What's new

Escher/Thuringian love. show of your rocks

Nice stone. I've got one in that dimension with no label. Took me forever to figure out who had sold Thuri's that shape. Is it two toned? Mines BG and DB.

New escher.jpg

Attachments

• 449E55BC-09CF-4925-895D-6816602DDB45.jpeg
    449E55BC-09CF-4925-895D-6816602DDB45.jpeg
    146.9 KB · Views: 35
Well here is my humble contribution! :) It's a little Celebrated Water Hone which, as I understand it, was manufactured by Escher. Now I know that it's not the Yellow Label one with the chalice, but I have to believe that it's made by the same manufacturer as it's almost identical in every way (wording & all) to the one with the chalice/Escher logo. What do you think??

ps-It's a joy to use!!
View attachment 288566View attachment 288567View attachment 288568View attachment 288569

What grit are these estimated to be?

I have an identical one that I got in a big box of vintage gear the other day for chump change and my only other finishing hone is a Welsh 'dragons tongue' slate at around 10-12kgrit.

Cheers

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
When the second natural stone you buy is a 7x1.5 dark blue Escher with a scrap of label left - and you got it for less than 3 dollars... But you don't know anything about Eschers or labels so you scrub the label off and lop a 1 inch slurry stone off of it.
JUST NOOBIE THINGS...
I bought a 5x2.5 YG Escher around 2011. It had been dropped on one corner and had a few little fissures running through it. I lapped and lapped and LAPPED that damn thing trying to get past them until there was only about 1/4” left. At that point I surrendered and cut it up for slurry stones and sold them on eBay. We’ve all done it. There should be a thread titled dumb things we did as a newb.

I bought a 5x2.5 YG Escher around 2011. It had been dropped on one corner and had a few little fissures running through it. I lapped and lapped and LAPPED that damn thing trying to get past them until there was only about 1/4” left. At that point I surrendered and cut it up for slurry stones and sold them on eBay. We’ve all done it. There should be a thread titled dumb things we did as a newb.
That would actually be a really interesting thread.
I had a thick chunky piece of the old Canadian novaculite, beautifully fine ("Magog" maybe).
It had an oil filled inclusion. I thought you could just lap past the oil , LOL, and so ended up with a stone maybe 1/4 inch thick from one that had been 15/16ths ;D .

Let's see... I sold a number stones that were almost certainly la lune for cheap after buying them hoping they were Thuris and being disappointed. Bought a ton of bad stones to try (who hasn't). Sold my first Rooney finest after like 1 use because it was "too scrubby" (What a fool I was). I've cracked a half dozen irreplaceable bone and ivory brushes by using them (knot swells and old bone cracks). Sold a couple extremely rare boxed and labeled US import Thuris for cheap because I put them up for bid and not enough bidders realized what they were to get the bidding wars I was hoping for.

Probably most egregious was when I bought one of the Vintage French Butterfly razors for nearly $1000 because it was the only one I'd ever seen at the time (outside of one pictured in the razor price guide)... seen 4 or 5 more come up since and they don't fetch anywhere close to what I paid.

Yeah hard to tell or give an answer on that, but most likely the sidelabels appeared in german....a good question to catch for further research

Think I mentioned that berfore here or in another thread. The main labels have been a direction for honing for the endusers of the stone. The color labels have been a quality and therefore price label for Escher itself and his distributors.
So as example - when the Escher company, as a sole trading company, ordered stones of a defined size and color from the thuringian miners, for example 100 dozent stones of 8X1.5 inch in color yellow-green and the stones were delivered, they had to mark the color to fix the endprice and register and store the stones in their warehouse. Doesn't make any sense to do the color label in another language than german in this case.
If the color label is in english languague, I suppose that the stones had been delivered from the german Escher company directly to the american distributors without being registered in Germany, so color and therefore price label is meant as an indication to the distributors.

A DSG hone. 1-¼” x almost 4-½”. Anyone have a picture of all the thuringian colors in one shot? I’ve never been great at identifying the right color. What would you call this one? It does have a weird seam (quartzlike) with a slave of more “grey” layer on the back. My guess is gold-green but I am not sure what a pure geld or run really look like.

D11D73B6-3626-42C3-9AD4-487E75E3B5A3.jpeg
7BFA0191-6082-4FCE-BD26-F0A27011607C.jpeg
DEECB5E3-9644-4B04-A3E6-2FB5875D4547.jpeg
1B961809-4D9E-41BD-90AC-06E45DFA7428.jpeg
58BB6FD3-5418-4DCA-B24D-A54DC9DF68A3.jpeg
94DC446F-CDBD-4678-967D-88EB7E7EEF7F.jpeg

Y/G and cloudy bluegreen

Most two tones are YG / BG or LG / BG

I've seen a couple BG / DB though.

Give me a few mins, I'll get a group pic of the colors I've got on hand.

Left 2 are Y/G,
The 10x2 and 6x2" are all LG.
The 7x2.5" is a BG as is the slurry stone above it.
The rest on the Right are DB.

Side view of a YG/BG transition and then a BG/DB transition (really hard to photograph).

Attachments

• IMG_4147.JPG
    IMG_4147.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_4148.JPG
    IMG_4148.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_4149.JPG
    IMG_4149.JPG
    826.8 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_4152.JPG
    IMG_4152.JPG
    622.1 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
I was always under the impression that the dual color YG were with DB. After reading your post I looked closely and you are correct. All my dual colors are YG/BG and not DB.

Here is the rubbing stone from the barbers delight I posted above, the dark part of it, next to a DB.

fullsizeoutput_1f00.jpeg

Top Bottom