What's new

Embrace the Face

What's up Badger and Blade? As my username states - I'm a seasonal shaver, I like to grow my beard in the winter and shave for the summer. I've hated shaving my whole life, but I only knew the cartridge experience. Ingrown hairs and razor burn were just what I thought shaving was about. I'm not exactly sure how, but I stumbled up the idea of shaving with the real deal and was instantly hooked. So, I decided that rather than fight shaving, I would embrace the face! I spent a lot of time lurking here and after reading tons of threads, ordered a handful of different razors to try. I'm a beginner, but my beard is thick and coarse. I only shave once a week generally, so I tried to order a decent swath of forgiving razors that might be able to handle my beard growth. I figure that I can eventually sell the razors I do not want here on Badger and Blade. Perhaps, I'll be able to shave more often without ingrown hairs and irritation once I find the right combination.

My first purchase was a Rockwell 6C, but I sent it back because of a defect in the top cap. I decided to try the 6S instead and received it the other day. Thus, my first ever shave with a DE safety razor was with a Rockwell 6S using a Personna blade. Not great, but better than a cartridge! So much more fun, like using a tool rather than a toy. My Proraso green creme had too much water in it, and I struggled to find the right plate, but it was still a fun experience. My first impression was that the stainless steel on the 6S was "grabby" but that could also be because my lather was on the runny side.

I've got a few other razors on the way to try. My next shave will be with an Alpha Outlaw Mild. I've also got the Game Changer .68 (SB) and .84 (SB) on the way as well as a Parker Variant. I don't need necessarily want an aggressive razor, but I definitely need it to be efficient because of my thick coarse beard. I don't intend to keep all of them, but I've also heard of a strange affliction called "RAD". I'm also a musician and I understand "RAD" may be related to something we call "GAS" (guitar acquisition syndrome).

in search of efficiency without aggression (at least I think that's what I want), I've also got a sample pack of blades to try. I've got Astra SP, Feather, Nacet, 7 O'clock green, and Derby Extra. Think I'll try the Astra SP in the Alpha Outlaw mild for my next shave.

I look forward to many interesting discussions in the future!

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Welcome! Sounds like you are off to a great start! Enjoy your shaves. You already have a nice arsenal of razors.

Welcome! As @Chef455 said, you've got some great equipment. My whiskers are thick, but my skin is definitely not sensitive, so a decent, yet mild razor has always done the trick for me. Right now my razor is a British Gillette Rocket HD. Mild, yet efficient. It's 10 hours post shave and I'm just starting to feel the stubble.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
@The Seasonal Shaver you are a braver man than I, shaving with a razor where you cannot see that edge on your face. I went from carts to straight razor shaving for that very reason.

Welcome to B&B from Cebu, Philippines.

Enjoy the learning process. And if I might be so bold as to suggest... try adding a vintage or 2 to your trials. For your extra growth of occasional shaving, perhaps a Gillette open comb version? Good luck and happy shaves.

Welcome to B&B. I would suggest shaving with just one razor for a while, on the same setting if it's an adjustable. That way you can concentrate on technique, rather than wondering whether a better/worse shave is due to the razor.
That will also give you trying out your other razors as something to look forward to.

Welcome to B&B. I would suggest shaving with just one razor for a while, on the same setting if it's an adjustable. That way you can concentrate on technique, rather than wondering whether a better/worse shave is due to the razor.
That will also give you trying out your other razors as something to look forward to.

Great idea. I wasn't thrilled with the 6S - the matte finish felt rough and it was clear that the 3 plate was not enough. If I'm going to stick with one razor, perhaps I'll try the Parker Variant, I think it has a smoother cap.

These are vintage only right? Where can I find one? Are they affordable? I don't even remember my login for eBay. :)
Ebay, buy sell trade on this forum. Flea markets. Flea markets seem to be the cheapest I have found them, although toakes more time and effort to find what you want. Fine specimens bring a pretty penny but user condition, which can still be quite good shape, are not bad at all. I have bought several techs for less than $5 a piece.

I have a New Long Comb that I quite like and the Old Type Short Comb is good for me with a shim. I like the fat handle techs, but for me they are so mild you almost have to shave every day. Of course everyone has there own opinion and different experience.

