What's new

English Leather Spiced Cologne/Old Spice Similarities

Recently I obtained a 1 oz vintage glass bottle of English Leather Spiced Cologne by MEM and was pleasantly surprised at how much this reminded me of vintage Old Spice. For a cologne this one hangs around for awhile and lets you know it's there. English Leather had a few nice spinoffs such as Lime, Timberline, and Musk. This Spiced cologne is an underrated gem. Anyone else tried this one?

Recently I obtained a 1 oz vintage glass bottle of English Leather Spiced Cologne by MEM and was pleasantly surprised at how much this reminded me of vintage Old Spice. For a cologne this one hangs around for awhile and lets you know it's there. English Leather had a few nice spinoffs such as Lime, Timberline, and Musk. This Spiced cologne is an underrated gem. Anyone else tried this one?

Did you get yours from Fragrancenet? I also picked up several 1 oz. bottles of English Leather Spiced that say Mem Company on a plastic sticker attached to the bottle. It smells very close to Classic Old Spice, perhaps maybe a bit spicier. The Classic Old Spice Cologne has a more synthetic opening.

Mem was sold to Renaissance Cosmetics in the mid 1990's and then was merged into Dana. Can there possibly be this many bottles of English Leather Spiced that are still available if Dana discontinued it? My one reservation is a suspicion that Old Spice could possibly be in these bottles, or some other current formulation that smells like Old Spice.

By describing your bottle as vintage. I'm assuming you got it from Ebay or an estate sale. I'd like to see it compared to the English Leather Spiced that Fragrancenet is selling. This is what the bottle looks like:

proxy.php

Did you get yours from Fragrancenet? I also picked up several 1 oz. bottles of English Leather Spiced that say Mem Company on a plastic sticker attached to the bottle. It smells very close to Classic Old Spice, perhaps maybe a bit spicier. The Classic Old Spice Cologne has a more synthetic opening.

Mem was sold to Renaissance Cosmetics in the mid 1990's and then was merged into Dana. Can there possibly be this many bottles of English Leather Spiced that are still available if Dana discontinued it? My one reservation is a suspicion that Old Spice could possibly be in these bottles, or some other current formulation that smells like Old Spice.

By describing your bottle as vintage. I'm assuming you got it from Ebay or an estate sale. I'd like to see it compared to the English Leather Spiced that Fragrancenet is selling. This is what the bottle looks like:

proxy.php

This is same bottle I have, got mine from 99perfume, there must have been a big discovery of old stock to still have this one available as I do believe these are authentic. Does anyone know what year this was released? I even got a hint of Jade East mixed in with EL Spiced, much better than I was expecting for the money.

This is same bottle I have, got mine from 99perfume, there must have been a big discovery of old stock to still have this one available as I do believe these are authentic. Does anyone know what year this was released? I even got a hint of Jade East mixed in with EL Spiced, much better than I was expecting for the money.

Have you compared it to the current Classic Old Spice Cologne in the atomizer bottle? I think the OS Cologne has a bit more longevity. The scents are almost similar, but I think the spiced is a bit spicier which would therefore make it smell more like the original Old Spice by Shulton.

How long does the English Leather Spiced last for you as a skin scent? I give it 2 to 3 hours. Maybe if I splash more on, it might last an hour or two longer. I'd still like to know where this stock was found and if it's authentic. If it is, I'd buy a few more 1 oz. bottles.

proxy.php
Why do you think that it might contain Shulton Old Spice?

Why do you think that it might contain Shulton Old Spice?

I don't think it contains Shulton Old Spice but rather Classic Old Spice or Family Dollar Spice by Vijon. See my other post here: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...-Old-Spice-Similarities?p=8701594#post8701594

It smells different than Classic Old Spice Cologne on the dry down (less of a synthetic opening). It could possibly be English Leather Spiced, but I'l like to know why there are so many 1 oz. Mem bottles with plastic stickers on them when the fragrance was discontinued 20 years ago and the company ceases to exist. Is there no one who can shed light on this?

Dana Classics seems to have very little customer service. They take days to return calls or emails.

I don't think it contains Shulton Old Spice but rather Classic Old Spice or Family Dollar Spice by Vijon. See my other post here: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...-Old-Spice-Similarities?p=8701594#post8701594

It smells different than Classic Old Spice Cologne on the dry down (less of a synthetic opening). It could possibly be English Leather Spiced, but I'l like to know why there are so many 1 oz. Mem bottles with plastic stickers on them when the fragrance was discontinued 20 years ago and the company ceases to exist. Is there no one who can shed light on this?

