What's new

Escher/Thuringian love. show of your rocks

I've owned that stone. Sold it a few months ago.

I bought it from one of the very old timer guys a few years ago (was one of my first big Thuri's). I forget the guys name, but he dealt in a lot of stones and was a big eBay seller at the time and had been on SRP and I think also this forum for many years.

Used it quite awhile, but eventually had so many 10x2" Thuri's it wound up in a stack of them until I started trimming the collection down.

I'm of the opinion that stones like that are "Escher" in all but label. I've never seen or heard of a 10x2" Thuri that WASN'T an Escher. Likewise I think most 7x1.5" that are definite thuri's are "almost Escher" because the other makers in that cut were so much less common. I've seen 500 Escher's for every Fuch's. But then there are the absolutists so yeah you can't PROVE it's an Escher without the label... and even then, I've seen fake Escher labels. Similarly, technically all my marbled vintage coticules aren't "Les Latneuses" for absolute certain, but most people still call them that.

It's a nice green Thuri, anyway. Tended to feel a touch waxy when it wore in to my touch... if you don't like that, using a soft rubbing stone should keep the surface a bit more matte.

I've been told mine is a Thuri, but I don't have any proof as the top of the wooden box is missing.
What are they used for any way? Mine was a gift.
efrupN18SBCdIaZXLtp7uA.jpg

Took a stab at sniping this hone, hoping that it wasn't as obvious as it looked... wound up costing me a pretty penny because it was... but still, nice little two-tone. Was probably a 10x2" that someone broke. Too long to have started as a Barber's Delight.

Attachments

• IMG_2141.JPG
    IMG_2141.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_2142.JPG
    IMG_2142.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_2143.JPG
    IMG_2143.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_2144.JPG
    IMG_2144.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 30
This showed up today from here (Thanks again sir). Spent just over an hour with a worn out dmt (was afraid a fresh atoma would be too aggressive) cycling lapping and chamfering but got all chips safely removed and a ready to go surface.
I thought it was blue but set it next to a boxed stone I know is dark blue and a bought stone I know is light green and I’m now convinced it’s either blue-green or light green. Not really any way to confirm but I’ll be doing the only test that matters tonight and that’s using it.
Dark Blue on left, light green bout on right.
F4597537-41CA-40A5-ADDE-C9A65E8D74B8.jpeg
5848BEF2-1721-4588-AD05-EC292085801B.jpeg
2BCB167C-6602-49DD-8178-74D410CEB59A.jpeg
7B926075-3AA2-4C12-A22C-58CF86103FDC.jpeg
F4597537-41CA-40A5-ADDE-C9A65E8D74B8.jpeg
5848BEF2-1721-4588-AD05-EC292085801B.jpeg
2BCB167C-6602-49DD-8178-74D410CEB59A.jpeg
7B926075-3AA2-4C12-A22C-58CF86103FDC.jpeg

Pretty. congrats. eBay?
It was from a chap in Germany he is a big Collector of Escher, coticule etc he has some nice natural hones .

I have tried the Escher twice so need more practise with it.

the surface is silky smooth and so nice in use .

i

what I have done so far is used just water strokes. The razor I used was honed and shaving great at the 12 k level . After 50 strokes on the Escher with water I was not that happy with the edge and for some reason the edge was not as smooth as I thought .

secondly used slurry like it says on the label and the next shave was smoother.
Second shave with more stubble the slurry edge was lacking a tad of keenness.

so I quickly did 100 strokes on water and I could feel a difference but not one that moved me.

I just need more time to get the best out of the Escher.

Any tips would be apreciated?

the Escher may be pretty fast with water maybe I will try less strokes.

I presume it’s hard to over hone with Escher?

Exactly.

"Overhoning" is either "Bad stone" that you actually DON'T WANT to finish on, so when you do the results are bad and you call it overhoned or "Bad honing" where you damage the blade by being sloppy when honing and blame the stone.

Whenever someone would describe a stone as "You need to be careful not to overhone on it", that always made me nod and go "mmhmm, so it's a bad hone, got it."

Well I have tried my Escher after the 10 k naniwa this time with water and the results were smoother . Maybe I am expecting to much , having used a 20 k suehiro for some time
Nothing but consistent smooth results.

Exactly.

"Overhoning" is either "Bad stone" that you actually DON'T WANT to finish on, so when you do the results are bad and you call it overhoned or "Bad honing" where you damage the blade by being sloppy when honing and blame the stone.

Whenever someone would describe a stone as "You need to be careful not to overhone on it", that always made me nod and go "mmhmm, so it's a bad hone, got it."
Could the phrase "over honing" be tied to sticking or suction? I never could get my head around what was meant be it. I just know that I try to avoid sticking or suction, not at all sure what most guys do.

BTW that little black hone I have will not self slurry, its hard. Despite what the label says. Is that common with the black ones?

Top Bottom