What's new

English Gillette flat bottom Tech: Still the all-time Champion

Well done! A few years back $50 plus S&H was the best deal i could find on one and that had plating damage and no box.

Thank you, I was pleased with the condition when it arrived. I’ve seen 5 or 6 quite nice looking ones since I bought that a month or so ago, but I do spend more time than is healthy looking at ‘Bay listings every couple of hours. :confused:. I’ve seen a fair few RFB News in the same period of time, along with a sprinkling of FB News but only the one Hybrid Tech - Northstonehill is buying all those I think. :)

B

Barney14

Thank you, I was pleased with the condition when it arrived. I’ve seen 5 or 6 quite nice looking ones since I bought that a month or so ago, but I do spend more time than is healthy looking at ‘Bay listings every couple of hours. :confused:. I’ve seen a fair few RFB News in the same period of time, along with a sprinkling of FB News but only the one Hybrid Tech - Northstonehill is buying all those I think. :)

I had a Sportsman Tech aluminium handle, a 1950s ball end and then the English flat bottom, which i found to give a closer shave than the other two.

It shaved really well but i could not get a close enough shave under my chin and jaw line, no matter what blade or technique i used.
Soley by chance i saw a Youtube clip about the Star razor and decided to give it a try, its a bit more aggressive than the Tech and deals with under chin and jaw line.
The handle of the Star is excellent, i think the head is pretty cheap and nasty and will be surpised if it lasts very long, ( the razor was bought in near mint condition unused)
so i have bought another two razors for spares.

I wonder if the triangular slot or hybrid Techs would match the Stars closeness :001_rolle

I had a Sportsman Tech aluminium handle, a 1950s ball end and then the English flat bottom, which i found to give a closer shave than the other two.

It shaved really well but i could not get a close enough shave under my chin and jaw line, no matter what blade or technique i used.
Soley by chance i saw a Youtube clip about the Star razor and decided to give it a try, its a bit more aggressive than the Tech and deals with under chin and jaw line.
The handle of the Star is excellent, i think the head is pretty cheap and nasty and will be surpised if it lasts very long, ( the razor was bought in near mint condition unused)
so i have bought another two razors for spares.

I wonder if the triangular slot or hybrid Techs would match the Stars closeness :001_rolle
I’ve got a triangular slot Tech but no Star razor to compare it to :)

Do you mean one of these?

1167F06C-E156-4E8B-85A7-3A7A97B1B4E1.jpeg

Star DE/English Flat Bottom Tech. Same handle to even the playing field. Star is more efficient, apparent on the first pass. I'd go far as to say this particular Tech is one of the least capable razors I own going ATG on my head. The Tech is smoother by just a bit. I stand by my opinion that the EFBT offers nothing unique/interesting/better than the ubiquitous Star. Overrated by a lot. And that's giving it the benefit of the superior Star handle.

proxy.php
proxy.php

Last edited:
R

romsitsa

Hello,

interesting how prominent the lip is on the safety bar. It looks like there were slight variations in fb Tech plates, but I suspect the secret is the cap. Yours looks to be a cap usually found on fb News and it is thinner then the Tech cap.

Adam

I have a Canadian pre-war, an American post-war, an English flat-bottom, and a Hybrid Tech.

Maybe it's wishful thinking or the marvelous rhodium plating, but I think the Hybrid Tech is the best of the lot. I actually love the American post-war Tech almost as much; it doesn't look great but it shaves wonderfully.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I have a Canadian pre-war, an American post-war, an English flat-bottom, and a Hybrid Tech.

Maybe it's wishful thinking or the marvelous rhodium plating, but I think the Hybrid Tech is the best of the lot. I actually love the American post-war Tech almost as much; it doesn't look great but it shaves wonderfully.
I’ve tried them all — I only kept the Hybrid Tech. For my face and technique, it’s the best combination of smoothness and efficiency. And the ‘cool factor’ doesn’t hurt, either.

There's a magic cap then? Hmm I think I'll stick with the post war Tech and the Star but interesting observation. The handle on mine also resembles one oft found on the FBN.
Hello,

interesting how prominent the lip is on the safety bar. It looks like there were slight variations in fb Tech plates, but I suspect the secret is the cap. Yours looks to be a cap usually found on fb News and it is thinner then the Tech cap.

Adam

R

romsitsa

I’d say there are many possible combinations resulting in slightly different shaves.

Adam

Personally I am totally nonplussed by the EFBT. Its weakness becomes apparent going ATG on my head where the lowly postwar Tech, Mamba, Old Type, Short Comb, and $7 Baili/RR Teck2, outshave it. Just because a razor is scarce or British doesn't make it better, for me anyway. There's a certain fetishism of unusual/scarce/expensive razors where magical qualities are imparted to them which in many cases strikes me as wishful thinking. I think this is one of those cases. Or YMMV. Take your pick.
Are the EFBTs scarce?

Top Bottom