What's new

equipment for a lady

I bought this Parker safety razor for my girl
049B1C82-55C1-41B9-A72F-463D376BA438.jpeg

It’s mild and has a butterfly type top which she says reminds her of a razor her grandad used to use.

A cream would be nice and easy to use, maybe a Taylor’s Grapefruit or Lemon and Lime, those are great scents.
If she doesn’t like animal hair then the body shop brush would probably do though it is quite stiff.
I bought my girl a Yaqi Silvertip badger with a nice big 26 mm knot to hold a ton of lather. Badger feels great on the skin and holds lots of warm water like nothing else.

A nice Wedgewood lathering bowl would be a nice touch
563E7C52-3018-4198-9AE2-D31B2FC6DA14.jpeg

Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm is good stuff, non stinging and my girl says very soothing.

Aspinalls of London make this nice ladies dopp bag
578C6CDF-AF43-469B-B318-8BE2D8176AFE.jpeg

That’s her sorted and you’ll get change out of £500 for everything.
Drop the bag and the bowl and you’ll get the rest for less than £50 easy.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
My wife currently shaves her legs (once in a while, not very often) with canned shaving cream and disposable razors (the pink BIC type).
She sees how I enjoy my shaving routine (Merkur 38C and Mühle Silvertip fibre M (so synthetic, no badger), handful of soaps/croaps/creams). And she is focussed on reducing waste.
So once the can is empty, she's start lathering herself, once the disposable razors run out, she'll start De shaving.
Now here are my questions:
- the brush: what brush would you recommend, does she need a larger size since there's more leg than face? (no badgers, synthetic only)?
- Do lady's bowllather, or is there a leg-lathering counterpart to face-lathering?
- What razor would you recommend (I thought: open comb maybe, since she shaves only sporadically? And ultra-safe!)
- Other suggestions (maybe based on experience?)
I didn't see this thread or I wouldn't have started one... my bad.. I'm trying to come up with something that would enable my wife to enjoy shaving as much as I do.

linty1

My wallet cries.
I understand wanting to set her up with some good stuff, but also why not just ask her or let her try a few items? And from there get her own items?

edit: sorry if that came off as dimissive, definately not what I was going for, but yes, it will be nice to watch another person go through their own journey with you, fun times

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
My wife's current setup is:

Kiss my Face Lavender and Shea brushless shave cream.
RazoRock Mamba .53 with a long aftermarket West Coast Shaving stainless steel handle.
Derby Premium or Derby Usta blade

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I understand wanting to set her up with some good stuff, but also why not just ask her or let her try a few items? And from there get her own items?

edit: sorry if that came off as dimissive, definately not what I was going for, but yes, it will be nice to watch another person go through their own journey with you, fun times
I'm not remotely offended by your comment, even before the edit. I'm just a little lost on how to start. I chose to leave cartridge shaving because our son got me started. I would like to return the favor for my wife but I'm really not sure how to accomplish that.

I don't have a lot of items for her to try. I only have two razors... that's why I mentioned the RR Lupo DE aluminum in the thread I started. My other razor is a Claymore Evolution... an AC SE razor. I'm not quite sure how that would work on legs... but who knows?

I could start by lathering up one of my soaps for her to try.... maybe even have her use the Baume.be pre-shave I just got. She isn't all that interested.... that's why I'm looking for sound advice. And it could be... she'll just stick with Gillette cartridge shaving. It isn't the worst thing in the world.

Let her test drive your best kit; your favorite brush, razor, blade, and soap combo. You will get instant feedback…trust me. If your kit is rubbish, you will have free reign to upgrade with impunity. If she loves anything in your kit, it’s hers no questions asked…you go buy yourself a replacement. My daughter has laid claim to my best kit…they are hers alone now. Kinda like being the family cook, everyone else serves themselves before the chef serves up.

Same here: no offence taken at all. And I'm sure she'll test, experience and choose enjoying her own journey. I was just wondering if I could use the B&B knowledge to offer her a wider perspective of options and possibilities than my own limited experience and setup.

I mentioned the Henson because if she nicks herself or gets razor burn you will likely never get her to return for another try, if she is like my wife. I got her a Henson mild in her preferred color and she loves it. She won't go back to a disposable razor and she gets a worry free shave. She can't nick herself or give herself skinned places. Just my two cents.

My wife does not even bother with my soaps. She uses her Johnson's Baby Soap in the shower to shave with, using the Henson mild. The mild used to be called the women's razor, I believe.

(If she likes green, I know a place that still has those in stock, but it is overseas. Olive replaced that color.)

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I mentioned the Henson because if she nicks herself or gets razor burn you will likely never get her to return for another try, if she is like my wife. I got her a Henson mild in her preferred color and she loves it. She won't go back to a disposable razor and she gets a worry free shave. She can't nick herself or give herself skinned places. Just my two cents.

My wife does not even bother with my soaps. She uses her Johnson's Baby Soap in the shower to shave with, using the Henson mild. The mild used to be called the women's razor, I believe.

(If she likes green, I know a place that still has those in stock, but it is overseas. Olive replaced that color.)

I can't thank you enough for your post. I am buying my wife a Henson mild. In Coral when it becomes available.

I can't thank you enough for your post. I am buying my wife a Henson mild. In Coral when it becomes available.
That is great! You can join us in the Henson Razor Club, here. Just make sure she keeps the flat against her skin and the shave will be so smooth she will not realize it is working.

Top Bottom