What's new

English RFB; finally!

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Cruise the bidding site for "Gillette razors" and in a few short weeks you may have perfectly good user copies of a Single Ring, an OLD, NEW LC, NEW SC and of course, a Slim and a Fatboy.

Other models may take a while … Aristocrats, for example. Took a couple years before I got a Senator, for example.

But try and get a good English Raised Flat Bottom (RFB) NEW model … I never had any luck! :a11: Always got beat.

Until last week. :001_tt2: Finally got one, and after a couple shaves, doing the happy dance.

Some photos: will preface by saying, using a GoPro Session, controlled by a phone- they're not great but it's an interesting experiment. Anyways.

1. It's all about straight teeth - these look pretty good! The silver plate is in better shape than you might imagine for a 1932-made model.

full

2. Teeth, plate check out.

full

Now. The top of the razor is one cut for the "I" topcap - which it mysteriously doesn't have. It has the "long bar" topcap. Yet it IS silver plate, fits, and shaves well. So. Did Gillette mix and match in this case? (And it explains why the bidding didn't go too high)

full

This shows the topcap ends / lock tabs, which are unusual to me.

full

Oh. "How does it shave?"

First shave: Disappointed halfway through. Couldn't "feel" any results! And it has a Feather in there (can see the wax spots). Got done, and felt my face - what happened? Subdermal smooth. Like nothing! What is this?

Second shave: same as first. Stubble never existed. Come 5 p.m., looking for shadow: none. With a mild shaver, I get 5 o'clock shadow.

This RFB has mysterious powers …

RFB cognoscenti; what are your thoughts?

AA

Cruise the bidding site for "Gillette razors" and in a few short weeks you may have perfectly good user copies of a Single Ring, an OLD, NEW LC, NEW SC and of course, a Slim and a Fatboy.

Other models may take a while … Aristocrats, for example. Took a couple years before I got a Senator, for example.

But try and get a good English Raised Flat Bottom (RFB) NEW model … I never had any luck! :a11: Always got beat.

Until last week. :001_tt2: Finally got one, and after a couple shaves, doing the happy dance.

Some photos: will preface by saying, using a GoPro Session, controlled by a phone- they're not great but it's an interesting experiment. Anyways.

1. It's all about straight teeth - these look pretty good! The silver plate is in better shape than you might imagine for a 1932-made model.

full

2. Teeth, plate check out.

full

Now. The top of the razor is one cut for the "I" topcap - which it mysteriously doesn't have. It has the "long bar" topcap. Yet it IS silver plate, fits, and shaves well. So. Did Gillette mix and match in this case? (And it explains why the bidding didn't go too high)

full

This shows the topcap ends / lock tabs, which are unusual to me.

full

Oh. "How does it shave?"

First shave: Disappointed halfway through. Couldn't "feel" any results! And it has a Feather in there (can see the wax spots). Got done, and felt my face - what happened? Subdermal smooth. Like nothing! What is this?

Second shave: same as first. Stubble never existed. Come 5 p.m., looking for shadow: none. With a mild shaver, I get 5 o'clock shadow.

This RFB has mysterious powers …

RFB cognoscenti; what are your thoughts?

AA

Perfect specimen AA - congrats and welcome to the cult! - and great pictures!

I shaved with my similar RFB 2-piece this morning. It is by far the smoothest and nicest shaving OC I own, love that thing. Shaves like a solid bar razor! And the looks... Those kindda square looking teeth and that slim handle. They are simply awesome. Balance and weight just perfect. Enjoy yours, it looks just perfect!

Here’s my sisters to yours (one silver, one bright nickel and one ...hmmm... ex-silver?...) :)

EDIT - chose another picture showing that mine does not have the baseplate ‘i’ cut-outs like yours, very interesting! - Your topcap looks the same as mine.

630EB002-2E90-40B8-92A1-59C48F823AAF.jpeg

Last edited:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Many thanks, @Northstonehill @RickL @bdehne ! Forgot to add: the weight and balance are amazing, really "right."

What about the topcap; is it a mismatch? Or we'll never know?

Oh- the "efficient" thing - after one pass, there's nothing left to shave. You can lather up for a second and third pass, but it's about a waste of soap.

"Aggressive" gives you weepers, efficient gives you the one-pass-only-needed thing.

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
edit: Wow, beauties, Peter!

Yes; this one looks like a Single Ring but it's two-piece only, as well.

A new to me Gillette model, first in a while.

AA

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Congratulations on the RFB, I am like you have been looking and not winning. I am still not winning but I will one day.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
That's a mismatch - the cap does not match the baseplate!
Does not count! You'll have to start the search over.

:001_tt2:

Yeah. No.

Seriously, I've seen that "I" topcap, and that degree of registration isn't needed... I need more information on these splendid shavers.

AA

Top Bottom