What's new

Entering the next stage of SCAD

OK, obviously I have been in the throws of SCAD, BAD, and all those other *AD's for quite a long time. Most of us are. There is really no cure. However, recently, I have been noticing additional symptoms that I believe are terminal.

First and foremost, besides having the all-consuming urge to acquire every shave cream, soap, etc. on the market, I now find myself buying additional tubs of things I all ready have. This makes no sense whatsoever, since I already have enough stuff to last years in the current rotation. Why do I need two or three tubs of the same cream when one will last me forever? Very odd.

I think collectively we need to identify the various stages of this disease and write an article for a medical (psychiatric?) journal.

Scotto said:
OK, obviously I have been in the throws of SCAD, BAD, and all those other *AD's for quite a long time. Most of us are. There is really no cure. However, recently, I have been noticing additional symptoms that I believe are terminal.

First and foremost, besides having the all-consuming urge to acquire every shave cream, soap, etc. on the market, I now find myself buying additional tubs of things I all ready have. This makes no sense whatsoever, since I already have enough stuff to last years in the current rotation. Why do I need two or three tubs of the same cream when one will last me forever? Very odd.

I think collectively we need to identify the various stages of this disease and write an article for a medical (psychiatric?) journal.

I believe PSYCHO would be the appropriate word, at least in this case!

Randy

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
You think that's bad? I saw a tub of AOS lavender for sale in the sale/trade forum. I was all set to pounce, but I saw a response YGPM from the, ahem, author of this thread. The next day I looked again, and the tub was relisted and subsequently sold.:mad:
I can't believe I'm at the point where I'm disappointed that I missed out on acquiring another tub of something I already have:laugh:

Waste of time and energy to analyse this AD behaviour....

It's just an Y-linked treat...no more, no less, some have it a little bit , some SEVERE, seldom Abyss-like (this is the most extreme variant...)

dr...ABYSSSBAD....P

The Stages of *AD, by Scotto

Stage 1: Naivete. This stage is characterized by blissful use of canned foam and/or gel, as well as a cartridge or disposable razor. The patient’s income stream is not affected at this point, and quarantine can be a successful treatment.

Stage 2: Realization. In this stage, the patient becomes aware that there are other ways of shaving. At this point it is possible for a full recovery before the disease metastatizes. Treatment includes hypnosis to cause either (a) forgetfulness or (b) a sense of femininity about wetshaving.

Stage 3. Addiction. The patient cannot stop his activities at this point. Symptoms of infected persons in this stage include rapid eyesight deterioration due to excessive web browsing, a confused appearance, and improved skin quality. At this point, the patient often believes that his life has actually improved, without taking note of the obvious detrimental changes going on. A careful observation of the patient’s bathroom will often reveal symptoms, such as steadily decreasing counter space and a profusion of empty shaving paraphernalia boxes.

Stage 4. Rapid degeneration. There is no cure to the disease at this stage. Only containment is possible. The patient finds himself spending an increasing amount of time browsing the web, replying to threads, and buying an inordinate amount of shaving supplies. Often multiple identical items are purchased, with the reasoning “ I was paying for shipping anyway”. Another serious complication is when the patient purchases supplies that he does not even like, with the thought " I can trade this on the forum"

Stage 5. Acceptance. The final stage is characterized by grudging acceptance of the disorder by the patient and his family. It is possible that the patient may have to take a new job to pay for all the shaving supplies, or move into a larger house to accomodate the profusion of creams, soaps, brushes, etc.

Scotto said:
The Stages of *AD, by Scotto

Stage 1: Naivete. This stage is characterized by blissful use of canned foam and/or gel, as well as a cartridge or disposable razor. The patient’s income stream is not affected at this point, and quarantine can be a successful treatment.

Stage 2: Realization. In this stage, the patient becomes aware that there are other ways of shaving. At this point it is possible for a full recovery before the disease metastatizes. Treatment includes hypnosis to cause either (a) forgetfulness or (b) a sense of femininity about wetshaving.

