What's new

Epsilon horse hair brush

5BCDC39A-F4ED-4DFD-86AF-3B17B92F9A84.jpeg
Just pulled the trigger on a brown Epsilon horse hair brush from Gifts and Care. I purchased a Cremo branded Vie-Long (12601) from Target a couple months ago but haven’t been completely satisfied with the somewhat sparse and floppy knot. The Epsilon has a 26mm knot, 50mm loft, and a 35% mane 65% tail mix, so hoping it’ll remedy my issues. Anyways, did some searching but it appears not a large amount of people have written about Epsilon brushes. Anyone have any experience with them? Lastly, are they affiliated with Vie-Long or is Epsilon it’s own entity? Either way looking forward to tying it out!

Vie-Long makes brushes for Epsilon, which is the Gifts & Care in-house brand.

My experience with horse hair brushes has not been stellar and I found brown horse hair Vie-Long brushes to be shedders, prone to tangle.

White horse hair brushes, by comparison, turned out to be better, but the prickly feel (I shave predominantly with Silvertip or Super Badgers) of horse hair brushes may not be to everyone’s taste.
Shavers often comment aboy the strong odour, but I did not find it something that was much worse than boar, or couldn’t be taken care of with shampoo.

B.

Vie-Long makes brushes for Epsilon, which is the Gifts & Care in-house brand.

My experience with horse hair brushes has not been stellar and I found brown horse hair Vie-Long brushes to be shedders, prone to tangle.

White horse hair brushes, by comparison, turned out to be better, but the prickly feel (I shave predominantly with Silvertip or Super Badgers) of horse hair brushes may not be to everyone’s taste.
Shavers often comment aboy the strong odour, but I did not find it something that was much worse than boar, or couldn’t be taken care of with shampoo.

B.
Unfortunate you had a bad experience with the brown horse hair. The other horse hair I own hasn’t exhibited any issues, I’m just seeking a denser, fuller version. How would your brown Vie-Long brush compare to the white horse brush you own, had the Vie-Long had zeros issues in regards to the tangling and shedding you mentioned?

Unfortunate you had a bad experience with the brown horse hair. The other horse hair I own hasn’t exhibited any issues, I’m just seeking a denser, fuller version. How would your brown Vie-Long brush compare to the white horse brush you own, had the Vie-Long had zeros issues in regards to the tangling and shedding you mentioned?

That would be plural, like in “brown horse hair brushes”.
If I remember correctly, I had about 3, maybe 4, brown horse hair brushes from Vie-Long and they all behaved the same.

As they seemed to combine many qualities I like, to minimize shipping costs, and as I did not have to pay VAT, I ordered two brushes each time together with some other shaving supplies. First time I noticed the shedding and tangling, I thought it might have been my fault, or bad luck, but results with a brown horse hair brush bought later were consistent.

As I subsequently learned from Simpsons instructions, I would probably see nowadays if “light to-and-fro strokes” {Simpsons} rather than circular movement might cure the shedding. Tangling has, however, been frequently reported for horse hair shaving brushes.

I don’t want to talk anybody out of trying horse hair shaving brushes and luckily they are not that expensive (compared to some badger brushes), hence there is no big damage done, but maybe it might be a good idea to try a white one first, possibly in combination with a brown one.

The mane/tail hair ratio is 50/50 for white Viel-Long brushes and 35/65 for brown ones I believe, which makes in theory for a softer white brush, but I do not recall a noticeable difference in feel and the white ones still have plenty of backbone (compared to Super Badger).

Good luck with your choice...

B.

Top Bottom