Dana Classics seems to have very little customer service. They take days to return calls or emails.
Ok. I was excited for a second there for a new source of Shulton Old Spice! Thanks.

It it is odd that they all say MEM on the bottle. I wonder if the plastic has tainted the scent, if they actually sat full all these years.

Ok. I was excited for a second there for a new source of Shulton Old Spice! Thanks.

It it is odd that they all say MEM on the bottle. I wonder if the plastic has tainted the scent, if they actually sat full all these years.

They're all in GLASS bottles. The longevity is much greater than Family Dollar Spice and it doesn't have the initial synthetic note of Old Spice Classic Cologne. It seems like 99Perfume and Fragrancenet are the only ones who carry this. Maybe Basenotes or Fragrantica could shed some light on it but they're a little highbrow when it comes to fragrances. I'm not sure their members get into English Leather.
It's hard to believe there could be so many cases left after 20 years.

Have you compared it to the current Classic Old Spice Cologne in the atomizer bottle? I think the OS Cologne has a bit more longevity. The scents are almost similar, but I think the spiced is a bit spicier which would therefore make it smell more like the original Old Spice by Shulton.

How long does the English Leather Spiced last for you as a skin scent? I give it 2 to 3 hours. Maybe if I splash more on, it might last an hour or two longer. I'd still like to know where this stock was found and if it's authentic. If it is, I'd buy a few more 1 oz. bottles.

Have never tried the Original OS in atomizer, only the Musk, I prefer my aftershaves to be splash on, the atomizer ruined the whole experience. I only have a huge bottle of vintage 1980's Shulton Original and Musk & Lime from India.

As far as longevity goes I liberally splashed some English Leather Spiced Cologne on my chest and was able to smell it the next morning. I only get about 5-6 hours of projection though and it stays very close to the body. Since this is a cologne I think it wears close to an EDT.

There is not alot of information out there about English Leather Spiced, seems to have been around for only a short period of time, perhaps it was a little bit too much like Old Spice when it was released and didn't go over all that well. I imagine early 50's Old Spice smelling something close to this. If you like it I suggest stocking up while you can, I can't imagine there are a whole bunch of bottles left...

Have never tried the Original OS in atomizer, only the Musk, I prefer my aftershaves to be splash on, the atomizer ruined the whole experience. I only have a huge bottle of vintage 1980's Shulton Original and Musk & Lime from India.

As far as longevity goes I liberally splashed some English Leather Spiced Cologne on my chest and was able to smell it the next morning. I only get about 5-6 hours of projection though and it stays very close to the body. Since this is a cologne I think it wears close to an EDT.

There is not alot of information out there about English Leather Spiced, seems to have been around for only a short period of time, perhaps it was a little bit too much like Old Spice when it was released and didn't go over all that well. I imagine early 50's Old Spice smelling something close to this. If you like it I suggest stocking up while you can, I can't imagine there are a whole bunch of bottles left...

It's been 20 years since Renaissance bought Mem and folded into Dana. I find it hard to believe there are any bottles left!
I'm going to try a Walmart buyer I know and see if he can give any more insight into this. He helped me with the Indian versions of Old Spice awhile ago.

I put a few drops on the inside of my elbow yesterday to compare it to Classic OS Cologne and the English Leather Spiced lasted as a skin scent for 10-12 hours, so my earlier estimate of 2-3 hours was off. It depends on how much you apply.

The only atomizer available in the US is the OS Classic Cologne bottle. It's much stronger than the Classic OS aftershave.
There's an Original Old Spice edt splash available in Europe and that should be even stronger.. I was given the Original Old Spice aftershave and Musk aftershave from India as a gift from a Walmart buyer who tried to get them distributed in the USA, to no avail. I like both, especially the musk and plan to order some musk and lime from India in the near future.

Here's a good write up on English Leather Spiced from the excellent Pour Monsieur blog. I posed a question last week but no one's responded as of yet. Note the photo of the bottle. It's the 2 oz plastic bottle - not glass. He detects a note of cinnamon and a more pronounced scent of clove. Perhaps my nose isn't as educated, but I'm not sure I can smell that.

http://pourmonsieurblog.blogspot.com/2011/11/english-leather-spiced-cologne.html

proxy.php

Top Bottom