While I’m still learning and definitely not an expert, but I’ve found it to be super super important to only very lightly touch the razor/blade to my face. I’m so close to get a consistent irritation free shave.

Welcome to the forum! I started with a Rockwell 65 too. There is a learning curve. Unfortunately shaving just once a week is going to slow down your learning curve. My recommendation is start out on plate R2 to start building muscle memory and it will be more forgiving on your face. As your technique improves go to higher number plates. If you have a setback you can always go with a lower number plate. Another thing that you can try is using plate R4 for the first pass then flip it over and use the R2 for subsequent passes. As to lather, there is a learning curve for that as well. I would recommend one of many fine shaving sticks like Arko, Tabac, Speick, or La Toja. They are all reasonably priced. For me it is a lot easier to use a shave stick and the lather is top quality. You can find videos on YouTube to show you how to use a shave stick. Good luck with your shaving journey!

Welcome to the forum! I started with a Rockwell 65 too. There is a learning curve. Unfortunately shaving just once a week is going to slow down your learning curve. My recommendation is start out on plate R2 to start building muscle memory and it will be more forgiving on your face. As your technique improves go to higher number plates. If you have a setback you can always go with a lower number plate. Another thing that you can try is using plate R4 for the first pass then flip it over and use the R2 for subsequent passes. As to lather, there is a learning curve for that as well. I would recommend one of many fine shaving sticks like Arko, Tabac, Speick, or La Toja. They are all reasonably priced. For me it is a lot easier to use a shave stick and the lather is top quality. You can find videos on YouTube to show you how to use a shave stick. Good luck with your shaving journey!
I too was thinking mild razor and shave more often. Do not try for BBS. Start out with 1 pass with the grain. I know it will not be the best shave ever, but it will be better than day 4 of shaving once a week lol. Anyway, 1 pass WTG, every day or every other. Resist the urge to buff and inspect. Just get the 1 pass in and quit. I am guessing after a week or 2 you will find that you are getting some pretty deccent shaves with little to no irritation. Then you can try adding a second pass, or at least some touch ups in the problem areas. Try that for a while and see if the irritation comes back. If it does, just go back to 1 pass and enjoy the shave. It does not have to be BBS to be enjoyable and lots of us cannot chase BBS regularly without fighting irritation.

Just general thoughts in my head for consideration. You do you and find what your face likes. As to the "sticky cap" issue, are you riding the cap hard? Perhaps roll the angle a bit more toward the guard and ZERO pressure.

1 more thing, when I was fighting irritation, I used only witch hazel and nivea sensitive balm after my shaves. No aftershaves with perfumes and alcohol. It helped me until I found a way to shave my face without making it red and angry for 3 or 4 days at a time.

I too was thinking mild razor and shave more often. Do not try for BBS. Start out with 1 pass with the grain. I know it will not be the best shave ever, but it will be better than day 4 of shaving once a week lol. Anyway, 1 pass WTG, every day or every other. Resist the urge to buff and inspect. Just get the 1 pass in and quit. I am guessing after a week or 2 you will find that you are getting some pretty deccent shaves with little to no irritation. Then you can try adding a second pass, or at least some touch ups in the problem areas. Try that for a while and see if the irritation comes back. If it does, just go back to 1 pass and enjoy the shave. It does not have to be BBS to be enjoyable and lots of us cannot chase BBS regularly without fighting irritation.

Just general thoughts in my head for consideration. You do you and find what your face likes. As to the "sticky cap" issue, are you riding the cap hard? Perhaps roll the angle a bit more toward the guard and ZERO pressure.

1 more thing, when I was fighting irritation, I used only witch hazel and nivea sensitive balm after my shaves. No aftershaves with perfumes and alcohol. It helped me until I found a way to shave my face without making it red and angry for 3 or 4 days at a time.

I really appreciate this advice! The one product I have carried over from my cartridge experience was in fact Nivea sensitive balm aftershave. Good stuff! Witch hazel is not something I am familiar with and will have to investigate. Any recommendations?

Top Bottom