What's new

Escher or Thuringian

Do you prefer an Escher or a Thuringian?

• Escher

• Thuri

• Neither - please comment if so.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I have both of these stones but I want to purchase a new toy so I would like to let one go but not sure which is better provides a better edge in your opinion. Do you guys prefer one over the other? I know that these may be considered similar stones. The Escher does not have any labels. I'll post a photo of them in a moment.

Everything I have read says that they are the same stone except for the collectible aspect of the Escher. My advice, normally, would be to sell the Escher since you can get more for it and keep the Thuri. Since the Escher doesn't have the label, though, it doesn't really matter... just keep whichever one you happen to like better.

Everything I have read says that they are the same stone except for the collectible aspect of the Escher. My advice, normally, would be to sell the Escher since you can get more for it and keep the Thuri. Since the Escher doesn't have the label, though, it doesn't really matter... just keep whichever one you happen to like better.

Thank you for your input.

An Escher is a labeled Thuringian distributed under the Escher brand. Same stone as any other Thuringian.

Test the edges off both a few times... Ideally with identical razors you have someone shuffle for you so you can do it blindly. If one consistently gives superior shaves, keep it. If neither does, keep whichever one you like better. This is the technique I've used to sort through the hundred or so finishers I've gone through so far.

I've owned over a dozen labeled Eschers. The only ones I've still got are ones I haven't found time to sell yet. I've owned several times as many non-Escher Thuringians, so probability took effect and my best finishers are non-Eschers.

This is like asking if you prefer apples, .....or apples. They both are the same stone from the same quarry, and they will all generally give the same kind of edge. The differences within the family of Thuringians and Eschers are much smaller than the differences between Eschers/Thuringians and other families of hones.

You might find you like Golden Delicious or Jonathan or even Granny Smith. But when it comes down to it, the premium you pay for an Escher will not give much of a different edge. Will a yellow/green Escher cut quicker than a dark blue Thuringian? Perhaps. But I'd go as far as to say that for a great many people, honing skill will produce as much variance in edge quality as the Escher/Thurry itself.

They are the same stone.
And since a good, boxed Thuri is about 1/10 of the price of a labelled Escher, I choose Thuri...

Never had an Escher, but I love the edge from my Thury.

Looking forward to comparing it with my Frankonian, if it gets here within the next ten years.:glare:

Top Bottom