What's new

Entry level coffee grinder

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I'm on the hunt for a electric entry level coffee grinder. It will be mainly used for a moka pot.
I don't have and are not planning on getting a espresso machine.

Will the Bodum Bistro Burr Grinder suit a moka pot? Open to suggestions.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I use a cheap Krups blade grinder at under $20 and it is fine. I had a long loan of a more expensive Krups adjustable burr grinder at around $50 and could not tell any difference. I used my moka pot, De Longhi Dedica, and French press with many different bean brands. Perhaps I don't have the set up or the palate required to tell the difference. I now use the blade grinder and a longer grind gives a finer grind, works great for me 👍

I'm on the hunt for a electric entry level coffee grinder. It will be mainly used for a moka pot.
I don't have and are not planning on getting a espresso machine.

Will the Bodum Bistro Burr Grinder suit a moka pot? Open to suggestions.

You don't need an electric grinder for a moka pot as you only need to grind a small amount.

Hario or Kyocera (both the same, different name) are more than adequate. Both are Japanese so should be easy to find.

Not sure what electrics are going to be available to you in New Zealand

I've been using the DeLonghi KG79 grinder for many years and it's proved to be effective, simple to operate and very reliable. Having just checked online it seems to be readily available, although the price has gone up quite a bit since mine was purchased. Still, I'd say it's well worth the money for somebody who likes freshly ground coffee but isn't a real "cost no object" afficionado.
I had previously used other relatively low cost electric and manual grinders, and found them to produce very poor grounds, or be extremely fiddly to use, or both.

A consistent grind definitely helps make a better moka. As @Mick says, given the small amount you'll be grinding there's probably no need for an electric unit. I used two different cheap electric burr grinders from DeLonghi about 10y ago and they simply didn't grind either finely or consistently enough for espresso / moka. They did French press & filter just fine, at least for my tastes. For espresso (using a good machine) I got very little hold, and gushing pours that were not pleasant. Maybe the tech's moved on the last few years, but I'd be surprised.

I've used Hario, Porlex and Rhinowares hand grinders, all have very good grind quality across the range of grind sizes, especially considering the low outlay. With periodic cleaning and reseating the burrs they will do this for years. I strip mine every 3 months or so, & you can see the difference in the grinds afterward. Downside is the faff. Personally while I use a small portable hand grinder daily at work, it just seems more of a hassle at home. That said it only takes a couple of minutes to grind 20g fine enough for espresso, so it's definitely a first-world problem...

Just my $0.02 but I have the Baratza Encore. Great for most brew styles, I use it for mainly Aeropress and Cold brew. Very consistent grind for both. It’s Baratza’s entry level grinder. They become available refurbished for $100 quite often. I emailed the company and they told me when they would be restocked when I purchased mine. I know it’s a bit expensive for an entry level, but it should last for years. Good luck with the search!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
You don't need an electric grinder for a moka pot as you only need to grind a small amount.

Hario or Kyocera (both the same, different name) are more than adequate. Both are Japanese so should be easy to find.

+1

I have a hario ...
Hario Ceramic Coffee Mill Skerton Storage Capacity (100g) MSCS-2B by Hario: Amazon.ca: Home & Kitchen - https://www.amazon.ca/Hario-Ceramic-Skerton-Capacity-MSCS-2B/dp/B01B2O5VOM/ref=sr_1_14?crid=2P0NV3EEKD7BX&dchild=1&keywords=hario+grinder&qid=1594426531&sprefix=hario%2Caps%2C546&sr=8-14
... and use it to grind up beans for my moka pot. IMHO at the "entry level price range" you are going to pay for either quality grinding or an electric motor; not both.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Given the size difference between the Hario mini and the Hario Skerton Pro, is there a great difference in the time it takes to grind the same amount of beans on the same coarseness setting? I assume the burs are larger not just the body of the grinder.

Given the size difference between the Hario mini and the Hario Skerton Pro, is there a great difference in the time it takes to grind the same amount of beans on the same coarseness setting? I assume the burs are larger not just the body of the grinder.

Mini is an espresso grinder.

Skerton is a general grinder.

Skerton is what you need for moka, press, vacuum coffee.

proxy.php

I brew in a Boudin pour over. I only drink Organic Rain Forest Blend from Costco. I was using their comercial Burr grinder. They shut them down because if Covid and so I went back to my Kitchen Aid blade grinder. I found out that it's just way better tasting. The blades do heat or somehow change the grind.

Will the Bodum Bistro Burr Grinder suit a moka pot?
Yes. I've had that grinder for years (purchased after a more expensive one broke). Works like a champ, can grind down very small for espresso or moka pots or anything else. My wife uses it for her moka pot every day. I prefer an Aeropress, myself. Just remember to grind a little rice to clean out the burrs every now and then and you'll be super happy.

Like many burr grinders though, the static electricity does make some grinds stick to the sides of the grinder area. After I grind, I just hold the grinder over the trash (or sink) and just wipe them away with my fingers. No fuss no muss. That's only if you care enough.

i vote for anything with a burr..... hand, electric. i only use my blade grinder for spices anymore. although in your case i dont know if you want to justify something more than 100 bucks. someone mentioned the low end baratza which comes in under 100 on sale regularly.

I'll pile on and recommend the Baratza Encore. It does a great job with everything except super fine grinds. A cheaper option would be a burr hand grinder. I used a Hario mini mill for years and was happy with the results.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
i only use my blade grinder for spices anymore.

I don't even do that, anymore. Just like with coffee, grind size is all over the place and difficult to get right (and also difficult to get very fine). A few years ago or so, I got another Hario Mini for spices and have been much, much happier.

Top Bottom