What's new

English Fern HELP NEEDED

I have a huge favor to ask. I was wondering if someone would be willing to help me figure out what English Fern smells like. I am intrigued by the positive reviews, but I don't want pay for the scent library to get one sample. I don't need an actual bottled sample, I was wondering if someone would be willing to just put a dab/spray on some card stock and mail it to me so that I can get an idea of what it smells like.

I would be more than happy to reimburse you for whatever postage it costs and send you a package of feather blades (or whatever else seems reasonable).

Thanks!

You could send an email to Penhaligon's and they'll mail you a few free samples if you specify which ones you want (I'm waiting for mine to arrive). That way you'll see what it smells like on you.
I'd read good reviews for some of the Floris scents and thanks to free samples I found out some of them don't work for me.

+1 On the samples - most fragrance houses are willing to send a bunch of samples out for a nominal cost, if not free.

letterk-
thanks for the offer. I will try contacting penhaligan's again. I have already emailed them once and never heard back, but I will try again and see what happens.

Thanks everyone!

Pen and Truefitt are usually pretty good about giving out free samples, since they know that people like us who are discriminate will end up buying something.

The worst they can say is that you'll have to pay. So forking a dollar or two for samps won't be too bad. :badger:

Addendum!!!!

I called them up and they are willing to give samples of the cologne (not the aftershave, unfortunately).

Pretty good service!

Penhaligon's is quite generous with their samples. The vials are much larger than what you typically see. You can get some real mileage out of them before having to take the purchase plunge. I wish some of the other fragrance houses would follow suite.

letterk-
thanks for the offer. I will try contacting penhaligan's again. I have already emailed them once and never heard back, but I will try again and see what happens.

Thanks everyone!

When I emailed and asked for samples of items not in the scent library (Duoro/Castille), they sent them out rather promptly, but never replied to the email. Be patient and I suspect they'll (it'll) come soon.

letterk-

Thanks everyone!

Hey guys, I just wanted to give an update. I re-emailed penhaligans and they said that samples would be sent out. Thanks for the tips, I update the thread for any lurkers who care and say how it all turns out.

Thanks again. :smile:

I got the sampler pack from Pen, and the first frag I tried was the English Fern, mostly because of all the rave reviews it's gotten on the board(s). I took a shower, put some English Fern on, let my wife have a wiff, she exclaimed, "your going to have to take another shower." It was horrible. Smelled like a combination of turpentine and pinesol.

I figured I'd give it a chance, see if it grew on me. Wouldn't you know it, after it dries down a bit, it's not all that bad. But when I first put it on, I thought it was horrid. I don't think I'd drop nearly $100 on a bottle of this stuff, I don't even think I'd pay $50 a bottle. It smells ok after it's been on a bit, though.

I had the same experience with Blenheim Bouquet. Now some of their other frag's are very nice. Of course, I know this will draw some fire, but this is just my experience. You'll have to let us know what you think when you receive your samples.

Steve

Fragrances are very much YMMV. It depends how it mixes with your body chemistry. I'm lucky (or unlucky depending on how you look at it), all the Penhaligon's products work with me. The English Fern starts a little harsh, but blends with my personal body chemistry and in 30 min. or so I'm in an English woods. I called the PenhaligonUSA location and told them i was interested in Racquets, Hammann Bouquet, Lavendula, and Endymion. They shipped the samples that day. They also had some of the discontinued Men's Sampler available.

The only fragrance that really did not work for me was Clubman Lilac Vegetal. (Shudder) It almost made me ill, but there are some for whom it works very well (they say).

I concure with the Lilac Vegital, it's simply horid. I'm surprised they even manufacture something with that kind of odor. I bought it, along with clubman aftershave, which I love. One smell and the Vegital went right into the trash.

Steve

Hey guys, I just wanted to give an update. I re-emailed penhaligans and they said that samples would be sent out. Thanks for the tips, I update the thread for any lurkers who care and say how it all turns out.

Thanks again. :smile:

Got my sampler today. Tried E.F. Personally, I really like it. i will have to wait until wife gets home to see what she says. I was really happy with the samples and at Penhaligon's generosity. It is well worth sending an email, you get a wide selection of good colognes. Cool stuff.

Top Bottom