What's new

Epicurean cutting boards?

We have a couple of them for kitchen use and have no issues with them. they have withstood the daily use, dishwasher, storing and sliding them around quite well. They don't show any usual wear, outside the normal cuts etc.

I also have a BBQ version with a holder for it (for sauces and tools to rest), the cutting board flips over so you can use it for the raw meat and the cooked meat.

Not cheap up here in Canada, but so far they have been very good for us.

My wife actually purchased the large Pizza Peel for me a while back, but I haven't put it to use yet...soon, very soon.

Last edited:
proxy.php

Here's a couple of boards I have been looking at this weekend.

no expert of the product but looks a bit thin to my eyes. the thinner the board the bigger the chance of warping. and a crooked board is of course no use. I have been using bamboo boards myself for years and to date still my favorite product

I have one with the juice groove. I think that it's hard on the edges of my knives. I don't have any data to support this claim it just seems like the edges deteriorate pretty quickly when I use the Epicurean boards. FWIW this seems to occur with freshly sharpened knives not knives in need of sharpening.

I have one with the juice groove. I think that it's hard on the edges of my knives. I don't have any data to support this claim it just seems like the edges deteriorate pretty quickly when I use the Epicurean boards. FWIW this seems to occur with freshly sharpened knives not knives in need of sharpening.

I've done some testing on different cutting boards over the years and found that Epicurean boards are very tough on knife edges.

Here's my list of worst "cutting boards" for knives....

Ceramic
Glass
Marble
Epicurean
Bamboo

I've done some testing on different cutting boards over the years and found that Epicurean boards are very tough on knife edges.

Ceramic
Glass
Marble
Epicurean
Bamboo

I agree that they are tough on the knives. Bamboo is dependant on which way the grain is facing.

I like mine as it withstands the propane torch and other abuse quite well. You can also save money on a similar board by going to your local restaurant supply store. I picked up a pizza paddle at russell foods for $25. The comparable epicurean was $60+

Ceramic
Glass
Marble
Epicurean
Bamboo

Thanks Dave. I have a bamboo board too and I think it's also tough on edges. What type of testing did you do?

Conversely, what are the best boards to use?

Best is subjective, but I really like end grain cutting boards. They feel much softer in use, the edge of the knife is supposed to slide in between the fibers of the wood resulting in longer edge life. I know that my end grain cutting board is much more forgiving on the edges of my knives. I have several plastic boards I picked up from a restaurant supply store that I use to process chickens and other raw meat. I like that the plastic board can go in the dishwasher, I don't like that the are a pain to resurface. Once the surface of the plastic cutting boards gets scarred up with knife marks, nicks, and gouges they can be difficult to clean and bacteria can live in the cut marks.

Some of the guys here have used a different type of cutting board, I believe it's called Sani-tuff and they really seem to like them. I have no experience with them, yet.

I use a teak board I have had for about 30 years. Still is hanging in there. Also picked up a large plastic board (similar to the ones we used in the restaurant I formerly worked in) and that developed a HUGE crack one day. No idea how. It is nice they are dishwasher safe, but scientific data indicate that bacteria has a harder time growing on a wood surface. Yep, true story. Even saw an exhibit at a Jr. High Science Fair where some kid chose that exact topic as his experiment/display. He too had the facts to back his theory up. I was gonna get a bamboo board to replace the cracked plastic one, but now you have me thinking...............

I have read that the Epicureans with the groove have a middle "black" layer that will splinter and get into food, etc... I do not own one and can't verify this is true. Just read it in more than one user review.

They have a line of utensils that I saw at a store and I thought they looked quite nice.

Conversely, what are the best boards to use?
For natural, I would recommend edge-grain boards (e.g., The Board Smith) and Bakko Yanagi (I love mine!), which are a bit harder to find, and somewhat expensive.
For synthetic, I'm happy with Sani-Tuff. Would like to try Hi-Soft as I've heard good things about them.

Dumb question for the experts:

when you say "hard" on the knife edge, does that mean damaging, or simply that more frequent trips to the steel and/or sharpener are required?

Top Bottom