What's new

Epic Music

So to get away from my last thread about taxes on the rich, i figured i'd ask what everyone can add to a music list of mine.

I'm really into hip-hop and rap, but I was raised by my dad's music which was all motown, the beatles, the Stones, Elvis, the eagles, etc...

And Iv'e been really getting into older music, especially the ballads and epics specifically.

People like Pink Floyd and the Dark Side of the Moon album was revolutionary, and the songs "Time", "Money" were my favorite.

And People like E.L.O. with songs like "Showdown", "Strange Magic", "It's Over", "10538 Overture"

And also Supertramp with their whole "Crime of the Century" album, especially the title track.

What artists and/or songs can you add to my list of ever growing artists that have these kind of elements.

Try to find some Heaven 17, Penthouse and Pavement is pretty nice. Squeeze, 10cc, The Kinks, man the list can get pretty long. If you want to visit some of the older rock and funk, try some Sly and the Family Stone. For the new stuff try some Here Come The Mummies, tightest band I have ever seen. Almost forgot.....Steely Dan.

I imagine you already know Led Zep and Prince, esp. the Purple Rain era, but if by some chance you don't, you'd be in for a treat.

Disintegration by the Cure might be up your street - if you can, check out Plainsong.

Closer by Joy Division is a dark and rather difficult album, but it certainly merits the over-used term 'majestic'.

I'd give The Who's albums Tommy and Quadrophenia a try. Quadrophenia especially, with its epic climax "Love Reign O'er Me".

It might not quite be what you're asking for, but no record collection is complete without "Kind of Blue", by Miles Davis. I've listened to that so many times and it never gets old. Put it on late at night when you're doing something therapeutic. I used to strop my straights to it, just keeping them clean if they'd been out of rotation for a while.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
So to get away from my last thread about taxes on the rich, i figured i'd ask what everyone can add to a music list of mine.

I'm really into hip-hop and rap, but I was raised by my dad's music which was all motown, the beatles, the Stones, Elvis, the eagles, etc...

And Iv'e been really getting into older music, especially the ballads and epics specifically.

People like Pink Floyd and the Dark Side of the Moon album was revolutionary, and the songs "Time", "Money" were my favorite.

And People like E.L.O. with songs like "Showdown", "Strange Magic", "It's Over", "10538 Overture"

And also Supertramp with their whole "Crime of the Century" album, especially the title track.

What artists and/or songs can you add to my list of ever growing artists that have these kind of elements.

When it comes to Floyd, I don't think you can top the song "Echoes"

I think truly Epic music is hard to identify (assuming I even understand what this means), in that one's favorite music changes over time even if their favorite genre does not. For instance, many high schoolers find The Doors to be epic, but what will they think years later? Many performers/songs are popular over multiple generations, does that make them epic? My definition of epic is can I enjoy (or tolerant) a piece of music after hearing it 100...1000 times. If it passes the 1K test then it is surely epic.

When it comes to Floyd, I don't think you can top the song "Echoes"

I once heard a DJ in Glasgow mix the solo from Shine on You Crazy Diamond over an ambient dance track. It was really well done.
BTW, has anyone watched Wizard of Oz using the Dark Side of the Moon as a soundtrack? I've been told if you start the music as soon as the lion on the MGM popup appears, it's astonishingly well synched.

Well quite frankly I am appalled that no-one has mentioned the Dark God of metal, Dio. No rock collection is complete without at least Holy Diver. Well that and Number of the Beast.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkysjcs5vFU
There is also a speed-metal band called Rhapsody that is quite good. They use classical instruments and all professionally-trained concert hall musicians.

One of my favourite albums is Ryan Adams - Gold.

I remember one of the stickers on the album by a reviewer which said "when this album ends you will feel like you have just lost a best friend" which I thought was fantastic. Happily the album lived upto the hype.

Last edited:
Top Bottom