What's new

Endgame... The ATT SE1/Schick Proline Journal

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Gotcha. Thanks.

After failing at irritation-free follicle harvesting with Aveeno Therapeutic on its own, I've taken to mixing it with Kiss My Face pomegranate-grapefruit and 5 drops of glycerin. It's still not a substitute for good technique or common sense, but it's got the residual slickness I crave and smells like a well-balanced breakfast for my face.

thombrogan

A few drops of glycerin in your alchemical blendings. It's the difference between Cremogena and Cremogena Plus and the oatmeal grapefruit breakfast that promotes prudence or recklessness.

A few drops of glycerin in your alchemical blendings. It's the difference between Cremogena and Cremogena Plus and the oatmeal grapefruit breakfast that promotes prudence or recklessness.

I've uber lathered many times, dialed it back to super lather though.

thombrogan

The lather seemed the same size and density. It's slicker than a Snicker.

So frick plus frack equals "super lather"
and
Frick plus frack plus a few drips of glycerin equals "über lather"
and
Frick plus frack, glycerin, and kaolin not originally in either soap or cream equals "enough, curse you!" ?

The lather seemed the same size and density. It's slicker than a Snicker.

So frick plus frack equals "super lather"
and
Frick plus frack plus a few drips of glycerin equals "über lather"
and
Frick plus frack, glycerin, and kaolin not originally in either soap or cream equals "enough, curse you!" ?

Sounds about right! Never heard of the kaolin stuff though.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
My shade tree mechanic skills started with skateboards then bicycles, a lawnmower and then cars.

I took a small gas engines class in high school, we tore down an old lawnmower, honed it, cleaned up the parts and put it back together. I got my non running lawnmower from a family friend and gave it back good as new at the end of the class.

I learned how to work on cars because I didn't have money to pay to get them fixed when I started driving.
But did you make your first skateboard from an old dresser and and old Super Skate???

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
This is why the Chevy 396 was prone to throwing rods right through the block. Those engines rev quickly and its very easy to be well past red line before you know it.
Yep, a rod eating Rat Motor...........the 396

But did you make your first skateboard from an old dresser and and old Super Skate???

In Brooklyn, NY we used the metal skates like on the ones below. An old fruit crate had thick side pieces of wood that we would rip off and mount the skate to it. Like the top skateboard in the picture.

index(5).jpg

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I skipped right past skateboards and went directly from bicycle to truck lol.

So, with further investigation, it seems that VDH simply changed the box of the Deluxe shave soap I was using and the price is more than double now. I should have stocked up on it. I refuse to buy it at the higher price.

VDH Deluxe was $.85/oz and now it's $1.80/oz, 2.5 oz puck.
William's mug shave soap cost me $1.02/oz, 1.75 oz puck.

William's mug shave is in a box, with no other wrapping. I may stock up on them and store them in a plastic container before they raise the price of it too.

The VDH soap came in a plastic container in a box. They were probably losing money selling it that cheap. I bought a 12 pack in 2015 for $25.55 and then another 12 pack in 2017 for the same price when I ran out. And now it's more than double, I'm not happy about this.

Last edited:
There may be hope for me!

I was buying the VDH Deluxe from Amazon. Just looked around and Walgreen's has them cheap online only. If I get over $35 worth, it's.$.91/oz with free shipping.

Had to take a trip this past week and got the best gas mileage from my Rogue since I had it. 25 mpg on the hwy was probably the best I've got before now. The car is rated at 28 mpg hwy. This was the first trip I took since I changed the CVT fluid and started using 93 octane. Not sure if it helped or not, but I had traction control off the whole trip.

The trip there was nonstop with a little bit of traffic leaving my state. The dash read 31 mpg going and 31.5 mpg back. I stopped once at a Walmart on the trip back, I didn't get gas, we're having food shortages in my state because of this stupid virus, so I stopped in another state.

70 mph, 2000 rpm was pretty much the fastest I went. The slower I went the better my mileage got but I wasn't willing to go any slower. My tires are not balanced since I put on the new wheels myself, mileage probably would've been better.

20200313_110808.jpg

It says I have 36 miles left on the tank, which is usually 50-60, the gas light came on when I reached my neighborhood but probably could have hit 500 hwy miles on the tank if I was willing to test it that far.

20200313_121415.jpg

Last edited:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
It's not easy getting the maximum mileage in a vehicle. Cruise control wont let you come even close in my car. The average I set on the drives to and from Wawa were done mostly with the cruise control on. The best I did in my 1999 was almost 39mpg and that wasnt done by using the cruise control, but was done at around 60mph.

I havent intentionally tried to get the best mileage I can out of my new one. For the little gas it burns and the price of gas here the last few months especially, I dont even care. Its a lot better than the Chevelle and the Chevelle was a lot better than my old truck lol. I did check it in the truck once on a shorter trip, 3 hours each way, driving normally and just having fun with friends. I got 2mpg!

Toronto is 120 miles. Normally driving there in my truck it would be 1 full tank and I was looking for the first gas station I could find. Usually I'd have both tanks full before I left and still need to stop on the way home lol. Both tanks were 17g's each.

In my 06, I can drive there, go fishing and drive back, cruise set at 5mph over the limit for $30. $20 if I try.

Cruise control wont let you come even close in my car.

Yeah, I used cruise control for the entire trip.

I think traction control hurts my gas mileage. My car has electronic LSD that uses the brakes to settle things. Even when traction control is off, I believe it is still on and constantly interfering, so I turn it off when I remember.

I got 2mpg!

A whole 2 mpg, WOW!

I filled up at a SAM's Club(Walmart member big store) and someone was filling up a truck with one of those half flat beds. He had a permanent tank on top. He said the regular tank was 40 gallons and the top tank was 80 gallons and automatically filled the 40 gallon tank when it got low. I believe he said he got about 8 mpg.

I drove for over 6 hours straight going and didn't have the CVT overheating or limp mode issues I had last year. I still haven't installed the cooler yet. The fluid change with Valvoline solved that problem.

Last edited:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I think traction control hurts my gas mileage. My car has electronic LSD that uses the brakes to settle things. Even when traction control is off, I believe it is still on and constantly interfering.

Traction control usually works through the ABS system. In my car, thats linked from the wheel bearing, so if I have a bad connection or at the plug on the bearing housing or a bad pigtail, both ABS and traction control stops working.

Traction control should engage and disengage effortlessly. If it hangs up it mostly likely would be from a dirty brake assembly. The brake pads need to slide freely in the caliper and the piston needs to retract without hanging up from dirt around the piston boot.

Yeah, with the lift kit in my truck the aerodynamics were pretty bad. It wouldnt go any faster than 96mph, but it would hold it through a full tank of gas as long as I stayed in 2nd gear lol. It was like a flying brick. A loud flying brick lol.

One of the guys I moose hunted with had a 750L/200g tank installed in the back of his pickup. That fed his truck for the trip along with 2 or 3 ATV's and the generator he always kept running on his 22 foot flatbed trailer for storing food, and Moose, in the freezer lol.

I drove for over 6 hours straight going and didn't have the CVT overheating or limp mode issues I had last year. I still haven't installed the cooler yet. The fluid change with Valvoline solved that problem.

Its not summer yet. I hope the fluid change will solve it, but I think its more temperature dependent.

Its not summer yet. I hope the fluid change will solve it, but I think its more temperature dependent.

We shall see.

It was 80 degrees when I left yesterday and in the 70's for most of the trip. It didn't hit the 60's until about the last hour or so, last 70 or 80 miles. The last 50 miles was straight northeast to my house.
Traction control should engage and disengage effortlessly. If it hangs up it mostly likely would be from a dirty brake assembly. The brake pads need to slide freely in the caliper and the piston needs to retract without hanging up from dirt around the piston boot.

I don't think there's an issue with traction control, I just think it may ingage prematurely and scrub off speed and kill gas mileage. I'm sure it does what it's designed to do, I don't know how sensitive it is.

Last edited:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
The TSB I read stated that they can be driven at 65mph for one hour at 85F before theres a chance of the belt slipping. How that translates to anyones driving is their guess.

Traction control on my car kicks in instantly when slippage from either tire is indicated, no matter the surface I'm driving on. Even light dirt or gravel and even bumps when coming to a stop. That is really annoying because I have a habit of lifting my foot off the pedal when it shudders lol. It also doesnt cycle fast enough. Not much we can do about it though. Turning it off in my car isnt an option, even on dry pavement lol.

The TSB I read stated that they can be driven at 65mph for one hour at 85F before theres a chance of the belt slipping. How that translates to anyones driving is their guess.

I'm sure I get the CVT fluid pretty hot when I turn O/D off and give it the beans on these twistie back roads, the rpm stays over 4,000.

I'll find out soon enough.

Last edited:
Top Bottom