Stage 3. Addiction. The patient cannot stop his activities at this point. Symptoms of infected persons in this stage include rapid eyesight deterioration due to excessive web browsing, a confused appearance, and improved skin quality. At this point, the patient often believes that his life has actually improved, without taking note of the obvious detrimental changes going on. A careful observation of the patient’s bathroom will often reveal symptoms, such as steadily decreasing counter space and a profusion of empty shaving paraphernalia boxes.

Stage 4. Rapid degeneration. There is no cure to the disease at this stage. Only containment is possible. The patient finds himself spending an increasing amount of time browsing the web, replying to threads, and buying an inordinate amount of shaving supplies. Often multiple identical items are purchased, with the reasoning “ I was paying for shipping anyway”. Another serious complication is when the patient purchases supplies that he does not even like, with the thought " I can trade this on the forum"

Stage 5. Acceptance. The final stage is characterized by grudging acceptance of the disorder by the patient and his family. It is possible that the patient may have to take a new job to pay for all the shaving supplies, or move into a larger house to accomodate the profusion of creams, soaps, brushes, etc.

Scotto, I think you are ready to be published by the American Psychiatric Academy. :thumbup1:

ouch

Stage 6- House for sale. Appraised 1.2 million. Will take 900K or best offer.

Scotto said:

Scotto,
My weirdest shave gear buying quirk, is that when sales and such pop up - I'll buy a bowl of soap.... then several refills (often in other scents) - yet if I have a gorgeous "bowl" for the soap - EX: Floris JF, I am not about to put the cake of Floris Elite in a tupperware..... but the "oddity" of it is that since I have SO many soaps, and since triple milled soaps as is can last 6 months to a year of daily use (depending on the person/brush) it will literally be 10-12 years before I have exausted the "original" bowls soap.... so I have these refills I will basically never use.

We're sick.... sick I tell ya!

ouch

At the risk of having this thread deteriorate into "who's the sickest bastid in here", let me offer the following-

anyone tend to use more than the recommended almond-sized dollop of cream to enhance the rate at which you polish off a tub?:a39:

What level would that be?

ouch said:
At the risk of having this thread deteriorate into "who's the sickest bastid in here", let me offer the following-

anyone tend to use more than the recommended almond-sized dollop of cream to enhance the rate at which you polish off a tub?:a39:

What level would that be?
But of course. I chuckle with glee when Joel posts about brushes "not wasting" lather. What a joke. I go for the maximum possible, baby, even if it is enough for 10 people. Then I can buy more, more , more. Mwa ha ha ha ha!!! :a1: :ihih: :crazy: :devil: :117: :a39:

I think I am totally losing it.

I'm at stage 4 myself, yes I do have 14 tubes of Arko shave cream.:biggrin: :biggrin: :eek:
And Yes, I do dip my brushes nice and deep into the tubs.:biggrin: :biggrin:

:eek: :eek: :eek: MY god what a guide by Scotto ..... :cool: :cool: :cool:

Stage one is just brilliant its where most of the men are ....
Stage 2 I was there around March...... and no one helped me... well not unlikely true Kujo and Kyle have tried to stop me..

Im now at Stage 3 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and yes I think there is more of mine stuff in the bathroom now then anyone elses.. Oh... well.... this ebay seller is offering me another bottle of Nivea after shave, fresh 2-Phase Lotion, menthol
When I already have bought one no additional Shipping costs.. what to do...
I tried to refuse it and not buy it for like 4 days ago but I havent paid for it yet so I can still get it.... but do I need 2 of the same a/s ? Is there still help for me.. since im doubting... Oh I can see im clearly not ready for stage 4 excellent!
The seller also has a can of shave gel by Wilkinson extra senstive the green can for about $2 .. but why buy that ? hmm symptoms of Stage one... could I go back.. I always thought this place was a lost hidden paradise..not so sure anymore ? :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

I think buying multiple of a product is based in a couple of events/issues: 1) sales -- get a product at half price!?! I'll get two (or three) and save even more! 2) an idea or thought or premonition that the company may discontinue or change the products formula (EGAD!); I'll buy it now to ensure I have a ready supply for my final shave on my death bed. :rolleyes: :biggrin:

