What's new

England's badger cull - thoughts?

I use a badge brush so I guess I cant really complain. I also eat meat so if this reduces the likeliness of tb spreading, then it has to be done.

The problem is that significant research has been done to show that it isn't going to effect the TB spread at all. I use synthetics, not a meat eater, so I'm probably biased about this anyway.

Badgers are predominantly nocturnal which means these guys need night vision. The most opportunistic time to perform the cull would have been during the mating season.

Last edited:
Turn all those badgers to badger shaving brushes...don't worry guys, someone else will do for you, the dirty job!

this isn't entirely PC, but wouldn't this increase supply of european badger fur? (so increased supply results in maybe pricing specials? lol, wishful thinking)

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
They should manage the badgers the way we manage our wild horses... adopt them into loving families when the population gets out of hand.

I live a few miles from the area in Gloucestershire where the shooting has just started. Never seen so many people wandering about the countryside in HiViz vests at night! Hundreds of people of all ages are out there every night disrupting the shoots.

It is simply a political thing. The government want to be seen to be doing something about the TB problem, even though all their scientists have told them it won't work and is a waste of time. In fact, where they have tried it in other countries it has often made the problem worse as badgers from outside the area move in to take the place of the badgers that have been killed. What happens then is that they can be killing clean, healthy badgers only for them to be replaced by infected ones from the surrounding area.

I think you can guarantee the dead badgers won't be used to make brushes, simply incinerated.

Gareth

There is science for and against a cull. (On both effectiveness and cost efficiency grounds.)
But the cull is happening, whether the protestors want it to or not, and whether it is effective or not. The wheels are in motion.
Attempts to sabotage the cull will achieve nothing. They are simply an exercise in self-indulgence by people who can't accept the insignificance of their opinions.
The fur will not be used to make brushes, it's still illegal to do so.

Thanks to all the witty, insightful, and thoughtful comments. Modern times, multifaceted issues. Hopefully things work out for the best ...

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Thanks to all the witty, insightful, and thoughtful comments. Modern times, multifaceted issues. Hopefully things work out for the best ...

Probably not so well for the unlucky badgers tho. Hide, my little brothers, HIDE!!! Run, Far, Far Away!!!!!!!!!

The article is interesting, but it will not affect shaving brushes at all. Most, if not all, badger hair knots come from China.

EDIT:

The fur will not be used to make brushes, it's still illegal to do so.

I was going to mention this, but was not sure how accurate it was. Thank you for clarifying.

Is it illegal to do so because of the risk of TB? Or is it another reason?

Seems to be based on prevention of cruelty (badger baiting etc.)

Protection of Badgers Act 1992

(3)A person is guilty of an offence if, except as permitted by or under this Act, he has in his possession or under his control any dead badger or any part of, or anything derived from, a dead badger.
(4)A person is not guilty of an offence under subsection (3) above if he shows that—

Note that there are exceptions, so technically it might be legal to use the badger hair under some circumstances (like the present cull), but the onus is on the person who has possession to show his innocence, which will be impractical or impossible.
It would take a brave supplier to test the law on this matter.

Seems to me that the Act should be nullified during a Cull, the badgers are being hunted anyway.
At all other times the Act is useful I imagine.

I still vote for a badger shaving farm.

They should manage the badgers the way we manage our wild horses... adopt them into loving families when the population gets out of hand.
a badger with a loving family? wow...can't see that happening at all they are vicious beasties ...unless you mean the Addams family??

Top Bottom