What's new

Erasmic Shaving Cream...well, hello!

Erasmic is one of those names I associate with the 1960s, before I started shaving. It seemed to be a regular in corner shops and chemists in the UK, but fell off my personal radar when I eventually started shaving in the 1970s. I've never knowingly tried it, in fact I didn't even know that the brand still existed.

Until I saw a tube of lather shave cream in an old-fashioned chemists a while back. It was very cheap and of course I bought some to try, which I did this morning. I have to say that first impressions are extremely positive: it has a pleasant cologne-style scent, with citrus notes - not a million miles away from the scent of 4711 to my mind (or nose). Although I like uncomplicated scents for my soaps and creams, it was fine for me and not in the least overpowering. Its performance though was outstanding. I can't think of another soap or cream that I've used that has better lubricity - it really was amazingly slick and gave a fantastic cushion for the shave itself. The lather was rich and unctuous, and didn't degrade at all during three passes and touch-ups: it didn't start to collapse or dissipate, just kept giving for pass after pass. Post-shave feel was very refreshing and moisturised.

It seems to be an unsung little gem - it doesn't seem to get many mentions on B&B so I felt compelled to sing its praises. Any other Erasmic fans out there?

"Erasmic"is another cream that I've seen mentioned from time to time on B&B, but I haven't gotten around to trying yet.

Last edited:
Love this cream. Very dense lather. I have used all I had, though. The scent could be improved, I think, but it isn't unpleasant at all.

How is the post shave feel? I'm always looking for something that has good"Moisturizing"qualities.

Last edited:
Nice and moisturised - my skin is partial to drying out, but not a problem with the Erasmic.

I only know the older version of Erasmic which I still like a lot the odd time I use it. The bowled glycerine soap is also great, but the sticks...............I agree with Malocchio. They're lousy.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Bought a tube of this yesterday, and when I got home I had an abysmal shave with it. My fault. I used too much water. I'm not very experienced with creams.

Tried again today, used less water, and there was a world of difference. Very nice lather, for very little cost. Highly amusing "Not to be used children under 3 years of age" warning too. :D

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Red box, grey tube, just says shave cream rather than lather cream, but the instructions say to use a brush. I don't know what variations there are, so I don't know if I've answered your question or not.

Red box, grey tube, just says shave cream rather than lather cream, but the instructions say to use a brush. I don't know what variations there are, so I don't know if I've answered your question or not.
There are different versions of the same cream.
Different formulas.
proxy.php

I used to use the cream with the small red cap. It was good stuff. Unique medicinal smell unlike any other cream. I don’t see it mentioned much. Superlather.com used to have the distribution hookup for it.

I often use the version available cheaply in Bodycare stores in the UK and like everything about it, with the possible exception of the small tube sizes

I agree , a very pleasant to use cream..The current Erasmic stick is horrible however...

I picked up two vintage erasmic soap sticks a few months back. One from the late 60's and one from mid 70's. I've used the earlier one and its sooooo good, lathers like a demon, slick, post shave is like a cloud on the face. But the new stuff is something you wouldnt give ya worst enemy.

As for the cream. The tin tube with small red cap was reformulated into a new plastic like tube with a big balck cap, they stopped promoting the use of conconut oil apparently. They now do an improved re formulation thats dirt cheap and is superb.

If ya google erasmic theres all sorts of info about the brand.

I had a tube waiting to be used and finally gave it a couple of tries. Again, hard to beat the price for an excellent cream. Somewhat of an Ivory soap scent to me and that's fine. Great cushion and slickness. Wil be my travel take along for certain.

I used to use the cream with the small red cap. It was good stuff. Unique medicinal smell unlike any other cream. I don’t see it mentioned much. Superlather.com used to have the distribution hookup for it.
I recall I tried the version with the red cap too, back when I was but a pilgrim wandering in the wilderness of DE shaving. (I was still using my Merkur 23c; that's how long ago that was.) Nice stuff, but then my only comparison was with Palmolive in the tube and the Edge shaving gel.

I use their glycerin soap in the bowl all the time; very good slick stuff.

I recall I tried the version with the red cap too, back when I was but a pilgrim wandering in the wilderness of DE shaving. (I was still using my Merkur 23c; that's how long ago that was.) Nice stuff, but then my only comparison was with Palmolive in the tube and the Edge shaving gel.

I use their glycerin soap in the bowl all the time; very good slick stuff.

Well, I was probably using Gillette Swedes or Polsilvers made in Poland, so that shows how long ago that was. Plus, I don't remember the last time Superlather.com had any inventory.

Top Bottom