What's new

Em's Place Shaving Soaps

Has anyone used the shaving soaps from Em's Place? These are glycerin shaving soaps and I am expecially interesed in the one called "Balanced". The Balanced shaving soap has sandalwood as it's main scent ingredient. Does anyone know if it smells like real Sandalwood?

Thanks! Based on the number of responses, it doesn't look like anyone has tried Em's Place.

It's been a long time since I've used any of Emily's products. I've tried her soaps (bay rum) and her aftershave soother/conditioner, also in bay rum. The soap lathered very well, and the aftershave balm is probably the best stuff I've EVER used for calming an irritated face after a shave. My technique has improved immensely, though, and I no longer need an aftershave with the calming effects afforded by Emily's products.

I can't comment on whether or not Emily's soaps smell like "real" sandalwood, since that's something that is determined by the individual, rather than any measurable standard. I do know that her general take on scents is that they should be subtle; something to be discovered rather than loudly announced like some drum and bugle corps.

Her stuff isn't that expensive. Give it a try!

It's been a long time since I've used any of Emily's products. I've tried her soaps (bay rum) and her aftershave soother/conditioner, also in bay rum. The soap lathered very well, and the aftershave balm is probably the best stuff I've EVER used for calming an irritated face after a shave. My technique has improved immensely, though, and I no longer need an aftershave with the calming effects afforded by Emily's products.

How was the scent of the bay rum shaving soap?

I bought some Lime years ago. It was a good soap that lathered fine and had a light, pleasant scent. The price was great. If you like glycerin soaps you should like hers.

The bay rum was fine, in my opinion, but I don't make any demands of bay rum other than what I think and believe it to be... a distilled elixir, lightly scented, and not designed to "wow" all the women you happen to walk by. Distilled bay oil will smell like cloves; bay trees are members of the allspice plant family.

Give her stuff a try! It won't bankrupt you.

Has anyone used the shaving soaps from Em's Place? These are glycerin shaving soaps and I am expecially interesed in the one called "Balanced". The Balanced shaving soap has sandalwood as it's main scent ingredient. Does anyone know if it smells like real Sandalwood?
You're hitting on two of my things right now: 1. Em's Place makes the best shave soaps I've ever used. I used them when I was starting out and thought every soap had the slickness (and residual slickness) of Em's. Then every other soap from other manufacturers I tried seemed like something was wrong, like it was bath soap instead of shave soap. Just couldn't compete with Em's.
I'm super cheap and $6 shipping seemed a lot for a $7.50 puck of soap, but I'm coming back to Em's. (It's the same shipping for two soaps, so might do that.)
2. I've been wanting a good Sandalwood scent. One of the soaps I tried that didn't work, but that smelled great, was Ogallala Sandalwood and bay rum. I want that scent (which is all sandalwood and no bay rum imo) but in a better soap. I've also been wondering about the "balanced" by Em's, and also the "woodstock," which might be a little hippie-ish. Her bay rum has a tiny bit of patchouli in it, but it's not overpowering, and it works well.
She does let you send a SASE and get a few free fragrance tabs, so I might do that. Or I might just plunk down the money and get two rounds of soap. I know the lather won't disappoint.

Em’s Place Bay Rum Glycerin Shave Soap Review

BOTTOM LINE UP FRONT (BLUF): A very nice soap. Subtle Bay Rum sent. Great lather that is slick and cushioning. Good post-shave feel. Quick service from a small-business manufacturer in the USA. Only $2.65 per ounce. Definitely worth giving it a try.

HOW I GOT THERE: Blame RAD. After ordering a new razor (mild case of RAD – Razor Acquisition Disorder), I needed to add one more prong to the shave stand and found Em’s Place’s 3-prong shave stand attachment on Etsy (Itself a nice product that filled the niche. See DIY Forks for Shaving Brush & Razor, 3-fork Component, Parts for Shaving Brush and Razor Holders, 3mm Round Wire, Shaving Brush Stand Forks - Etsy - https://www.etsy.com/listing/1365643332/diy-forks-for-shaving-brush-razor-3-fork?click_key=defbe6da3eb1ebfb1e22cca41b9c5bcdd3ab20d1%3A1365643332&click_sum=3ee0ebbc&ref=related-1&sts=1 ). While there, I noticed that Em’s Place also sells a Bay Rum shaving soap that was not expensive. Like a surfer looking for that perfect wave, I am always interested in trying reasonably priced Bay Rum shaving soaps, so I ordered a puck.

SOAP INGREDIENTS: Good stuff. Em’s Place website and Etsy store front list the ingredients as: “Ingredients: Cocos Nucifera (Coconut Oil), Elaesis Sp. (Palm Oil), Ricinus Communis (Castor Oil), Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower Oil), Kosher Vegetable Glycerin, Purified Aqua (Water), Sodium Hydroxide, Sorbitol, Sorbitan Oleate, and Vitamin E from Glycine Soja (Soybean) and essential oils as applicable. (It is the reaction of Sodium Hydroxide with oil and liquid that makes soap.).” Good stuff. See Em's Essential Oil Scented Glycerin Shaving Soap Rounds - https://emsplace.com/toiletries-and-soap/ems-essential-oil-scented-glycerin-shaving-soap-rounds/ and Glycerin Shaving Soap, Lathering Shave Soap, Mug Soap, Glyerin Soap Round, Bowl Soap, Shaving Brush Soap, Gift for Men, Essential Oil Scent - Etsy - https://www.etsy.com/listing/571265020/glycerin-shaving-soap-lathering-shave?ref=yr_purchases&variation0=762046690 .

