What's new

equipment for a lady

My wife currently shaves her legs (once in a while, not very often) with canned shaving cream and disposable razors (the pink BIC type).
She sees how I enjoy my shaving routine (Merkur 38C and Mühle Silvertip fibre M (so synthetic, no badger), handful of soaps/croaps/creams). And she is focussed on reducing waste.
So once the can is empty, she's start lathering herself, once the disposable razors run out, she'll start De shaving.
Now here are my questions:
- the brush: what brush would you recommend, does she need a larger size since there's more leg than face? (no badgers, synthetic only)?
- Do lady's bowllather, or is there a leg-lathering counterpart to face-lathering?
- What razor would you recommend (I thought: open comb maybe, since she shaves only sporadically? And ultra-safe!)
- Other suggestions (maybe based on experience?)

Not much help, but Synth and Barber Style handle sounds about right (Razorock 400?).
Cream might be easier to handle than a hard soap.
Consensus seems to be a longer handle for more reach.

I suggest long handles for the brush and razor. Leaf is a good body shaver and head shaver. Leaf is a poor face shaver due to the size of the head. WCS and Muhle make women’s razor and or all gender. They all seem to have blade tabs covered and longer handle. I don’t think I have seen an oc body shaver. Leaf can be adjusted 1-3 blades and blades placed in different positions. If I were to shave my legs I would grab my pereria unbreakable shave bowl - the built in brush holder is nice and shave with - and a Leaf in the shower. A longer brush I think would also make sense to speed application. I would go synthetic because it would be spending time in the shower. A plastic stand does not rust in the shower - not the best location to keep a brush - but it’s dry where I live and I would not be using an expensive brush in the shower. Stirling and Mike’s Natural sell refill pucks which cut down on some of the hard plastic as well as a few others vendors. Cella and some Italian soaps come in barber size with less hard plastic. Croap in hard non-reusable plastic cases gets the least environmental mileage imo. Check out your local small business soap makers. Some great ladies have chimed in on these topics in the past.

If the ladies shave their air pits, they need to be careful as the skin is tender.

For shaving legs, nearly any shaving implement is suitable, including use of a straight razor.

Because the skin of the legs is not typically as sensitive as the face, less expensive shaving soaps or creams may work. I would suggest that even shampoo or conditioner is worth trying. However, if the lady has legs that are insured with Lloyds of London, then using a top tier soap may be in order.

My wife uses a Harry’s razor, she won’t give that up. She has a larger synthetic brush, she won’t do natural hair. And Stirling soaps and body butters. When she runs out, she keeps the tubs and orders refills.

Hi,

My wife uses Mary Kay for Men canned stuff, so no brush, and a Lady Gillette DE razor. She greatly prefers the longer handle.

Stan

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
If you’re using a Mühle Medium Silvertip Fibre, she obviously needs the XL brush with the olivewood handle.

Would a Merkur 39C — their slant razor with the longer handle — be the right razor?

For legs I think the above suggestions of the leaf or the henson. Either one will be much more comfortable than a cartridge or disposable. If she goes a long time between shaves than maybe the leaf because you can put in one, two or three blades and has a long handle and bends kind of like a cartridge. If she shaves more often then it would be hard to beat the henson. Super comfortable, safe and lightweight like a disposable but with a much better blade.
I don't have any opinion on soaps or foam or gel. I actually use them all depending on time constraints and mood in my daily face shaving.

Two suggestions:
Lady Gillette for the razor (after all, your wife is a lady!)
Haslinger makes great soaps, including one designed for women.

Congratulations on making a convert!! :thumbup1::thumbup1:

My wife tried the Henson and the Leaf. The Leaf is the clear winner for her. A vintage Schick injector (I would recommend J) is another smooth, mild, yet quite efficient option.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
My wife currently shaves her legs (once in a while, not very often) with canned shaving cream and disposable razors (the pink BIC type).
She sees how I enjoy my shaving routine (Merkur 38C and Mühle Silvertip fibre M (so synthetic, no badger), handful of soaps/croaps/creams). And she is focussed on reducing waste.
So once the can is empty, she's start lathering herself, once the disposable razors run out, she'll start De shaving.
Now here are my questions:
- the brush: what brush would you recommend, does she need a larger size since there's more leg than face? (no badgers, synthetic only)?
- Do lady's bowllather, or is there a leg-lathering counterpart to face-lathering?
- What razor would you recommend (I thought: open comb maybe, since she shaves only sporadically? And ultra-safe!)
- Other suggestions (maybe based on experience?)
About all I can say is to not let her use yours. My wife did that and ruined the blade. I don’t recall her using any lather as she shaved in the bath tub. Canned cream would be about as good as any although she may enjoy a brush. If a brush is used, I would recommend cream from a tube and then just “leg lather” and not fool with a bowl. BTW, I bought her a brand new blue Lady Gillette and my problem was solved.

My wife loves her Henson. She's only tried Astra SP blades and uses plain Dove soap.

She says that it's the best thing she's ever tried for under her arms and also stated that a dab of Cella Bio cuts through the deodorant.

For body hair I personally prefer a mild open comb like the Merkur 25c. Less likely to clog if it’s been a few or more days. For lather, I usually just hand lather Dr. Bronners.

The soap that I use is actually marketed to lady’s. It comes with a warning “Your husband may steal this one from you.”

4D692DD1-559F-493E-A302-F333749F61A3.jpeg29083906-2E42-45F2-80EC-F2FE0A356DC0.jpeg

She could also find an Edwin Jagger Lady Heather on Amazon for $25. My daughter asked me to grab one for her, I think she plans on stealing my Lavender and Honey Shaving Soap.

88A0E4DC-8B13-4139-B177-5B0F5674A9E8.jpeg

My wife uses a Henson standard/mild AL13. She shaves legs and under her arms. That razor is smooth and safe. She has to follow the set angle, but that is a plus. It is an each switch from the Bic disposables. That razor also comes in at least 8 colors, so she has choices and can choose her favorite color. That's a good thing. My wife chose red and it is a nicer red than the pictures show. You can read about them here: Henson AL13 - https://hensonshaving.com/products/aluminum-al13-1?variant=32799794724944

Shaving creams are easy to get a good lather. I have a video somewhere that shows the proper method. We use La Toja. It has salts that come from a volcanic hot spring in Spain. It is soft and powdery smelling and not strong. It won't compete with her other scents. However, if you have a brick and mortar shop in your area, why not take her there and let her smell the shaving creams and look at brushes? You certainly can find a nice brush in her favorite color, too.

Top Bottom