What's new

Enough Blades

Stared into my blade stash drawer earlier tonight. I store them there so they’re not exposed to moisture. I believe I’ve got around 500 of different brands. Haven’t properly counted them....
Sometimes I toy with the idea of purchasing more of brands I already have just in case production were to cease ... but then I hold back from doing it. I’m 52 now so what I have should last around 20 yrs. Being content and using what’s there now makes sense to me. Plus I might get run over by a bus tomorrow. Won’t need blades if that happens. Seriously. Who else here in the forum has decided to not buy more blades at least for awhile? Who feels that they have enough?

I am quite the opposite, I likely only have around 50 blades total, but I'm too fickle and cant decide which I like best. I also refuse to buy hundred packs of my top blades for whatever reason, so I keep switching randomly between blade 10 packs.

I have around 400 blades. That would be about 8 years if I swap blades every week, or 16 years if I’m conservative and shave every other day for two weeks.

I’m 73 years old and hate to waste money, so I’m planning on the 16 years!

I have around 400 blades. That would be about 8 years if I swap blades every week, or 16 years if I’m conservative and shave every other day for two weeks.

I’m 73 years old and hate to waste money, so I’m planning on the 16 years!
I am a frugal shaver too. Paying pennies per blade and getting as good if not better shaves than using a pricey cartridge razor makes me happy.

Blades are cheap, and I like having variety. I've tried maybe a dozen or more blades over the years, and if I find one I really like I buy a hundred. So far, I've found three I've really liked.

By buying a hundred, I don't worry about running out of a favorite blade. I've had to re-order a hundred pack only once, and that was just recently.

But I'm on the prowl trying new blades again, and am currently considering getting a hundred pack of Gillette Yellow Sharpedge

I’m probably in the category of having too many blades. I have around 700 DE, 200 SE and 150 injector blades. In addition, I use straight razors.

I really like injectors and SEs, so I’ll probably purchase a few more of them, but I’m set on DE blades.

I've got 100 Gillette platinum that works well for my slant. And another 90 astra sp that doesnt work as well. And I'm happy. Unless I can find cheap feathers some where......

I have an evaluation pack of 10 different brands and a bulk stash of premium selections. It is surprising how quickly the evaluation samples are disappearing. I believe that the reason that I hoard DE razor blades is the dishonest marketing practices of Gillette. Gillette would sell their mother's false teeth if it would support a new cartridge razor blade assembly. I wouldn't fret over $50.00 in razor blades.

MM879

Last edited:
I plan to buy a few more -- I currently have more than 2000 -- but only a couple select brands that I only have three or four of, specifically 7 O'Clock Blacks.

My stash will long outlast me as I currently average 50 or more shaves per blade and have started shaving with a straight razor, too.

If I'd have waited to buy blades until I tried them, I'd still be working on the sample pack I bought....

I have an evaluation pack of 10 different brands and a bulk stash of premium selections. It is surprising how quickly the evaluation samples are disappearing. I believe that the reason that I hoard DE razor blades is the dishonest marketing practices of Gillette. Gillette would sell their mother's false teeth if it would support a new cartridge razor blade assembly. I wouldn't fret over $50.00 in razor blades.

MM879
Gillette isn't the only one selling cartridges. Schick is doing it too. So are feather and bic.

I don't think they are dishonest about anything. You get the cartridge you pay for. Even when it comes to cartridges, ymmv still applies.

Calling them dishonest is not appropriate.

The dishonest part is the fantastic markup on the price. A five blade cartridge costs about the same as two DE blades plus the plastic molding, so about 30 or 40 cents delivered. Hard to say selling that at a couple bucks is honest.

The dishonest part is the fantastic markup on the price. A five blade cartridge costs about the same as two DE blades plus the plastic molding, so about 30 or 40 cents delivered. Hard to say selling that at a couple bucks is honest.
It's a free market. They can price their products however much they want and you can also choose not to buy it. That's not dishonesty.

If you run a business, you'd also want to sell your products as high as possible. Gillette is not a charity. They have no obligations to sell anything for cheap.

Caveat emptor. ;);)

I have around the same amount as you. But in my case, production has ceased (or so says Russian Shaving House). Sharp Star is my favorite blade and I have 350. There aren't many left online. They seem to have come and gone without much fanfare one way or another, which is a shame because they are between a Feather and a Wilkinson Sword, the best of both for me.

I didn't stop buying blades. Last time I counted there was enough for around 140 years of shaving. But I just cannot (will not) help myself. But my son will need some shaving kids too, to get the job done.

I've yet to pay directly for a razor blade. I always use frequent flyer miles. 100 Rapira Platinum Lux on the way.
MM879

Last edited:
Top Bottom