What's new

Encouragement wanted.

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
Hey, all. I've been growing my winter beard since October, and I'd decided to shave it (or most of it) off after St. Patrick's Day. Well, there's going to be a benefit this weekend for a local who has cancer (I say local, because I've been here less than a year), and I've agreed to shave it off for money. Not just my beard, of course. My whole head, including my eyebrows. I've already agreed to it, but I think I still need to be psyched up. Beer makes you agree to things you hadn't planned on originally. For a good cause, I'm not going to renege on a promise, but some encouragement is wanted.

For charity, I have done the Polar Bear plunge into freezing cold mucky pond water (twice!) and walked a mile in high heels.

Having said that, I'd draw the line at the eyebrows, but that's me. I routinely shave my head now, so that would be par for the course.

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
Go for it all the way! :thumbup1:

Hair grows, on average, a half inch a month. In the spring it frequently grows quicker. It will grow back in no time.

Eyebrows grow quickly also. If you need them for this.... :ihih:

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
It's for a good cause, your gave your word, now do it!

Even the eyebrows though? :blink: you should try to keep those :biggrin1:

mswofford

Rest in Peace
Wow; And I thought the only difference between a good haircut and a bad haircut was a week....Go for it!

Kilroy6644

It's for a good cause, your gave your word, now do it!

Even the eyebrows though? :blink: you should try to keep those :biggrin1:
Enough beer, and a guy will agree to anything. Anyway, the eyebrows cost $100 more than the rest of my head.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Good for you. Hair grows back, but this will be a good story forever. Plus I can't wait to see your new look in the Post a Photo of You Having a Smoke Thread.

I have had this mental picture in my head all day and I keep thinking... were these caption kirk boots ?
or full on high heals like ? Is Teppanyaki a guy ? did you shave your leg's ?

1. Yes, I am a guy. :biggrin1:

2. The "Walk a mile in her shoes" was a domestic violence fundraiser. A bunch of guys from work, including myself, walked in real high heeled shoes for one mile. One particularly intelligent coworker brought cotton balls, which when stuffed into the toes of the shoes makes them marginally more comfortable.

3. We have a woman at the office who seems to be able to find every charity event that involves suffering and/or humiliation. She is the source of the Polar Bear plunge for Special Olympics, the high heeled walk for domestic violence . . . I dread to think of what she will find next. There is a 4 mile walk/jog in April, but I'm sure that there is a catch somewhere. Wild tigers along the route or something . . .

Good on you Kilroy. I've done the St. Baldricks before and it's a really good cause. Eyebrows will grow back.
If you're too ashamed to leave home, you can always just be a hermit smoking a pipe in your house :sailor:

Kilroy6644

Ok. That's not exactly what I'm doing, but it's similar. I don't think the event Saturday is affiliated with them. It's just a fundraiser for a local lady.

Ok. That's not exactly what I'm doing, but it's similar. I don't think the event Saturday is affiliated with them. It's just a fundraiser for a local lady.

You are doing a great thing. I incorrectly assumed it was St. Baldrick's because it is done around St. Paddy's Day similar to your event.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." - Ernest Hemingway

My only regret, and it was a slight regret, about shaving my head at a St. Baldrick's event was that they didn't "shave" my head. They clippered it close, but wouldn't shave it for insurance/health reasons.
Enjoy the shave, enjoy the beer, enjoy the hair-free noggin!

Top Bottom