What's new

End on end dress shirts--yet another shirt thread

I was on the verge of ordering shirts from Brooks Brothers last night, but I just couldn't make myself pull the trigger on the purchase. Some introspection afterward, I determined why I wasn't really intent on buying their shirts. It is the same reason why I've not bought any shirts from Charles Tyrwhitt or TM Lewin.

The shirts I am intent on replacing are too big for me, but I love the look of them. Almost all of them are end-on-end broadcloth solids, and I want the replacements to be very similar to these. Unfortunately, I cannot get these from BB without requesting custom-made shirts (@ $130 a pop). Other retailers offer end-on-end shirts, but the selection is small, and often includes stripes, which detract from the visual appeal of that type of fabric (imo).

All that said (er...typed), my first question is: does anyone know of a shirt retailer that offers OTR slim-fit shirts in a wide selection of end-on-end solids?

If not, I would like some recommendations from folks who have had shirts made. Note that I live in Tallahassee Florida, and won't likely be able to meet anyone from, say, Maxwell's, any time soon.

I was also looking at the BB end on ends and noticed that they have 25% off if you buy three...still a bit pricey at 97.50 but they do have some unique options.
I read on another thread about mytailor.com. They have a number of end on end solids in two-plys from $75 on up but not OTR. A couple of the OTRs I've seen have been just as expensive as some customs.
Nordstrom.com has a navy end on end brand I'm not familar with: Calibrate Trim Fit Dress Shirt for 69.50.

I suspect you may want to look to a custom shirtmaker option.

Go custom: You may pay more but you will be happier.

After several weeks of beginning to order a made-to-measure shirt online and balking, I finally went by Nic's Toggery here in Tallahassee. George Gavalas measured me, and I was impressed with his thoroughness and thoughtfulness in covering every aspect, from measuring shoulder slope on each side, to measuring each arm's length separately.

He had me try on three different "shell" shirts, 40", 42", and 44", so that he could work out both the fit in the shoulders and how much cloth to leave in the back (you want enough so that you can move, but not so much that it billows out like a sail). We also tried on a couple of different collars to ensure that the size was right.

I opted for no pocket, a medium spread collar, mitered button cuffs, and a clean back (no pleats or darts).

We found three good end-on-end cloth candidates, in pink, blue, and gray, and I opted for one each in blue and gray. I am not certain which service he is using to have the shirts made, but he expects a four week turnaround, and indicated that while they usually require four shirts to avoid a $50 "pattern charge," they were running a special with a two shirt minimum.

If I like the shirts well enough and if the pricing is suitably competitive, we may have to track down some other fabric options.

Top Bottom