What's new

Epoxy vs. Silicone adhesive

Going to attempt a restoration. I've seen that some use silicone adhesive to glue knots in. Being that it seems to be an easier method than epoxy was wondering what people's thoughts were on this. Can you use regular construction silicone adhesive or is there a certain type that has to be used? What are the advantages/disadvantages of one over the other? Thanks.

I've used both. I don't notice a difference.

I used the silicone to fill the handle as well as set the knot, added some heft and allowed me to set the knot higher in a hollow handle.

Can you tell me what type of silicone adhesive you used? Home Depot sells some in tubes that require a caulking gun. Is that the right stuff? Any special brand I should look for?

I use Liquid Nails brand silicone adhesive and it works great for me. No caulk gun needed, as its just sold in a tube similar to toothpaste.

I apologize in advance, but this is just too good to pass up.

I saw your title -- "Epoxy vs. Silicone adhesive" -- and the first thing I thought of was "for DENTURES???" :lol:

I apologize in advance, but this is just too good to pass up.

I saw your title -- "Epoxy vs. Silicone adhesive" -- and the first thing I thought of was "for DENTURES???" :lol:

OK, I deserved that! I guess I should have said -for glueing in a knot!

I use the Devcon 5minute epoxy. The two tubes are made together so one squeeze is two equal parts. a quick stir and apply. Very simple and the knot is secure and usable in 15 minutes.

I had some stuff in a tube with the caulking gun (same stuff I used to seal the utility shower in the basement).

The smaller tube (like toothpaste or lotion) is probably easier to manage, but I did fine, you just have to be careful.

I've used both Epoxy (Devcon clear 5-minute) and the Pro Seal Clear RTV Silicone Adhesive & Sealant. Both were purchased at Home Depot. The advantage of the silicone is for filling spaces and the fact that it'd be easier to remove the knot if you misaligned it or wanted to move it to a different handle. As far as durability, I haven't had any problems with either method, but it's only been a few months since I started restoring brushes.

I think I am going to use epoxy, anyone have a bad experience with it. Also what do you use if you have some seep out of the edges? What will clean it up

I think I am going to use epoxy, anyone have a bad experience with it. Also what do you use if you have some seep out of the edges? What will clean it up

It's very, very hard to clean up epoxy if it shoots out around the edges, because you end up with epoxy not only on the handle but also on the knot itself. Some have recommended vinegar, as that stops the epoxy reaction. You can also use some paint thinner or acetone, but that sometimes will dissolve the handle itself! Best is not having epoxy shoot out of the handle to begin with.

How much epoxy do you use? Meaning just enough to cover the bottom of the hole or do you make sure some is on the sides as well but keep it from going out of the handle

Top Bottom