What's new

Employer took photocopy of my ID and SS card; did I get hired?

The main reason they ask for ID and Social Security card is to make sure folks are eligible to work in the US.

I can't imagine that there are a lot of credit checks, background checks, and social media checks going on for fast food workers, or any minimum wage jobs for that matter.

The main reason they ask for ID and Social Security card is to make sure folks are eligible to work in the US.

I can't imagine that there are a lot of credit checks, background checks, and social media checks going on for fast food workers, or any minimum wage jobs for that matter.

Fast food might be an exception. I don't work in it and don't know anyone who does. However, for a lot of lower-paid jobs, this stuff is mandatory now because management sees the "kind of people" who would take a minimum wage job as likely to be trouble. They want to know if the person is likely to miss shifts because they're in lockup for brawling, if they use drugs recreationally that might have an affect on showing up sober, if the person has a history of cutting and running when something goes wrong, etc. I've seen these checks happen for myself and my friends more for lower end jobs than for middle-management and higher jobs.

Seems like a lot of wasted time and expense for employees that are easily replaceable.

Of course, my viewpoint might be skewed, because when I started working, they didn't have a Department of Homeland Security, or social media, or an overwhelming influx of immigrant labor.

They see me trollin'.... they hatin'. Stop trolling, man! Nobody believes a word of the corporate verbiage that you're spewing. But thanks for the advice anyways, Donald Trump.

Although the debit cards have about taken over, there is still a lot of cash in a fast food cash register. And a background check is only $20. The one I had to deliver to a security office (1) for a sight I worked at had an astonishing amount of detail, except I'm such a boring guy it was completely uninteresting.

(1) Yeah, the knuckleheads let me give them my own background check. God alone knows what I could have hidden had they known I understood how to use Microsoft Word, eh? I could secretly be an ax murderer and get away with it on paper.

I have found that both my last place of employment and my current are requiring a passport, or a driver's license with a birth certificate, based on government regulations. This was after I had been offered a contract iirc.

Recognize this is a three year old thread, but you would have a possible lawsuit if not hired. Collecting your license without an official offer would mean they obtained your age during an interview. That's not allowed to be asked. I would think that it was almost certain they know this and fully intend to offer you employment. Now if you were disqualified after the offer due to criminal history or something else it would be irrelevant. But it is actually illegal for an employer to ask your age during an interview. They also cannot ask if you're married, have children, sexual preference, etc. Circumventing this by asking for your license without offering employment later (with that being the sole interaction and not being disqualified for criminal history, etc) could be grounds for a lawsuit. Also, most states or many of them do not allow pulling of a credit report unless your job specifically involves handling money, and many of those laws make it specific as to the amount or manner, etc.

That was a brief fad that faded once they were threatened with lawsuits. Same reason, it contained information they weren't, by law, allowed to obtain during the interview stage.

Prior to hiring, they are not allowed to ask about your citizenship status. They can ask you if you are legally allowed to work in the US but no real specifics. That is part of the I9 process after you receive your tentative hiring offer. All hiring these days is tentative because of I9.
I believe asking for your SS card prior to hiring is a violation.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
He told me that he would recommend me for the management position when he got the chance to speak to Ron on Saturday, who is the GM. ... Well, today is Saturday. ... Hopefully, I get the 'good news' on Monday or Tuesday.

Well, it's Tuesday.

How'd ya do?

If you've heard nothing, perhaps now is a good time for a polite follow-up ... more of a "thanks for the interview" rather than "hey, am I hired yet?" sort of thing. That just shows your courtesy, and keeps you top-of-mind.

Well, it's Tuesday.

How'd ya do?

If you've heard nothing, perhaps now is a good time for a polite follow-up ... more of a "thanks for the interview" rather than "hey, am I hired yet?" sort of thing. That just shows your courtesy, and keeps you top-of-mind.

This made me laugh. The OP was 2015, I sure hope he checked back before today!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
This made me laugh. The OP was 2015, I sure hope he checked back before today!

If he hasn't been hired yet ... he should probably give it another few days and call them.

Haven't been able to use this in a while...

upload_2019-1-8_12-57-48.jpeg

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
:a14:

Although not explicitly able to ask for your age....many applications ask for your birthday. Also, IIRC, Illinois drivers license numbers used to have your year of birth in the DL number, it was like split between the first or second dash line. And many applications I filled out asked for your DL number. If a potential employer wants to find out your age it’s very easy to do. At least a rough estimate which would be pretty accurate based on dates of your HS or college graduation and recent jobs. Plus a lot of apps ask if you are at least 18.

Hi, I just recently had something similar happen to me... I applied at a restaurant a few days later I got called in for an interview... the interview seemed like it was going well, the lady who interviewed me asked for my id and my social security card, I ran out to my car and got them, gave her both of the cards she took them to the back made copies and brought them back. I certainly thought I was hired! Remind you I have a clean back ground... she said we’ll call you in a couple days... I haven’t received a call and it’s been almost 3 months now. I called her & she said that she doesn’t know what happened the person who was supposed to quit “hasn’t left yet” she said that was his last week & when he leaves she’ll be giving me a call that was 2 1/2 months ago... now I’m kind of getting fed up because why did you take my information but didn’t hire me? I texted her and no replies back... I really hope no one is using my identity.
Recognize this is a three year old thread, but you would have a possible lawsuit if not hired. Collecting your license without an official offer would mean they obtained your age during an interview. That's not allowed to be asked. I would think that it was almost certain they know this and fully intend to offer you employment. Now if you were disqualified after the offer due to criminal history or something else it would be irrelevant. But it is actually illegal for an employer to ask your age during an interview. They also cannot ask if you're married, have children, sexual preference, etc. Circumventing this by asking for your license without offering employment later (with that being the sole interaction and not being disqualified for criminal history, etc) could be grounds for a lawsuit. Also, most states or many of them do not allow pulling of a credit report unless your job specifically involves handling money, and many of those laws make it specific as to the amount or manner, etc.
s

I cannot believe no one has mentioned this, but next time, if I may make a suggestion, do not give them any of these important documents, let alone photocopy them, unless they have offered you employment. A potential employer has no business looking at your drivers license or social security card.

Good luck with the job. I am sure you will get it. And thank you for your service.

Yes, that's really an abuse of the Social Security card, which was never intended as an ID card in the first place. It's also potentially a doorway to identity theft.

Top Bottom