What's new

Enders speed razor blade alternative (obsolete blade)

The click is pretty nice. I definitely lets you know it's seated properly. My carrier still clicks but I suspect that will eventually wear out.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
A strange thing happened to my carrier, I was altering it on the other side to make it milder because I only have one blade and was sliding it in and out to test and one of the ears broke off. I made to to stiff and tight possibly??, there is risk to altering this blade carrier and folks who try should know the last thing you want is a ear on the Enders blade to break off during your shave.
Thought I should let you know if trying to make carrier.

A strange thing happened to my carrier, I was altering it on the other side to make it milder because I only have one blade and was sliding it in and out to test and one of the ears broke off. I made to to stiff and tight possibly??, there is risk to altering this blade carrier and folks who try should know the last thing you want is a ear on the Enders blade to break off during your shave.
Thought I should let you know if trying to make carrier.

Sorry to hear that Ron. Was it one of the blades with or without the etched Greyhound.
I had that happen with one of the non greyhound blades. My Greyhound etched blade is still good.

Ron R

Sorry to hear that Ron. Was it one of the blades with or without the etched Greyhound.
I had that happen with one of the non greyhound blades. My Greyhound etched blade is still good.
I think it was one without the etching, I should of just left alone but I was making a adjustable model . One side is aggressive and flip it and the other side would of been milder. I had it working but the blade would sometimes get cocked sideways and was testing about 15 times and all of a sudden a heard a ping and there it was starring at me.
(The material is stainless steel shim stock that is used for alignments of equipment, I had it JB marine glued and filed. Stainless is easy to file and this is same thickness as the blade.
Enders carrier revision.jpg

Enders blade Tweak 3 (2).jpg
Enders blade carrier 2.jpg

So the crude looking side is the aggressive side......................This revision is a milder shave I was hoping.
The blade reveal was dialed back .005 thousands of a inch and new revision would of lost the 2 locating nibs.

When I get some Enders blades down the road I will make a nice adjustable carrier for the B-20 Schick proline blade. I should of tempered it a little on the ears so it could take a little more bending abuse.
Any ways that is kind of what happened with experimenting a little. I was thinking boy it would be nice to flip the blade and go from aggressive to milder in seconds was the goal.

Last edited:
I made a more aggressive one with a non-greyhound blade. That's the one that snapped on me. I was thinking it would be nice to make a carrier from stainless spring steel.

When I get some Enders blades down the road I will make a nice adjustable carrier for the B-20 Schick proline blade. I should of tempered it a little on the ears so it could take a little more bending abuse.
Any ways that is kind of what happened with experimenting a little. I was thinking boy it would be nice to flip the blade and go from aggressive to milder in seconds was the goal.

Now when you make a carrier for the B-20 Schick prolines, then I'll be looking for one so I can try this good looking razor out..but for now , it's too complicated for me to use old blades with.

@Ron R i use the same carrier for regular Shake blades and the Schick Proline B20s. Do you make separate carriers for the different blades. I know the Proline B20s have the one L shaped slot so a standard schick wouldn't work on a carrier made with the L shaped part.

Ron R

@Ron R i use the same carrier for regular Shake blades and the Schick Proline B20s. Do you make separate carriers for the different blades. I know the Proline B20s have the one L shaped slot so a standard schick wouldn't work on a carrier made with the L shaped part.
I only had the one Enders blade and the B20 had the L shape in the one slot, I just took a used Gem blade and removed that little L tail off after the JB weld set. I doubt my Enders shaver would take a normal length blade. The B20 blades are .005 thousands of inch shorter in length than a standard injector blade and is a tight fit still.

@Flintstone65 and I discovered that some Ender's have slightly narrower blade beds. I have 3 speed shavers and one speed razor. Of the 4 total razors 1 has the narrow blade bed. The rest fit a Chinese Schick blade with a little room to wiggle. The odd one out doesn't fit either the Chicks or the Proline B20s Flintstone65 ground the edges of a blade down a very small amount and was able to get a good fit and good shave with the one he has with the narrow Blade bed.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
@Flintstone65 and I discovered that some Ender's have slightly narrower blade beds. I have 3 speed shavers and one speed razor. Of the 4 total razors 1 has the narrow blade bed. The rest fit a Chinese Schick blade with a little room to wiggle. The odd one out doesn't fit either the Chicks or the Proline B20s Flintstone65 ground the edges of a blade down a very small amount and was able to get a good fit and good shave with the one he has with the narrow Blade bed.
Most of my Enders were the reverse of GAW9576's, 3 out of 4 of mine were too narrow inside to comfortably take either a Schick or a Proline; and as a result I broke the ears off of at least two blade carriers trying to get the blades to fit. Whenever anyone talked about using a blade carrier for an Enders I always missed the part where they said "hey, this is a VERY snug fit....it doesn't just slide/glide into place, at least without a significant amount of pressure". So I got frustrated with how difficult of a time I was having -- a shoutout to @GAW9576 for keeping me calm and encouraging me to keep at it -- I tried filing down the edges of the Proline with a diamond plate, but after what felt like a lifetime of rubbing that blade end against the plate, and breaking off another carrier-ear, I put it all away for a while. Then GAW9576 made a stellar Enders handle for me and we talked about the use of a dremel to grind the Schick/Proline blade ends down, and now I can take the blade (either Schick or Proline, I did both) plus the carrier in and out of the Enders as easily as if I was just using a vintage Enders blade. I have one Enders where the blade is tight, but doable, and I'm going to use the "trimmed" blades in it -- honestly, I'm so much happier not trying to jam that blade-carrier sandwich into the Enders that I'll never go back to using an untrimmed blade.

