What's new

Escher/Thuringian love. show of your rocks

Does anyone have a barely used or almost NOS 10" Escher they can weigh for me? I've sold all but one of mine, it has a good bit of wear and I'm trying to estimate what a full 10x2x1" one should weigh.

Mine has been lapped few times. Sits at 1033 g.

fullsizeoutput_1f6f.jpeg

Those larger 10” stones, are they always 2” wide or were any ever narrower?

I have this big 10 I have just chalked up as a good performing dark slate. Has a color streak in it but not full 2” wide.

What do you think? Thuri or just a slate like I thought before?

1BD052A3-58F4-4D4C-A623-DA06DB02D8C5.jpeg
48176031-D1E8-41FC-89A8-F903147D2319.jpeg
4633C4CE-B7A4-4323-9923-3D7285ED9603.jpeg
95065726-6688-457B-BFE6-A1E61125BBD8.jpeg
9391F5E2-9CEC-44B3-820D-7FF0A0B5B9F2.jpeg

Attachments

• 70D2D157-7D68-4FA5-AAF6-0CC3AA5C688D.jpeg
    70D2D157-7D68-4FA5-AAF6-0CC3AA5C688D.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 8
Reactions: CCR
That was the one you bought from me thinking about a backing stone? Not a thuringian. They used to turn up in the ny area regularly but dried up. I still have one or two. I class it as a prefinisher. 8-10k

Almost always have the band.. Slightly scrapey feedback, better with something in the water.
s-l1600 (3).jpg

It was something that was exploited in the past, but from where I am not fully sure. It feels nothing like vermont slate or uk slate really...

Oh that is funny. I think I got it off eBay but didn’t remember it was you. Not sure what you mean about for backing, but my memory sucks.

It is one of the few stones I use a lather on but that really wakes it up and changes performance. Feels weird every time I do it but works like a charm on it. Long and narrow so can do some good work on it.

I think remember reading in the past you talking about NY slates up there. From the back, they are some older stones.

Anyway, thanks for the ID and confirmation.

There was a time when I was finding these at pretty regular intervals in fleas in ancient boxes. If you ever lap the back without the band it would probably have a little more to give.

Gents,

I don’t really know anything about Eschers, except for their reputation, and that they are very expensive.

This one is 5.5x2.5x.9, and I just purchased it for what I believe was a reasonable price. Is this a yellow-green?

Since it isn’t coming with a rub stone, what is the next best way to raise a slurry or should I just finish on water?

what is the best way to seal the bottom to preserve what is left of the sticker?

Any more information would be greatly appreciated! I think it will clean up very nicely!

Thanks!

Vr

Matt
View attachment 1157730
Gents,

I don’t really know anything about Eschers, except for their reputation, and that they are very expensive.

This one is 5.5x2.5x.9, and I just purchased it for what I believe was a reasonable price. Is this a yellow-green?

Since it isn’t coming with a rub stone, what is the next best way to raise a slurry or should I just finish on water?

what is the best way to seal the bottom to preserve what is left of the sticker?

Any more information would be greatly appreciated! I think it will clean up very nicely!

Thanks!

Vr

Matt
View attachment 1157730View attachment 1157731

Perhaps since this is 5.5x2.5 is what’s called a Barbers Gem?
View attachment 1157734

A lot of Eschers sold in paper boxes are 5x2.5". All different colors. I have a NOS DB, some YGs etc. The size doesn't make them a Barbers Gem. After all the searching I have yet to find a boxed BG. The same goes for Barbers delight. I have a Blue Green 6x2 but a true Delight has to be in a red box, YG and from what I have read dual tone.
From Sebastians/RLS website he refers to the 6x2 size as Rasierstube.

A lot of Eschers sold in paper boxes are 5x2.5". All different colors. I have a NOS DB, some YGs etc. The size doesn't make them a Barbers Gem. After all the searching I have yet to find a boxed BG. The same goes for Barbers delight. I have a Blue Green 6x2 but a true Delight has to be in a red box, YG and from what I have read dual tone.
From Sebastians/RLS website he refers to the 6x2 size as Rasierstube.

I don't understand.
If its labeled and a 5x2.5 then its a Barbers Gem. Its the only size they came in.

So every 5x2.5 is a barber's gem irrespective of color?

I don't know...
No specific color was given in the descriptions for Gem or Delight.
Do you have some indication that it has to be a specific color?
It seems that the size designated the names. I have never seen a stone or label that stated "Barbers Gem"
If you have one I would love to see it.
Barber delights are always Y/G it seems but who's to say?.
Do you have a labeled 6x2 Escher that is not Y/G? I would say it is a Barbers Delight.
Maybe Hatzicho knows.

I don't know either about the Gem, just what I have read but never manage to find one. There were some threads I have seen on the other forum.
On the 6x2, yes I have a NOS Blue Green. Sebastian who has the Razorlovestones website refers to the 6x2 as Rasierstube, Barber shop. He has a dark blue listed on his website.
The reason for my deduction, and this might be wrong I am not claiming expertise, was that since they had multiple stones/colors in the 6x2 version but only the dual tone YG/BG made it to the Barbers delight red box that the gem followed a similar pattern.
Both Peter and Sebastian are on this forum so hopefully they chime in with some more info.

I don't know either about the Gem, just what I have read but never manage to find one. There were some threads I have seen on the other forum.
On the 6x2, yes I have a NOS Blue Green. Sebastian who has the Razorlovestones website refers to the 6x2 as Rasierstube, Barber shop. He has a dark blue listed on his website.
The reason for my deduction, and this might be wrong I am not claiming expertise, was that since they had multiple stones/colors in the 6x2 version but only the dual tone YG/BG made it to the Barbers delight red box that the gem followed a similar pattern.
Both Peter and Sebastian are on this forum so hopefully they chime in with some more info.

Haven't seen Sebastion in some time!
The photo David just provided sure looks Blue to me so that would quash the idea.
Not sure I have seen too many colors in the 6x2 size labeled. Always seem to be Y/G.
It just seem odd that no color is designated for these items - only size which makes me think it is not color biased.
Still don't know though.

Gents,

Mine has the same label on the back as the one on the left, and it is 5x2.5 the same size as the Barbers Gem.

In addition it looks like this after I spent an hour cleaning it up...note the main surface color, and the dual blue stripe towards the bottom on the side.

I’ll call it a Barbers Gem without the box, and without rub stone. That being said, I purchased a yellow/green Thuringian rub stone off of Griffith Shaving Goods, and it arrives Friday.

The title really doesn’t matter, I am just happy to have what appears to be a sweet Escher that will likely last me through to the end!

Vr

Matt

76BAED96-61FA-4F78-8CAB-4F3F9A2C49E9.jpeg
1FDCC38E-689D-4AA1-A6D8-ED0BA2AC688E.jpeg
76F876E9-F5F0-4F5F-8238-675946B106B0.jpeg

Haven't seen Sebastion in some time!
The photo David just provided sure looks Blue to me so that would quash the idea.
Not sure I have seen too many colors in the 6x2 size labeled. Always seem to be Y/G.
It just seem odd that no color is designated for these items - only size which makes me think it is not color biased.
Still don't know though.

Yes definitely blue so unless it's a dual color, they stuck the sticker on the blue part on the Delights, then yeah the color theory is out.

I know there was a gem on a YT video by period woodworker. Let me do some watching and see what he had.

This is my 6x2.

lA9vC69jR1GjPMP1pqEqbQ.jpg
fullsizeoutput_1f08.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1f0b.jpeg

Top Bottom