What's new

Epoxy filler - how to make?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I need about 30ml of epoxy filler. The smallest quantity in the big boys toy store is 1 litre for about USD 60.

I have enough Araldite epoxy glue (slow setting) to do the job but needs to be thickened to be a filler. What should I use to thicken the epoxy glue? Preferably something that is readily available in a supermarket.

mrlandpirate

Got lucky with dead badgers
try talcum powder or corn starch do a small test batch to get the consistently right.
you trying to make bondo (auto body filler?)

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
try talcum powder or corn starch do a small test batch to get the consistently right.
you trying to make bondo (auto body filler?)
I have corn starch available. I might give that a go.

Yes, like auto body filler. That was the stuff available for USD 60 per litre.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
We are probably going to need a lot more info.

Is there any heat involved in the final project?
No heat. I am looking to plug the ends of 16mm X 16mm square steel tube in a chair frame. Normally I would use plastic plugs but they are currently not available where I am.

Legion

Staff member
No heat. I am looking to plug the ends of 16mm X 16mm square steel tube in a chair frame. Normally I would use plastic plugs but they are currently not available where I am.
Would silicone sealant work? It would be more flexible and less inclined to break apart over time.

mrlandpirate

Got lucky with dead badgers
What is car body filler made of?

The makeup of car body filler compound consists of multiple elements, including polyester (fibreglass) resin and talc. The talc powder incorporated is the very same as everyday talcum powder. But the grade of the talc is what dictates the type of filler produced.

What is car body filler made of?

The makeup of car body filler compound consists of multiple elements, including polyester (fibreglass) resin and talc. The talc powder incorporated is the very same as everyday talcum powder. But the grade of the talc is what dictates the type of filler produced.

Be careful if you use talcum powder. You want to get one that is as close to pure talc as possible, with fewest additives.

Traditional body filler is usually polyester resin with fine talc filler. Boatbuilders and others that need light weight and strength may use a filler made with tiny hollow spheres of glass aka microballoons.

To cover ends of tubing, there is a product that is like a liquid rubber aka Plasti-Dip. Same as what is used to put a rubber coating on tools such as pliers, etc. Tape the end off, dip into the liquid for several coats.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Thank you for all of your guidance. I will buy a small amount of talcum powder when next in town.

Top Bottom