What's new

Epsilon horse brush review

Hey guys, hope everyone’s holidays are going well! Just wanted to give a review and my impressions of this horse brush I just received. As the title states I ordered a brown horse hair brush made by Epsilon of Vie-Long from Giftsandcare.com

The brush cost a grand total of $45.05 including shipping and tax. I ordered it on December 10th and it arrived in Nevada on December 21st from Spain. Gifts and care got it shipped out very quickly and it arrived well packaged with lots of bubble wrap and a great looking brush box. The specs- It’s handmade in Spain. It features a 26mm knot, 50mm loft, handle length 45mm, overall length 95mm, and a 35% mane 65% tail hair ratio. Apart from a one mm knot difference the specs are the same as a Simpson chubby 2.

I did a preliminary shampoo with it before shaving, although it had very little funk out of the box. It did have a slight barn smell when wet, however I think it will dissipate quickly. The soap used was Mitchell’s wool fat, Gillette fat boy, and a Gillette yellow blade on its second shave. About 3 days of facial growth.

The brush loaded up great off the puck which I bloomed while in the shower. It did lose about 6 hairs on its first use but I’m willing to attribute that to a break in period if it subsides the next few shaves. I bowl lathered and it whipped up a fantastic lather very quickly. The shave itself was very nice.

The brush was a bit of a lather hog but not overly so. Fantastic backbone with surprisingly soft tips. There was a bit of scrub bordering on slight scritch. I prefer that in a brush myself, some don’t. It splayed well when some pressure was applied to the face.

All in all I’m very happy with it thus far. I think about two weeks worth of shaves with it and it will really hit it’s stride. If you’re considering adding a horse brush to your “stable” I think these brushes deserve a solid look. Especially if you’re a fan of a wall of badger but are willing to try out a wall of horse.

850EAF07-90A7-4E04-92F6-4A63E855ECA8.jpeg
76337309-7DBC-4D5B-A73E-6AF1FC972BEC.jpeg
4084E8DA-17BE-4782-AC66-CAC66286A1AE.jpeg
2C04B236-C4CA-4373-8DAD-17B4D2A677E6.jpeg
2F3C361A-9421-4A22-BF3F-1BB54D28835C.jpeg

Excellent! Thank you! Keep us posted whether it tangles or not after some weeks! I was considering a white hair Epsilon, but my fear is a) hair tangling , b) level of backbone (i read one reviewer saying "very soft and 5mm below the tips, a solid wall". It sounded scary.), c)i wish the knot was smaller (24mm), for facelathering.

However, it is certainly very good value for money. And they have some amazing colour handles.

Excellent! Thank you! Keep us posted whether it tangles or not after some weeks! I was considering a white hair Epsilon, but my fear is a) hair tangling , b) level of backbone (i read one reviewer saying "very soft and 5mm below the tips, a solid wall". It sounded scary.), c)i wish the knot was smaller (24mm), for facelathering.

However, it is certainly very good value for money. And they have some amazing colour handles.
Will do! My other horse brush, the Cremo branded Vie Long (rebranded Vie-Long 12061) I’ve had a couple months and have yet to experience tangling. We’ll see if the same holds true for the Epsilon. These brushes are very dense but I think if you went with the white hair in 50/50 ratio you would be good so long as you do enjoy a decent amount of backbone. As far as a smaller knot it’s quite possible gifts and care would make a smaller one for you. Others might have more experience with customer orders through them though.

Will do! My other horse brush, the Cremo branded Vie Long (rebranded Vie-Long 12061) I’ve had a couple months and have yet to experience tangling. We’ll see if the same holds true for the Epsilon. These brushes are very dense but I think if you went with the white hair in 50/50 ratio you would be good so long as you do enjoy a decent amount of backbone. As far as a smaller knot it’s quite possible gifts and care would make a smaller one for you. Others might have more experience with customer orders through them though.

I have the Vielong 12705 (24x57, 65%-35%). It tangled after one year (although in a very loose rotation). The backbone is very good. Which is why i fear that the backbone of a 26x50 would be too much, to the point i would have to "fight" with the brush to make it splay. Thank you again for all the information.

I have a VieLong 21x50mm (50-50) arriving by January 3. I was just too curious to see for myself, how a shorter loft behaves in backbone and tangling. If it's good and since i will be in Sabbatical, i will convince someone to gift me an Epsilon.

Top Bottom