What's new

Engelswerk Solingen-Foche "Andenken au Sinzig a/Rh

Hello to all, I'm a new member here, and thinking of returning to straight razor shaving after many years of using disposable cartridges. My grandfather was a barber, and insisted that I learn to "shave properly" when my first peach fuzz appeared, but when I got my first trac-2, the straight was left behind. I still have his strop and hone and a couple of his favorite Dubl Duck razors, but as I never mastered the art of honing, I will be sending the razors out for a refresh before subjecting my face to them.

I stumbled across this forum a few days ago and it seems that you folks are in posession of just the sort of knowledge that I seek as I begin my return to the bare blade.

Now to the point of my post: I recently purchased a couple of razors on e-Bay, and would appreciate any info regarding them. The first is an Engelswerk Solingen-Foche "Andenken au Sinzig a/Rh". the second one is a W.H. Morley.

I paid $52. hope I didn't get taken too bad:blushing:

Last edited:
I hope they are as nice as they appear in the pics. I haven't rec'd them yet, but hope they require nothing more than a clean up and honing to make them shave-ready. I will be sending them off to a pro for this, at any rate.
I am grateful to the forum for providing info in other threads re: who to trust for this type of work.

Welcome to B&B.

Engelswerk was made by C.W. Engels, a sister company of the more famous F.W. Engels. Located in Solingen and New York and owned by Emil Engels. In business from 1909 to 1943.
Andenken au Sinzig is german for "Souvenir of Sinzig" (a town in Germany).

W.H. Morley & Sons was a german knife and razor maker in business from 1913 to 1927.

The good news is that both would normally be excellent razors.
The bad news is that they've both been heavily honed and look a little uneven.
They could probably be salvaged, but they definitely need work. The condition is iffy for the price you paid.

If I may make a suggestion. You're better off to stay away from ebay razors until you learn a little more about vintage straights. They can be a crapshoot even if you know what to look for. I've picked up a few with cracked blades, warped scales and chipped edges.
You'd be better off to buy a shave ready vintage straight from the BST forum here or from one of the vendors who advertise here. Or get your Dubl Ducks (good razors and even more important family heirlooms) honed and use those for now.

I hope this doesn't deflate you as it's meant as information not criticism. Straight shaving and collecting razors is a lot of fun and I hope you continue with it.

Thanks for the welcome!
No worry about being deflated, the info is exactly what I was looking for.
The "good,Bad, and Ugly"
As to grandpa's razors, yeah, they will be restored and used. The e-Bay purchases were simply an impulse buy, as I was intrigued by the covered tang and the scale material on the Engleswerk, and the Morley is a match for one that I used to own, that I remember as being a nice shave.

Thanks for the welcome!
No worry about being deflated, the info is exactly what I was looking for.
The "good,Bad, and Ugly"
As to grandpa's razors, yeah, they will be restored and used. The e-Bay purchases were simply an impulse buy, as I was intrigued by the covered tang and the scale material on the Engleswerk, and the Morley is a match for one that I used to own, that I remember as being a nice shave.

They're very nice scales. Probably bone. As I said before, the razors can probably be salvaged. They've had a lot of metal removed by honing already and may need more removed to fix the edge.

"What's an impulse buy?" says I who went from one straight to 2 dozen in a couple of months. :lol:
You have the requisite AD potential to fit right in here. Sorry for your wallet.

I buy off ebay because I have a little more experience to hedge my bets and I do my own cleaning, polishing and honing. Each of the razors you bought will probably cost you around $50. each (including postage) by the time you get them honed. For around that you can pick up a nice condition vintage straight that's already been cleaned, polished and honed.

. Each of the razors you bought will probably cost you around $50. each (including postage) by the time you get them honed. For around that you can pick up a nice condition vintage straight that's already been cleaned, polished and honed.

This is solid advice..

Ah well, that's not bad then. I generally don't mind spending a bit to get what I want, lol. It's not like the wallet really has any sayso when AD kicks in, eh? :biggrin1:

I have a feeling this is just the begining, and for sure will be checking out the offerings in the B/S/T thread.

Thanks for the welcome and all the info so far.

Top Bottom