What's new

Epiphany--I like mild razors!

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I prefer efficient razors which are also smooth feeling and not prone to biting. I'm not sure what aggressive means other than prone to biting, and rough feeling, and irritating.

David @never-stop-learning talks sometimes about preferring effective razors. I think he and I, and many others, are in pursuit of or already have razors we consider effective (and I hope they're not aggressive).

Other than perhaps terminology I agree 100% with you (I think). Too many passes and too much work and too many strokes and an attempt to make the razor do more than it's designed to do too often leads to a bad shave.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Jim, I think the Wolf which is prowling around outside your den will end your search. Or at least that’s my hope for you.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
I was very lucky to be able to demonstrate efficiency well with as-d2/pils... from the beginning.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Been DE shaving for going on sixty years, usually with something from Gillette or Hoffritz. Never really thought about the "aggressiveness" of any of my razors. I just lathered up and shaved.

But about ten or so years ago, I joined B&B after having used Gillette Good News disposables for a while. As Muhle's R41 was all the rage at the time, I picked one up and had some pretty good shaves with it. Then I grew a beard for a while, and when I returned to clean shaving with the R41, I found it too harsh to use.

Since then, I've been using milder and milder razors with greater and greater success. I can only attribute that to the maturation and refinement of my technique, largely fueled by what I've read here on B&B.

Just goes to show that us old dogs can learn new tricks.

My definition of Effective:

Effective = Efficient + Smooth.

I look for razors that couple the highest efficiency with the smoothest shave.
Same here, although I haven't had formulated a precise definition, now that you've uttered it, I'll use it from now on. Excellent terminology, which fully resembles my thoughts.

Effective = Efficient + Smooth

Gotta say, I find the smooth aspect ever so important, as I really like to relax while shaving, do it on "autopilot", or as you put it - daydream.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Same here, although I haven't had formulated a precise definition, now that you've uttered it, I'll use it from now on. Excellent terminology, which fully resembles my thoughts.

Effective = Efficient + Smooth

Gotta say, I find the smooth aspect ever so important, as I really like to relax while shaving, do it on "autopilot", or as you put it - daydream.

Thank you, Dave. :)

It would seem that it's a progressive journey to the realisation, and appreciation, of the milder razors.
Was this why the market leader in the hey day of the DE razor made all theirs on the milder side?

Top Bottom