The tools and techniques I used were: a vise (I've got a Littlestown vise I restored) using Bessey soft-jaws, and two card magnets (an idea borrowed from @Ron R ) to hold the blade in place and keep the sharp edge safe; then using the grinding stone attachment, I ground off the slight protrusions that both the Schick and the Prolines have. Here's a couple of before-and-after pics:
proxy.php
proxy.php

It's really not difficult to do, and I did both a Schick and a Proline, and I get double-digit shaves from those blades, so I'll be good for a while. I'm hoping that a positive side-effect will be that my carrier lasts longer since I don't need to apply so much pressure to put it in and/or take it out. Hope this helps someone....sure wish I had seen something like this 2 or 3 blade carriers ago. Now I'd love to hear a way for a one-ear carrier to somehow be fixed/used. :001_smile

Ron R

Most of my Enders were the reverse of GAW9576's, 3 out of 4 of mine were too narrow inside to comfortably take either a Schick or a Proline; and as a result I broke the ears off of at least two blade carriers trying to get the blades to fit. Whenever anyone talked about using a blade carrier for an Enders I always missed the part where they said "hey, this is a VERY snug fit....it doesn't just slide/glide into place, at least without a significant amount of pressure". So I got frustrated with how difficult of a time I was having -- a shoutout to @GAW9576 for keeping me calm and encouraging me to keep at it -- I tried filing down the edges of the Proline with a diamond plate, but after what felt like a lifetime of rubbing that blade end against the plate, and breaking off another carrier-ear, I put it all away for a while. Then GAW9576 made a stellar Enders handle for me and we talked about the use of a dremel to grind the Schick/Proline blade ends down, and now I can take the blade (either Schick or Proline, I did both) plus the carrier in and out of the Enders as easily as if I was just using a vintage Enders blade. I have one Enders where the blade is tight, but doable, and I'm going to use the "trimmed" blades in it -- honestly, I'm so much happier not trying to jam that blade-carrier sandwich into the Enders that I'll never go back to using an untrimmed blade.

The tools and techniques I used were: a vise (I've got a Littlestown vise I restored) using Bessey soft-jaws, and two card magnets (an idea borrowed from @Ron R ) to hold the blade in place and keep the sharp edge safe; then using the grinding stone attachment, I ground off the slight protrusions that both the Schick and the Prolines have. Here's a couple of before-and-after pics:
proxy.php
proxy.php

It's really not difficult to do, and I did both a Schick and a Proline, and I get double-digit shaves from those blades, so I'll be good for a while. I'm hoping that a positive side-effect will be that my carrier lasts longer since I don't need to apply so much pressure to put it in and/or take it out. Hope this helps someone....sure wish I had seen something like this 2 or 3 blade carriers ago. Now I'd love to hear a way for a one-ear carrier to somehow be fixed/used. :001_smile
It is great to bring these old Ender Shavers back to life, they are very modern looking,light and were ahead of its time maybe. I do not regret putting some life back into mine. I like to experiment in these boring days of mine, I had mine to the point of being adjustable razor in about the same time it would take to adjust a slim or fatboy. It would of only been aggressive & milder carrier like you see on razors like the Rockwell C or S concept.
It is not new doing this concept to me because I'm already doing this to my Oneblade Core with great success. It is so much easier with the Core and only takes a few minutes.
The Enders takes me a little longer because I have to measure and use Marine JB weld to secure the plates (Marine JB Weld is a EXcellent product for this project). Next one will be made a little different if I get around to it. Now I have to find some Enders blades to go to version 3 &...... :001_wub:
Ebay Enders blades are pricey IMO, they want more than I paid for my razor!:lol:

It is great to bring these old Ender Shavers back to life, they are very modern looking,light and were ahead of its time maybe. I do not regret putting some life back into mine. I like to experiment in these boring days of mine, I had mine to the point of being adjustable razor in about the same time it would take to adjust a slim or fatboy. It would of only been aggressive & milder carrier like you see on razors like the Rockwell C or S concept.
It is not new doing this concept to me because I'm already doing this to my Oneblade Core with great success. It is so much easier with the Core and only takes a few minutes.
The Enders takes me a little longer because I have to measure and use Marine JB weld to secure the plates (Marine JB Weld is a EXcellent product for this project). Next one will be made a little different if I get around to it. Now I have to find some Enders blades to go to version 3 &...... :001_wub:
Ebay Enders blades are pricey IMO, they want more than I paid for my razor![emoji38]
Hmm I just do the adjustment on my Enders (I keep three in service) with my finger. It takes a few seconds. This is one advantage of not using a carrier.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

Ron R

Hmm I just do the adjustment on my Enders (I keep three in service) with my finger. It takes a few seconds. This is one advantage of not using a carrier.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk
I know you have a larger razor collection than most and that is cool you put those in use that way. I guess a person could have 2 different Enders blade carriers for 3 or 4 different settings and 1 razor.(Just thinking out loud Jim.)
Have some great shaves.

Top Bottom