yesterday. I’m really excited. I’m told it could be an Escher. I sealed the label and will lap the stone soon.
That is a just as good as Escher. It came from the very same mine.
What are the yellowish swirls? Are the in the stone or on it from making slurry?

Here's two of mine:

A SRD 7" blue and a little yellow/green glued into wood> I don't know if the YG is labelled as it came glued. I have one more upstairs that's a little labelled E & Co.

0801200746.jpg
0801200749.jpg

That's a Hohenzollern, not an SRD. Is it an SRD box? If so, I don't think the stone goes with the box... but maybe SRD exported/imported Hohenzollern stones? It'd be the first I'd seen.

That's a Hohenzollern, not an SRD. Is it an SRD box? If so, I don't think the stone goes with the box... but maybe SRD exported/imported Hohenzollern stones? It'd be the first I'd seen.

Yes Droescher was a Hohenzoller importer I believe this was when he first started. I remember researching it years ago, but don't remember all the details. It is on one of the forums somewhere. If you look at the label it is signed Droescher.

Yes Droescher was a Hohenzoller importer I believe this was when he first started. I remember researching it years ago, but don't remember all the details. It is on one of the forums somewhere. If you look at the label it is signed Droescher.
Thanks; all news to me. I saw the label was signed Droescher. I bought the stone years ago and it's been sitting in the pantry. I don't use it much because I'm afraid the label will fall off. The box is totally faded and held together with electrical tape, but is the right fit for the stone and slurry stone. The slurry stone matches. It measures ~7 1/8" x 2 5/8". Seems the same in use as my small labeled E&Co. and the one in the wood box pictured above- both of those are the typical ~5" x 1 ", like the Celebrated Water Stones. I've got one of those in a wooden box somewhere, too.

Edit: I did some further research after reading this and found a post saying Droescher would have possibly "imported this before 1901 before they bought a mill." Any more info would be appreciated. Are these particularly rare?

Last edited:
If you guess is right I believe Droescher bought the mill and started his own business in 1901. So my guess was since he was in business I think it was since 1891 that these where probably pre 1901.

Thanks; all news to me. I saw the label was signed Droescher. I bought the stone years ago and it's been sitting in the pantry. I don't use it much because I'm afraid the label will fall off. The box is totally faded and held together with electrical tape, but is the right fit for the stone and slurry stone. The slurry stone matches. It measures ~7 1/8" x 2 5/8". Seems the same in use as my small labeled E&Co. and the one in the wood box pictured above- both of those are the typical ~5" x 1 ", like the Celebrated Water Stones. I've got one of those in a wooden box somewhere, too.

Edit: I did some further research after reading this and found a post saying Droescher would have possibly "imported this before 1901 before they bought a mill." Any more info would be appreciated. Are these particularly rare?

That sounds like my post from the other site you found. There used to be a Facebook link that one of his relatives had the History of the mill and him on, but it doesn't seem to go there anymore.
Not rare, but the Hohenzoller are not as common. I think they had a shorter time frame than the Droescher and Escher labels. They are all thuringians just different labels/importers and possibly timeframes.

I have seen Hohenzollerns with a label that is signed by Droescher, some that were imported by a company in St.Paul, MN and one I bought that was made for a supply company in Philly.

h

have you ever seen a Droescher stamped coticule in the flesh? I saw one - a Vert - on a vintage sight years ago, wish I had bought it - '89dollars - or at least grabbed a photo.
Yes there is one I picked just because of the stamp. I will post pics if I find it.

So, I've been missing on every gamble this past month. Suspected Rosy Reds I paid in the hundreds for turning out to be #1 Washita's, 8-10" Suspected Thuri's being BBW's, Vermont Slates, and whatever that green hone I Posted yesterday turns out to be, even a 7" labeled Escher I bought arriving and being 6" because of a "typo".

This however was the one I was most confident in. I knew a Lynn Idwal was possible from the pictures... but I looked at it and convinced myself that no, this was going to be a Thuringian every time, and finally it arrived. One of my Wish-list hones. A two-toned 10x2" Thuri.

The Y/G side is a dead ringer for those velvety soft Fox Guaranteed Extra Soft No 44 stones.

Attachments

• IMG_4246.JPG
    IMG_4246.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_4248.JPG
    IMG_4248.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_4249.JPG
    IMG_4249.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 34
End label remnants.... Yellow-Green or GelbGrun? There's the bottom or top of one character there... time to compare labels.

Attachments

• IMG_4250.JPG
    IMG_4250.JPG
    567.1 KB · Views: 27
Top Bottom