What's new

Epitome of Barbershop Scents

For me, Pinaud Clubman brings me back to when I'd get that Barber Shop haircut and talc dusting, and it definitely brings back memories of the hot lather around the ears and back of the neck clean up with a straight razor followed by a dusting of clubman talc. I went from fairly long hair down near my shoulders, to a high and tight when I joined ROTC and as I remember it was about 15 below, so the razor cut and Pinaud dusting is very memorable.

Floris 89.
We go to different barbershops.

My barbershop was always big on Bay Rum so to me this was the quintessential barbershop scent along with Pinaud Clubman powder.

Growing up, it was Pinaud Clubman probably from getting my neck dusted with the Clubman talcum powder. Since I returned to a proper barber shop again some years ago, it's Stephan Bay Rum which they use after the shavette clean up.

The first time I picked up Clubman in the pharmacy, I immediately thought "barbershop." Now, Avon is my youth as my mom bought lots of Avon products. Wild Country and Black Suede are the two most prevalent childhood aromas. After haircuts, my mother had my brothers and me take showers to wash our hair and get rid of clippings. This was inevitably followed by Avon splash. So the Avon has a barbershop scent to me as well.

When I first started going to barbershops, those establishments were the sole domain of males. Nearly all barbers were men. If a boy needed a haircut, his father brought him to the shop until he was old enough to walk or ride his bike by himself. The barbershops smelled of worn leather chairs, talcum powder, Barbasol foam, and Pinaud Clubman, Lilac Vegetal or vintage Old Spice or English Leather. There was also the smell of magazine ink, old newspapers, and tobacco. There was often a game of checkers going on in.

Likewise, hair salons were where women went to get their hair washed, cut, bleached, colored straightened, or curled using horrible smelling chemicals. I hated even walking bay the door of one of those places; there is no way I would go in. Barbershops definitely smelled better back then.

Today is different. At least in my area, traditional barbershops are few and far between. Barbers are required to serve women as well as men or potentially be sued for discrimination (It has happened). Similarly, many men like my son-in-law go to hair salons to get their hair cut.

In order to maximize profits, man barbershopd often skip the use of talc and after shave products. The machine made shave lather has minimal scent. My barber even uses a disposable razor to trim my neck; back in the "good ole' days" barbers shaved my neck and around my ears with a traditional straight razor stropped on leather and you could get a full straight razor shave on special occasions. Smoking is prohibited inside all establishments here. Thus, my barbershop has little or no identifiable scent. That makes my shave at home even more enjoyable.

Top Bottom