What's new

English Gillette flat bottom Tech: Still the all-time Champion

I certainly haven't tried all the razors out there, not even close, but I have tried *quite* a few. For a while the English made Gillette Rocket series and the red tip Flare TTOs were my favorites, then I managed to score a last of the line Merkur 11C, which challenged, but didn't unseat the Gillettes. Then at long last I found a heavily used English flat bottom tech that wasn't $100 and it changed my expectations of a DE razor forever.

For my purposes the EFBT combines a near perfect set of attributes, it's smooth and undemanding, has enough blade feel that hitting the right blade angles is easy, it'll go ATG with no special care required and most importantly it leaves the difficult areas on my face smoother than any other razor I have used. The only problem of course is that finding them in the US isn't easy and often costs as much as a modern botique stainless razor.

The two newest challengers have been the Razorock Mamba and Game Changer. While both are fantastically well made and have excellent shaving attributes, only if they were melded together keeping the best features of each *and* shaved a tiny amount closer could they unseat the venerable Tech.

I was totally blown away by the FB Tech also. It had the efficiency of the triangle slot Tech but the comfort of the later models. It immediately moved up to being my favorite Tech. The RR Mamba is another one of my favorites being a completely "stealth" type shaver where you got to keep checking if you are just clearing lather or really cutting whiskers. The GC did not change any games for me as it was a rougher shave than the Mamba without being a more efficient shaver. I look forward to the .70 Mamba base plate just to see if it would improve the Mamba shave.

Personally I am totally nonplussed by the EFBT. Its weakness becomes apparent going ATG on my head where the lowly postwar Tech, Mamba, Old Type, Short Comb, and $7 Baili/RR Teck2, outshave it. Just because a razor is scarce or British doesn't make it better, for me anyway. There's a certain fetishism of unusual/scarce/expensive razors where magical qualities are imparted to them which in many cases strikes me as wishful thinking. I think this is one of those cases. Or YMMV. Take your pick.

Last edited:
I was totally blown away by the FB Tech also. It had the efficiency of the triangle slot Tech but the comfort of the later models. It immediately moved up to being my favorite Tech. The RR Mamba is another one of my favorites being a completely "stealth" type shaver where you got to keep checking if you are just clearing lather or really cutting whiskers. The GC did not change any games for me as it was a rougher shave than the Mamba without being a more efficient shaver. I look forward to the .70 Mamba base plate just to see if it would improve the Mamba shave.

A new Mamba base plate you say? I guess I'll have to be on the lookout for that!! if it added a bit of blade feel, but kept everything else the same that would definitely elevate the Mamba to a tie with the Tech.

Personally I am totally nonplussed by the EFBT. Its weakness becomes apparent going ATG on my head where the lowly postwar Tech, Mamba, Old Type, Short Comb, and $7 Baili/RR Teck2, outshave it. Just because a razor is scarce or British doesn't make it better, for me anyway.

Well, we all know that YMMV... for me at least (not a head shaver), it's not the cache of scarcity or age, but the pure shaving performance of the EFBT that sets it above all others. Frankly I'd be happier if it was common, cheap and everyone could have a chance to try one.

Another of my previous faves was the blue handle Flare, but it doesn't get much use, as it encourages bad habits... at least for me it needs a little extra pressure to deliver the best closeness, which will litetally bite you if you forget to adjust your technique when switching to a razor with more (any) blade exposure.

I can't dispute your enjoyment of the razor. But it has to be noted that there is nothing particularly unique in the design of the EFBT that sets it apart from myriad others. Here's the ubiquitous 1950s Star 100. Though the Gillette is more stout the shave is roughly the same as you'd expect looking at the two. I prefer the Star for its superior handle.

proxy.php

I hear a lot about how people love their Tech's. As much as I try, I don't think I'll ever like the shave I get from my ball end Tech.

I'll be selling mine, along with my flair tip super speed. Both don't offer the shave I like.

That being said, congrats on finding success with yours!!

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
The only Tech I’ve kept (and I’ve tried them all) is my Hybrid Tech. There’s something special about the raised flat bottom that my face loves.

B

Barney14

I can't dispute your enjoyment of the razor. But it has to be noted that there is nothing particularly unique in the design of the EFBT that sets it apart from myriad others. Here's the ubiquitous 1950s Star 100. Though the Gillette is more stout the shave is roughly the same as you'd expect looking at the two. I prefer the Star for its superior handle.

proxy.php

The Tech is a lovely razor but the Star shaves that bit better.

My only gripe is the top cap of the Star is pot metal.

I'll freely admit that I like the construction of the FBT better than the stamped 3 pc. Techs or similar designs from myriad other makers, but I'll reiterate: *for my use* it has the best all-around blend of handling characteristics and shaving performance, but everybody has a different face, so I don't expect my favorite razor to be your favorite razor!

It's all better than multi-blade cartridges :D

You might want to try the Star . It's also better balanced than the EFBT which in my version is rather head heavy.
I'll freely admit that I like the construction of the FBT better than the stamped 3 pc. Techs or similar designs from myriad other makers, but I'll reiterate: *for my use* it has the best all-around blend of handling characteristics and shaving performance, but everybody has a different face, so I don't expect my favorite razor to be your favorite razor!

Personally I am totally nonplussed by the EFBT. Its weakness becomes apparent going ATG on my head where the lowly postwar Tech, Mamba, Old Type, Short Comb, and $7 Baili/RR Teck2, outshave it. Just because a razor is scarce or British doesn't make it better, for me anyway. There's a certain fetishism of unusual/scarce/expensive razors where magical qualities are imparted to them which in many cases strikes me as wishful thinking. I think this is one of those cases. Or YMMV. Take your pick.

+1

I couldn't have said it better myself!

I never tried the Mamba...

B

Barney14

Thats the thing with safety razors what's great for some is not so great for others, as you say its all better than cartridge razors.

To be honest i had a hard time parting with my Tech, they are superbly well made and give a great shave, my son has it now and having only ever used carts before is blown away by it, he tried my Star and hated it.

English flat bottom techs are not that scarce or expensive - I’ve seen quite a few of them on eBay over the last couple of months since I bought mine. Far more than I expected to see.

Just did a fairly intensive search and found one FBT with *zero* plating left for $30... not too bad since a good re-plate is under $50...

What I *am* impressed by is how many Aristocrat variants are on right now.

Just did a fairly intensive search and found one FBT with *zero* plating left for $30... not too bad since a good re-plate is under $50...

What I *am* impressed by is how many Aristocrat variants are on right now.
You just have to search for Gillette and wade through all the rubbish. I bought one with reasonable plating for $40 recently.

fbt1.jpg

fbt2.jpg

fbt3.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom