What's new

Endgame... The ATT SE1/Schick Proline Journal

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Wanting to and needing to are two different things.

<< confused, sad noises >>

This is why I say to shave for comfort and make comfort your #1 priority. If steep is more comfortable and more gentle on your skin, stick with it. If you get hints that shallow may work out better remember those areas and incorporate both. Eventually it will come together.

Seeing how poorly being impatient has worked for me…

Intellectually, that’s understandable - develop the skills that could lead to an irritation-free BBS shave and then have a higher likelihood of achieving same. Darn it all

Editing to add: WTG, they’re all good with shallow and neutral feeling better; ATG, steep and neutral are easier to control and have half a prayer of avoiding skin scraping; no idea on XTG.

Using such a thin and slippery film helped highlight just how little pressure was needed and how fine an angle it really is. Using a regular lather from shaving soap masks much of that feeling so its difficult to be as accurate.

Thanks! That ties in with AimlessWanderer’s comments on lathers.

Will see what patiently chasing this comfort stuff is all about.

Last edited:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
<< confused, sad noises >>

Seeing how poorly being impatient has worked for me…

Intellectually, that’s understandable - develop the skills that could lead to an irritation-free BBS shave and then have a higher likelihood of achieving same. Darn it all

Editing to add: WTG, they’re all good with shallow and neutral feeling better; ATG, steep and neutral are easier to control and have half a prayer of avoiding skin scraping; no idea on XTG.

Thanks! That ties in with AimlessWanderer’s comments on lathers.

Will see what patiently chasing this comfort stuff is all about.

A patient methodical approach, I found, is best but it isnt easy with so many temptations. Once the novelty wears off a bit it becomes easier to focus, then it becomes routine. All the while you're constantly improving and by this time next year you'll be wondering what all the trouble was lol.

When you get to that point, try a Mach 3 or something again and you'll be reminded just how good all of this actually is.

thombrogan

@Esox , @rabidus - the combination of your advice finally got me closer to my desired results than before.

My last ATG-only shave was BBS, had less irritation than all my other BBS-level shaves, and made even the temptation to shave the next evening unfathomable.

35 hours later and my stubble is at the “I could shave” and not the “Have to or I’ll tear it out bare-handed” stage and feels softer somehow. Doubt I could go the full, recommended week, but I doubted I could go more than 24 hours.

Thanks again!

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
35 hours later and my stubble is at the “I could shave” and not the “Have to or I’ll tear it out bare-handed” stage and feels softer somehow.

This is why I shave every 48 hours, I just dont need to any sooner.

thombrogan

I’m at the “I could go every 72 hours until more is healed, but my Bride got me a bunch of shave soaps for our anniversary and they all smell great” stage.

@Esox , @rabidus - the combination of your advice finally got me closer to my desired results than before.

My last ATG-only shave was BBS, had less irritation than all my other BBS-level shaves, and made even the temptation to shave the next evening unfathomable.

35 hours later and my stubble is at the “I could shave” and not the “Have to or I’ll tear it out bare-handed” stage and feels softer somehow. Doubt I could go the full, recommended week, but I doubted I could go more than 24 hours.

Thanks again!

Man up! :lol:

I understand totally, doubt I would have been able to stop for a week in the beginning. A week will do your skin some good though.

Glad I could help.

thombrogan

I was able to get some more VDH Deluxe, So I'll have to compare them. They cost about the same per ounce.

Hi, Anthony! Have you been able to compare the VDH Deluxe+Aveeno Therapeutic and VDH Deluxe+Aveeno Positively Smooth combinations versus Williams Mug with the same?

thombrogan

Bumping journal for two reasons:

1. Despite using only the asbestos AC-format single edge safety razor and blade, @rabidus ‘s method can work with many budget-friendly items and his brush and lather accessories are already budget-friendly

2. Make Wes; @TinyT ; jealous so he’ll be back sooner.

Top Bottom