I know I'm using more than is probably necessary to clear stuff out too. I'll probably have to move into sales/trades to get some of this stuff used (by someone!). Hell, I've even drafted the wife into using soaps and creams to shave her legs with; I've "given" her my Savile Row SR212T (30mm knot) for the brush, ensuring she uses alot of product! :w00t:

xChris said:
I think buying multiple of a product is based in a couple of events/issues: 1) sales -- get a product at half price!?! I'll get two (or three) and save even more! 2) an idea or thought or premonition that the company may discontinue or change the products formula (EGAD!); I'll buy it now to ensure I have a ready supply for my final shave on my death bed. :rolleyes: :biggrin:

I know I'm using more than is probably necessary to clear stuff out too. I'll probably have to move into sales/trades to get some of this stuff used (by someone!). Hell, I've even drafted the wife into using soaps and creams to shave her legs with; I've "given" her my Savile Row SR212T (30mm knot) for the brush, ensuring she uses alot of product! :w00t:

Masterfully done! The facade of sharing out of love is a tremendous way to score more goodies.

For diagnosis of an acquisition disorder/s, I follow the same guidelines that I have in place for detecting alcoholism.

• You're only an alcoholic if you go to the meetings (AA, etc). Since there are no associations/meetings for any of the acquisition disorders, I would tend to believe that we are all in the clear.
  • If you still suspect that you have a problem, the other determining factors are: have you ever stolen shaving related items?; have you ever stolen anything with the intent of using the proceeds to buy shaving items (not applicable if you are a thief by trade)?; have you ever resorted to the use of promiscuous services to obtain shaving related items (again, not applicable if this has anything to do with your current profession or if you would have participated without the inclusion/reward of the shaving related items).

Folks, I have an important update to this serious malady. In Stage 4, medical science identified the propensity for the purchase of multiple items of the same sort, with the reasoning "I am already paying for shipping". We have now detected a stage in our test subject Scotto we call "4a". In this stage, the patient deliberately does not buy everything he needs when placing an online order, so as to force an additional purchase (and accompanying shipping fees) in the near future. In this way, the patient has the perceived satisfaction of having packages arrive at his/her home more frequently. Stay tuned as we learn more.

Scotto said:
Folks, I have an important update to this serious malady. In Stage 4, medical science identified the propensity for the purchase of multiple items of the same sort, with the reasoning "I am already paying for shipping". We have now detected a stage in our test subject Scotto we call "4a". In this stage, the patient deliberately does not buy everything he needs when placing an online order, so as to force an additional purchase (and accompanying shipping fees) in the near future. In this way, the patient has the perceived satisfaction of having packages arrive at his/her home more frequently. Stay tuned as we learn more.

Wow... these levels are incredible!:lol: I am very guilty of stage 4. If there is something I think I want, I'll check with Charles to see if he has it... if so, I'll tell him OK, lemme look around so I can put together a 'real' order... you know, cuz only getting one thing doesn't count as one order.

Currently, it will take me about a month to try all the new soaps that I have. !

Scotto said:

This is seriously sick , and no doubt needs to be adressed by the new medical dictionary in Wickipedia who is going to apply for us ?

I thought I was not near as close at Stage 4 , till I just read it back slooooowly what Uncle Scotto writes.. I read "

" the propensity for the purchase of multiple items of the same sort, with the reasoning "I am already paying for shipping".

Looking at my Ebay auction sniping last night I do notice to have won another bottle of Jasminum FLores de Hombre even though I have another bottle already here untouched. this comes pretty close id think ? I got myself 3 bottles of Flores De Hombre because they are insane good and not made anymore. I am luring myself telling myself its all good the cologne is not made anymore you owe it to yourself to get the last batch and for future decanteer clients to get those.. oh yes did I get those here I am $160 poor .... Does this ever stop ?

I thought so till I read the email of my usual source for cologne that he is back again.. I went ohhh nooooo even more goodies.. I cant take this anymore I need a holiday to Prague to relax this is not good. hmm do they have barbers there?

Free tip of the week try to ignore Scotto's aquisition of the week pics he makes them look so tastefull you want to grab the magic creditcard.... :frown:

You know, I'm fairly new to wetshaving, but I feel myself slipping into stage three of scad.

I do however have good news for those with scad....it isn't SBAD.

Top Bottom