What's new

Embrace the Face

I really appreciate this advice! The one product I have carried over from my cartridge experience was in fact Nivea sensitive balm aftershave. Good stuff! Witch hazel is not something I am familiar with and will have to investigate. Any recommendations?
I like to use Lucky Tiger face tonic. It has Witch Hazel along with Aloe and Chamomile. Thayers Witch Hazel is very popular but I haven't used it.

Ingredients: Purified Water (Aqua), Polysorbate 20, Hamamelis Virginiana (Witch Hazel) Distillate, Glycerin, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract*, Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract*, Borago Officinalis (Borage) Seed Oil, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract*, Sodium Hydroxide, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E Acetate), Retinyl Palmitate (Vitamin A Palmitate), Trisodium EDTA, Methylparaben, Sodium Benzoate, Fragrance (Citrus Essential Oils). *Certified Organic

Lucky Tiger.JPG

I really appreciate this advice! The one product I have carried over from my cartridge experience was in fact Nivea sensitive balm aftershave. Good stuff! Witch hazel is not something I am familiar with and will have to investigate. Any recommendations?
I have little expereince with it. I think the people on here use Thayers witch hazel. I bouhgt a bottle of equate brand witch hazel. Comes in a bottle like rubbing alcohol. The thing about it is that it is actually like 14% alcohol. It was still low enough content with no perfumes or what not...that it worked for me. It is an astringent like alcohol only more gentle to the face. I think it feels nice and smooth/soft afterwords.

I like to use Lucky Tiger face tonic. It has With Hazel along with Aloe and Chamomile. Thayers Witch Hazel is very popular but I haven't used it.

Ingredients: Purified Water (Aqua), Polysorbate 20, Hamamelis Virginiana (Witch Hazel) Distillate, Glycerin, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract*, Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract*, Borago Officinalis (Borage) Seed Oil, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract*, Sodium Hydroxide, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E Acetate), Retinyl Palmitate (Vitamin A Palmitate), Trisodium EDTA, Methylparaben, Sodium Benzoate, Fragrance (Citrus Essential Oils). *Certified Organic

View attachment 1227820
I may have to get some of that. I have always wanted to try lucky tiger. I think because of there slogan LOL

" Lucky Tiger got your grandfather lucky, it got your father lucky, and it will get you lucky, too. "

This is my latest lineup for pre and post shave. With this COVID-19 lockdown, I stopped bothering with scents and concentrated on face and skin health.
7062441E-B464-4755-AC23-AFECE623374E.jpeg

I’ve also been using a scent free Shave soap that has only six ingredients.

Welp, that didn't go well! Rather than taking the wise advice of the folks here, I decided to do my second shave with the Alpha Outlaw Mild. I was just too excited and wanted to try it, and hey it's called a "mild" razor. I used the same Personna blade from my previous shave and definitely had a creamier lather this time around. Unfortunately, I really chewed my face up. Not so much bleeding and cuts, but just terrible irritation, especially on my neck and jawline. My alum block REALLY let me know it was a lousy shave. There is a lot more blade feel on that Outlaw than there is in on the Rockwell 6S (even on a higher plate). I'm fortunate that I can afford to pick up a few different razors, but it's clear I need to stick with ONE razor and work my technique. Should I stick with the 6S? (perhaps on like plate 4?) Or maybe the Gamechanger .68p? (I understand this is a mild razor). I'm pretty sure that Outlaw mild, isn't very mild. It's also clear that blades make a big difference. I'm not sure the Personna's are my jam. My beard hairs do no cut easily - it's coarse and thick, is sharper better for less irritation? Even if there is more risk of cuts? I've certainly got a few days to figure it out as my poor face heals. :eek:

Welcome! I think sticking with a mild razor for at least a month to let yourself focus on learning proper technique is a good idea. The Rockwell on plate 3, no more than plate 4, is a good starting place. Stick with it, it gets to be a most enjoyable part of the day.

Update: It took me a few shaves to come to terms with something that felt very counter-intuitive to me. Many of you said it here, but I still had a hard time believing it. Despite "sensitive" skin, the thickness of my beard requires an open comb. My best shave yet was with my new-to-me Timeless .68 OC. The combination of an open comb with a Nacet blade made all the difference in the world. Two passes and clean-up and I had a DFS with minimal irritation. Now, I was shaving off 11 days of growth (I know), but that was hands down my best shave yet, and I was left with another counter-intuitive thought "I need an efficient razor." Could this be true? Less passes = less irritation, right? Wouldn't I want my first pass to be super-efficient? Or maybe aggressive? what's the difference? I know the timeless .68 is still a relatively mild razor, and I was wanting an even closer shave on that first pass. This all goes against what I believed, I needed in a razor. I wonder if the .95 open comb wouldn't have been an even better choice? Efficiency without aggression, that sounds good (is that thing??) Fortunately, I have a .84 Game Changer OC on the way to try. I've read all good things about that razor. That might be perfect for tackling 7-10 days of growth. I don't typically want to go that long, but sometimes it happens.

With my skin and beard, I'm not ever going to be a "daily driver" but I'd like to make the commute more than once a week. It seems that perhaps sharper blades and an efficient razor are the way to go. More experimenting to come!

Top Bottom