What's new

Ericsson Safety Razor (1931)

Acquired in a lot this week, the Ericsson would date from c.1931 based upon its patent date. It thus predates the Grand Shave King in focusing its design on lather management, here with a plate design which allows for an Old Type geometry but allowing lather to more easily pass through.

It's a very fine shave, slightly mild but efficient as you'd expect from the nice rigid geometry.
proxy.php

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

Very cool, great score!!

Mild trumps OT’s - anytime, at least for this soft young face :001_rolle
One day I'll do a side by side with my Fatip Gentile. Ericsson is definitely a better shave than the too mild Merkur Old Type clone or the Razorock.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
It's rare to see a scalloped base plate in any razor, open comb with a scalloped base plate makes the razor very unique. It seem's to get a razor to the top of the competitive heap of razor Mfg's you had to promote some gimmick or propitiatory blade that was better than your competitor's.
Jim, Thanks for sharing a interesting razor from the past.

It's rare to see a scalloped base plate in any razor, open comb with a scalloped base plate makes the razor very unique. It seem's to get a razor to the top of the competitive heap of razor Mfg's you had to promote some gimmick or propitiatory blade that was better than your competitor's.
Yup. Going against Gillette would have been tough without something unusual to offer.

I've yet to find any ads for this razor, but their 1934 offering, the "Two Way" was advertised but probably not outside New York.

You may have seen my French "Perfector" which has a scalloped plate but it wouldn't be as effective in lather pass through.
proxy.php

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
You may have seen my French "Perfector" which has a scalloped plate but it wouldn't be as effective in lather pass through.
proxy.php

The promotors in those days were way ahead in thinking from previous razors on new and possibly better designs.
I was looking a Ronson and Stahly razors lately and those owner designers were way out there in thought. They were making razors for the upper middle class folks who could afford them. The 1930's was brutal for razor manufactures during the great depression and some could not make it.

The promotors in those days were way ahead in thinking from previous razors on new and possibly better designs.
I was looking a Ronson and Stahly razors lately and those owner designers were way out there in thought. They were making razors for the upper middle class folks who could afford them. The 1930's was brutal for razor manufactures during the great depression and some could not make it.
Yes the Stahly is insane in its complexity and sophistication. Haven't yet tried the Ronson.

Like Segal, it appears the safety razor was a side business for Ericsson.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Acquired in a lot this week, the Ericsson would date from c.1931 based upon its patent date. It thus predates the Grand Shave King in focusing its design on lather management, here with a plate design which allows for an Old Type geometry but allowing lather to more easily pass through.

It's a very fine shave, slightly mild but efficient as you'd expect from the nice rigid geometry.
proxy.php

Looking at my photo (2015) I've owned this razor for some time but only a handful of shaves.

Used it again yesterday and today -- good design, reminds me of a cross between an old type and a New.

full

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Really nice razor, and the teeth are nice and straight. I think I would replate it !
Well, for one thing, I don't think it was ever plated and no outfits plate Zamak last I heard.

The @jmudrick razor seems to have been lightly buffed at some point.

It is a pretty cool razor, though!

Really interesting. Thanks for posting this J. :thumbup1:

I was immediately reminded of my beloved (Bakelite and brass) 1945 Knockout:
K9.jpg
K10.jpg

and its superb "between the plate and cap" drainage design. :cornut:

K7.jpg

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I was immediately reminded of my beloved (Bakelite and brass) 1945 Knockout:

and its superb "between the plate and cap" drainage design. :cornut:

Nothing quite as flow-through as this machined brass Golf ASAN