What's new

English Ever-Ready 1912 Modification

Among recent purchases was a English Ever-Ready with an unusual handle. On arrival it turned out to have an aluminum handle that someone had apparently hand turned. They had also re-tapped the threads on the razor head to DE razor standard, 5mm x .8mm. The aluminum handle was original length but larger diameter and glued on with Loctite or a similar item. Taking advantage of a already Frankenrazored item, and having wanted a Gem or Ever-Ready razor from this era with a longer modern handle, I made up a male stud for a modern SS handle and have installed it on the 1912. Handle I used is the RazoRock Barber pole, a excellent and inexpensive stainless steel handle. As the razor was already a frankenrazor I have no regrets for my modification even though the head was in about 99% condition other than the threads modification. IMO a excellent "user" razor modification if you prefer larger handles.

ER-Frankenrazor-2.jpg
Razorock-Handle-1.JPG

Virtually all of the Ever-Ready branded 1912's, both English and US made, as well as the later Gem 1912's with the exception of the "squat head" models used the standard thread. They may be fitted with modern handles with the addition of a setscrew.

British Ever-Ready sets with aluminum handles are fairly common.

--Bob

I believe that is an original handle from a peerless set.

proxy.php

Not my razor just a pic I grabbed from google.

Looks like Bathroom Set to me.
Cause of many a "wait, is that a Streamline handle????" moments on eBay for me.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Well someone had glued the aluminum handle on and as I have two other Made in England 1912 razors I wanted one with a larger modern handle as a user. I still have the aluminum handle so can fit it to another head if I decide to. I thought the handle was not original as it does not appear to be anodized. Looks like raw aluminum finish.

Doood!!! You are the MAN! :w00t:

Nah, I just happened to find one at an antique shop recently, someone else on the sight told me it was a Peerless. mine has a hex handle though, but while looking for info I saw some had a round handle.
Well someone had glued the aluminum handle on and as I have two other Made in England 1912 razors I wanted one with a larger modern handle as a user. I still have the aluminum handle so can fit it to another head if I decide to. I thought the handle was not original as it does not appear to be anodized. Looks like raw aluminum finish.
I'm not sure that it was glued on. Mine was stuck very hard too. I soaked it for a day in soapy water, tried penetrating oil, and it still would't come apart. It finally came apart after heating with a blow dryer. I think it may have been a reaction between the three dis-similar metals and the soap for so many years almost welded it together. The threads looked and felt good though, so I may be wrong about the reason. Here's a pic of mine.
dscf0034-jpg.782510

Mine definitely glued or Loctited as i could see the residue on the threads once i got it off and tight all the way coming off. Tightest handle I have ever seen to remove.

Looks like a killer handle! I would clean 'er up, put some petroleum jelly on the threads, and re-unite that handle and head! :thumbup:

Top Bottom