What's new

Epiphany

Well good evening gents. Recently I participated in a PIF hosted by Grundi in which I was the lucky recipient of a tuck of KAI blades. All that was asked in return was a review of said blades. All was well and they definitely lived up to expectations.

Somewhere along the way, In the interest of scientific research, I decided to try my Gillette adjustables opened up all the way and achieved excellent, drama free results. Hmmmm?

That brings me to tonight's shave. I circled back around to my T-Rex and given the fearsome reputation I, with much trepidation, turned the dial to 6 and set out to see what would happen. Lo and behold my result was the same! This is what I suspect is happening; an aggressive razor/setting coupled with blades that are otherworldly sharp are forcing me to slow down and pay attention technique. Applying what I learned from the Gillettes I was able to tame the mighty Rex with an extremely shallow blade angle on the higher setting along with less than no pressure. All of you Rex owners should give it a go, you may be pleasantly surprised

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Well good evening gents. Recently I participated in a PIF hosted by Grundi in which I was the lucky recipient of a tuck of KAI blades. All that was asked in return was a review of said blades. All was well and they definitely lived up to expectations.

Somewhere along the way, In the interest of scientific research, I decided to try my Gillette adjustables opened up all the way and achieved excellent, drama free results. Hmmmm?

That brings me to tonight's shave. I circled back around to my T-Rex and given the fearsome reputation I, with much trepidation, turned the dial to 6 and set out to see what would happen. Lo and behold my result was the same! This is what I suspect is happening; an aggressive razor/setting coupled with blades that are otherworldly sharp are forcing me to slow down and pay attention technique. Applying what I learned from the Gillettes I was able to tame the mighty Rex with an extremely shallow blade angle on the higher setting along with less than no pressure. All of you Rex owners should give it a go, you may be pleasantly surprised
Funny you should mention this.

I was feeling my oats one evening not long ago and tried my Fatboy (giggle!) on "10".... I was OBVIOUSLY scared to death, so I did what you did: paid close attention to angles, etc....

Had a great shave, which, now that I think of it, is probably why the Kai blade was easy for me to get used to?

If shaving with an adjustable razor opened up all the way to its maximum setting is desirable and wonderful, why not just be done with it, and buy a Muhle R41 and a large carton of Feather DE blades?

Funny you should say that, my R.A.D. has been acting up again lately and the Mühle SS R41 is the reason...

The rex ambassador tends to do better with a steeper angle for myself. I use a feather blade almost every time with my rex ambassador

- Fayiz D.

Kai blades are terrific. A tad wider than most if not all standard blades. They really sing in vintage razors most of all. They are nice and sharp but don’t seem to burn out as fast as Feathers. One of my favorites.

I tried it again tonight. Hot shower prep, Stirling Baker Street soap, Stirling synthetic brush, new Feather blade and the Rex on six. Slow and methodical three pass shave with touch-ups using the weight of the Rex to my advantage. I am convinced that by riding the cap on the higher settings, the Rex is not the beast suggested by it's reputation. Now, would I use this configuration in a rush? No, I would dial it down to a setting that would not result in injury should my lack of time or concentration result in a lapse in technique. And THAT, is why I like adjustables!

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
Yes! all You need to do is buy a Wolfman or two, a charcoal goods and a Rex, of course a timeless and a Karve, an ATT, extra baseplates, stands, and handles, and you should be set! Oh and never read another razor review ever again! Simple as that 😎👍
Okay, it seems I am well on the way to a cure.😇😇😇

If shaving with an adjustable razor opened up all the way to its maximum setting is desirable and wonderful, why not just be done with it, and buy a Muhle R41 and a large carton of Feather DE blades?
LOL. I just did exactly that and have never been so happy with a shave. I never would have believed that would happen.

Top Bottom