What's new

English Leather Discontinued???

I would agree with you on the supply interruption being the temporary cause of a spike in prices (and nosedive in availability), but in this instance that seems like a stretch. This is English Leather we're talking about, one of the most ubiquitous aftershave/cologne brands in the world. I just visited Amazon and Fragrancenet.com, two sites where I could always find a super cheap bottle, and they still don't have any. Cheapest on Amazon is $30, and most are in the $50 - $90 range. Fragrancenet only has the .5 oz size for $5, and even weirder, they only have 1 gift set left. eBay is just as abysmal.

I've never seen a drugstore product like EL go temporarily MIA. Something is up here.

I’m sure it’s appeal isn’t nearly what it was during its first 30 (or so) years, but Old Spice doesn’t have the same universal appeal it once had. Also, considering the amount of leather fragrances that have been coming out/becoming popular over the last few years you’d think English Leather would be a prime candidate for a well deserved, IMO, second wind.

As it goes with many (but not all) classic fragrances, if people don’t know what you’re wearing you can smell en vogue - that is until someone finds out your wearing English Leather, or Old Spice, or Brut, or British Sterling, or Clubman, etc.

Personally I’d take a dab of English Leather over a whole bottle of Brut, but I don’t see Brut having any “interruptions in supply” at any time in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Swear I got a giant bottle of the English Leather EdC last year for $12-15.

A great "fistful splash" when Tabac isn't enough!

AA

Someone on another forum suggested that they're reformulating it for a plastic bottle, which presumably would be released in the near future.

This is entirely possible, but something about it doesn't figure. Recently a 3 piece gift set appeared on Amazon Prime for $13.27. Seems they have a hefty supply (no red "only (blank number) left!" warning), so there might be a sudden influx of gift sets leftover from the holiday season or something, or maybe Dana is just putting these out right now.

Oddly enough that's the only reasonable price for EL on Amazon. Right next to the set is a bottle for $89.

When Old Spice and Brut reformulated down into plastic they had the bucks to find certain kinds of plastics that wouldn't pollute the fragrances. I doubt Dana would go to the same trouble, given that they haven't invested a penny into promoting EL since they took over the brand. OS and Brut (particularly OS) have gotten much better promotional efforts, and the former is expanding into shower gels and shampoos.

I would find it very odd (but not unheard of) for Dana to dramatically throttle the product supply, spend the money on a reformulation and a change in packaging, and then hope to draw customers with a "brand new English Leather - now in PLASTIC!" but then again, look at what a ton of other companies have done. Aqua Velva is my favorite example. "Shatterproof" is their new slogan.

When I spoke to the company’ Customer service, they said they were not currently making cologne but would sell aftershave through their website or Walmart only. Sounds like Walmart gave them a supply condition they are having trouble meeting to me.

When I spoke to the company’ Customer service, they said they were not currently making cologne but would sell aftershave through their website or Walmart only. Sounds like Walmart gave them a supply condition they are having trouble meeting to me.

Interesting. This makes total sense. And the bad thing about it for them is Walmart penalizes companies when they can't make deliveries on time!

$30 for 8oz makes sense at the price point. 3.4oz was about $12 when I picked up a bottle at the drug store back in January.

So I'm still unclear what this means, are they dumping an overrun by selling it only in 8oz bottles, but then it's done?
I told you what they told me. Previously they told me they weren’t currently making cologne.

Sounds like disarray to me. Possibly someone who does not have full grasp of the language?

Wow, I am glad I picked up some English Leather when the opportunity arose. I was visiting the in-laws in FL a few years back and came across an after shave and cologne combination of 1.7 fl oz. of each for a whopping $2.

Then a wooden box containing an 8 fl oz. bottle of EL cologne caught my eye and that set me back an even more whopping $4 :em2100:.

I am still working on the 1.7 fl oz. bottle. With the 8 fl oz. in reserve this will likely last me a life time!

Tim

Top Bottom