What's new

Epic yet brutal Presidential hike!

Did 16 miles in White Mountains National Forest today. Overcast with heavy mist or light rain the entire way. Mt. Washington summit had light winds, rain, 43 degree air temp with a windchill of 35. We started at Ammonoosuc Trailhead, hiked to Jefferson Notch lot, went up Caps Ridge to Mount Jefferson, across to Mt. Monroe, summiting Clay and Washington, and slid our way down steep and slick Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail. I’m whooped, but so excited to have done it!
4C9B6536-E6FC-4A05-9543-7A15F66AAF31.jpegC5E013F1-143C-4DC4-97FA-A88F0C3D54EB.jpeg502FC885-75F6-4D38-934E-0D8862B7286A.jpeg2FAB7520-658E-4573-B001-F32ECBE5A236.jpeg5DBE405C-09E7-4B0D-899E-DEA3A6DF43B2.jpeg38F28794-6936-4EF7-8C37-CB8EFB9A99E5.jpeg3FBE282E-3740-4D11-960F-5D031EDFB656.jpeg65D4DB9D-C562-48A4-95F4-598104D59A9B.jpeg55E9902C-61D8-47A2-BCB6-182244D8AF3F.jpeg

Last edited:

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Wow congrats
Awesome accomplishment and great pics thanks for sharing
It looks so desolate up there. No Starbucks lol jk
Btw how long did that all take?

Wow congrats
Awesome accomplishment and great pics thanks for sharing
It looks so desolate up there. No Starbucks lol jk
Btw how long did that all take?
Thank you!

Here is the Strava log:
3B8683E4-A611-488A-9E5C-01C94F3C9753.png

Ten hours total as we rested frequently and took pictures at each peak.

It is desolate on the northern peaks. There are plenty of people on top of Mount Washington, though, as you can get there by car or the Cog Railway.

Back in December, I hiked for three days in the Grand Canyon. This hike was more difficult as you reach similar elevations in half the distance. The Grand Canyon trails are very groomed. Here is the elevation profile:

C698F90F-8117-4D00-A2F2-4EFF2627602E.jpeg

There is a lot of walking across boulder fields and some scrambling. I don’t know how I got that max speed! Must have been as I slid down Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail!

I will always remember two other hikers out there. One was an ultra marathoner who must’ve been doing a Presidential Traverse. The other was a man in his 70s coming up the steep, slick trail we went down. Gives me hope that I can do this for 20 more years!

Last edited:
Epic hike! I'll be up there in a couple of weeks. Think I am going to do the Franconia Ridge Loop.
Supposed to be a great circuit! Hopefully, you’ll have clear weather and great views.

Have you read “The Last Traverse”? The last book I read before this trip was “Not Without Peril.” Both books deal with people getting caught ill prepared in the Whites, suffering the consequences.

Supposed to be a great circuit! Hopefully, you’ll have clear weather and great views.

Have you read “The Last Traverse”? The last book I read before this trip was “Not Without Peril.” Both books deal with people getting caught ill prepared in the Whites, suffering the consequences.

Lots of people on that route, though. Maybe I'll just summit Washington. Although your trip looks pretty awesome, too!

I have read "Not Without Peril". The Whites do not suffer fools gladly.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Thank you!

Here is the Strava log:
View attachment 1293451
Ten hours total as we rested frequently and took pictures at each peak.

It is desolate on the northern peaks. There are plenty of people on top of Mount Washington, though, as you can get there by car or the Cog Railway.

Back in December, I hiked for three days in the Grand Canyon. This hike was more difficult as you reach similar elevations in half the distance. The Grand Canyon trails are very groomed. Here is the elevation profile:

View attachment 1293455
There is a lot of walking across boulder fields and some scrambling. I don’t know how I got that max speed! Must have been as I slid down Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail!

I will always remember two other hikers out there. One was an ultra marathoner who must’ve been doing a Presidential Traverse. The other was a man in his 70s coming up the steep, slick trail we went down. Gives me hope that I can do this for 20 more years!
So amazing
Congrats again. Wow. I got tired reading that.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
One thing about the White Mountains is that their relatively low elevation above sea level is deceptive, and doesn't really indicate how big these mountains really are. Mt Washington might top out at 6300' for example, but its base is only a couple hundred feet above sea level, meaning it has a massive prominence and a vertical drop as high as many of the big mountains out west. If New Hampshire only had better weather...

Top Bottom