PRICE: Quite competitive. A puck goes for $7.95 for a 3-ounce puck, excluding shipping. $7.95 / 3.0 oz = $2.65 per ounce, which is competitive with quite a few mass-marketed shaving soaps and within my “No-More-Than-$3.00-per-Ounce” criteria (Because, at the end of the day, it is still just soap and if it costs more than $3.00 per ounce, it had better be some really awesome soap.).

ORDERING PROCESS: Easy. Ordered off of the Em’s Pace store front on Etsy. Simple and straightforward.

SERVICE AND SHIPPING: Very good. If you live in Hawaii, shipping cost is a big issue. Em’s Place used USPS, which is usually the most economical means for us. I received the soap and shave stand prongs 2-days after ordering them. That, fellow shavers, is amazingly quick.

THE SOAP: Very good.

APPEARANCE: The Bay Rum shaving soap is a clear, amber, glycerin soap in a 3-ounce hard puck. It came wrapped in a clear cellophane wrapper with a simple label listing the ingredients – just like in the websites’ pictures. I was not sure about clear shaving soap performance but see below. It fit nicely into my old Burma Shave mug with only a little trimming of the edges, the clippings of which I mashed in the bottom of the mug to help anchor the puck.

SCENT: Subtle take on Bay Rum. I like Bay Rum, but Bay Rum is like a Gumbo: there are many variations – some variations are outstanding, and some variations miss the mark. Right out of the wrapper and dry, Em’s Place Bay Rum smelled somewhat medicinal. However, add water and the more subtle scents emerge for a nice take on the Bay Rum scent. Also, the scent is subtle; it will not drive you out of the bathroom gagging, coughing and gasping for air.

If Bay Rum is not your scent, Em’s Place has 8 other scents available (With good descriptions of the scents to lessen the guesswork. See Essential Oil Blends - https://emsplace.com/essential-oil-scent-blends/ and Glycerin Shaving Soap, Lathering Shave Soap, Mug Soap, Glyerin Soap Round, Bowl Soap, Shaving Brush Soap, Gift for Men, Essential Oil Scent - Etsy - https://www.etsy.com/listing/571265020/glycerin-shaving-soap-lathering-shave?ref=yr_purchases&variation0=762046690 .) and an Unscented version. Surely there is something there you would like.

PERFORMANCE: Really good.

THE TOOLS: Rockwell 6S razor with the #3-plate; Astra blades; Omega boar’s hair brush (pig good); collapsible, silicon, slow-feed dog bowl (Don’t laugh. These are cheap and make a great unbreakable, collapsible and travel-friendly shaving bowl.); and 1-day’s stubble.

LATHERING: I was a little skeptical on how well a clear glycerin soap would lather. I have been disappointed in the past with other artisan soaps but thought I would give Em's Place soap a spin. First try was a face-lather. Wow! This soap quickly built up a nice, thick lather. Second try was bowl lathering. Same “Wow!” It lathers very easily and makes a nice lather. I do not need to load up as much soap onto the brush to get this lather as I have had to do with other soaps, which should help with soap longevity.

SLICKNESS: Very slick with no razor pull. Residual slickness was good enough for touch-ups without having to re-lather.

CUSHIONING: Cushions very well. No razor burn.

POST-SHAVE FEEL: Very nice. Once finished shaving, the soap rinsed off cleanly with no residual oil slick or sticky feeling.

ORDER AGAIN: Oh, yeah. The service was excellent, soap is competitively priced, and the soap performed very well. I need to see about the longevity of the puck but, unless it disappears in a month, I will definitely order again. This may become my new go-to soap.

RECOMMENDATION: I recommend giving Em’s Place shaving soaps a try. The Bay Rum is a very nice soap that is competitively priced, smells good, and is made by a small-business manufacturer in the USA who does quick shipping. If it works for you, great. If it does not work for you, you did not break the bank experimenting with the soap, and you can always finish out the puck as a bath or hand soap while continuing your quest for that perfect wave.

DISCLAIMER: As always, your mileage may vary (YMMV).

still enjoying my Em's badger brush...

cade l'occitane joris ems baux january 21 2015.jpg

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Em’s Place is a great vendor (Emily I believe). One of the gew places that you can find Golddachs.

Great to see Em's Place getting some love here! Since my earlier post, I did get the scent samples and a Woodstock soap, which I've been finishing for a month (using the bits left in a lather mug) because I have less face to shave with my beard. But I bought two soaps, as shipping is the same is one, and when I finally kill this one I'll use the old standby bay rum puck. These pucks last forever. Even with no beard I would get 7-8 months out of a puck.

Top Bottom