What's new

Emergency!

Tornado season is upon us! And as usual, every year we go thru our emergency plan as family but...for some reason I never considered my shaving needs before, but this year I got thinking: there is no reason to not look my best even in the midst of adversity so...how would I prepare or what items should I keep in my emergency kit to accommodate to be clean shaven in an emergency?

As family we always have emergency back packs in our family car with essentials, water and food for 3 days in case we have to "flee" in a hurry, but I have to think what to pack in regards of shaving, which is sort of a dilemma because is not like a traveling kit...why you may ask?...what if everything gets destroyed and all I am left with is my emergency shaving? should I pack my favorite razor? Or should I go with something practical? Soap or cream? What Brush? And what if nothing happens? I certainly don't wanna keep my most enjoyable items tucked away "just in case".

My mission these next few days is assemble an emergency shaving kit.

Do you guys have your emergency needs taken care of? What are you doing in case a sudden disaster strikes?

Curious to see what you guys come up with!

I have a fully stocked dop/toiletry kit put together that I can easily a quickly grab incase of an Emergency.
It has just about everything a person would need to maintain hygiene. Here's what's inside.
- late 40's Gillette Aristocrat DE razor
- 20 DE blades and a used blade bank
- tub of my favorite homemade shaving soap
- a collapsible silicone lather bowl
- a bottle of my favorite Stetson Cooling Moisture aftershave
- 20mm a pure badger shaving brush
- a clear acrylic brush/razor stand
- a toothbrush
- two tubes of travel size toothpaste
- a travel size bottle of mouthwash
- dental floss
- a bar of my homemade bath soap
- compacted mirror
- tweezers
- nail clippers
- cortisone
- triple antibiotic ointment
- antacids
- q-tips
- benadryl (you never know)
- Ibuprofen
- sun block
- some band aids
- small sewing kit
- hand lotion
- hand sanitizer
- hair/beard brush
- potassium alum deodorant block
- small piece of beeswax for temporary tooth filling (yes, I've had to use it before after a filling cracked and part pulled out) worked until I could see a dentist.
Here's a picture of the bag. The razor is for size reference.
20200509_210028.jpg

Last edited:

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Typhoon s and earthquakes are our biggest concern here in the Philippines. Due to the type of work I'm in that can require overseas travel at a moment's notice, I keep my luggage (both carry-on and checked) always packed and ready to go.

The shaving gear I keep packed is not my best but stuff that I wouldn't mind, to much, loosing like:
  • Disposable cart or $2 Chinese generic shavette with spare blade.
  • $2 Chinese pure synthetic genuine badger hair brush.
  • 1/4 tube of $3 Sanofi shave cream.

Last edited:
We live on the on the West Coast ‘Ring of Fire.’

My emergency Dopp kit includes shaving stuff that I hope never to use!

Before I retired I traveled extensively. I always had a large Tumi bag packed with all the essentials. I still have the same bag. I have a travel razor (Red Tip), brush (Muhle syn), blades, soap, face soap, etc.

You really need to define your expectations.
Do you need a BBS shave, or just something simple and effective?
Short term, or long term?
How much extra capacity do you have for what you bring?

Short term, I have gotten by with a bar of soap and a cartridge or disposable razor, along with water and a small towel, of course. The shave isn't BBS, but the only dedicated shaving equipment is the razor.

Longer term, would you be able to source blades, or do you need to bring a supply?
Maybe a straight razor would last longer, but would you bring a hone, or just a strop?
On the other hand, a Rolls Razor is self contained and might be worth considering.

All in all, I think a user grade Tech and a tuck of blades can go a long way in an emergency.

You really need to define your expectations.
Do you need a BBS shave, or just something simple and effective?
Short term, or long term?
How much extra capacity do you have for what you bring?

Short term, I have gotten by with a bar of soap and a cartridge or disposable razor, along with water and a small towel, of course. The shave isn't BBS, but the only dedicated shaving equipment is the razor.

Longer term, would you be able to source blades, or do you need to bring a supply?
Maybe a straight razor would last longer, but would you bring a hone, or just a strop?
On the other hand, a Rolls Razor is self contained and might be worth considering.

All in all, I think a user grade Tech and a tuck of blades can go a long way in an emergency.

Yes, I definitely don't want to overthink it, but I don't want to sacrifice having a good shaving experience, it is obvious that there are more important things to worry during hardships for example the well being of my family would be #1.

That said I most likely would go with a tech or my VDH butterfly, arko stick, synthetic brush, and small bottle of aftershave balm...simple...yet effective.

Emergency: one of my Schick injectors (L is most rugged), one full (20 blades) Personna cartridge, tube of Barbasol Sensitive brushless/latherless shave cream, shave stick, rugged boar brush probably my Vulfix 6. I could shave for a year if I had to. Quick shaves (the injector) with very little water, if it was in short supply (the Barbasol). Very compact.

Long term in the camps: RazoRock Eco, 500 saloon blades, dozen sticks of Arko, Omega 10098. I could either shave for a decade or set up a barter barbershop, trade shaves for necessities and niceties.

We live on the on the West Coast ‘Ring of Fire.’

My emergency Dopp kit includes shaving stuff that I hope never to use!
I'm just up the road a piece (in Vancouver, B.C.), so we've also got an earthquake kit. It's basically a Rubbermaid Action Packer partially buried behind the greenhouse in our backyard.

Other than the usual emergency preparedness supplies, I have a Gillette Mach 3 in there, along with a can of Edge Gel, and a puck of Williams (can be used for shaving or bathing). Like you, I'm hoping that I'll never need them.

The thought for an emergency kit never crossed my mind, but now I'm going to pack one. The biggest threat we have where I am is snow (Syracuse, where we are constantly in running for the golden snowball). In those situations, we just have to stay home. So emergencies like leaving are unlikely. Still, I just bought a Weishi and a omega boar brush for $6 a piece on closeout. I think I'll put those in a bag and set them aside for any emergency that may arise.

I'd like to toss out a thought. Along with the razor, blades, and whatever soap, I'll suggest the strongest alcohol content aftershave. It can pull double duty as disinfectant if it's strong enough.

Good idea(s). Living in North Texas, tornadoes are part of our spring weather. I would take all hygiene and medications, along with a 1911-A .45 with several ammo clips.

Good idea(s). Living in North Texas, tornadoes are part of our spring weather. I would take all hygiene and medications, along with a 1911-A .45 with several ammo clips.

Not sure how you would shave with it :lol: but if I lived in Texas I would do the same thing!

So, to fully understand...If, God forbid, your house is torn down by a tornado...your concern is "to be clean shaved"?
I was sort of thinking the same thing...I think in an emergency I might be fine with going unshaven for a couple of days.
Well, when you put it that way doesn't sound very sane.

I stated in another comment that my primary concern would be the safety and well being of my family.

As for my house, if we are safe and sound, I don't care what happens to it and everything inside, I am not materialistic.

Once all that is said, after any disaster, life goes on so, having the means to enjoy a nice shave, even though is not priority, would be very nice, and would show my family that we got to face it head on, and being clean shaven is surely a “carpe diem” way to do it!

Top Bottom