What's new

Elon's STARLINK!

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Ok, astronomers hate this* ... But I just saw it for the first time and it was mind-blowing!

Elon Musk has this project to bring internet to the developing world, called Starlink.

It's a series of satellites, this last series has about 30.

Use this, and see a string of 30 satellites go over your head! Some were doubles; in many years of skywatching, I've just never seen anything like this.

AA

*It wrecks science experiments and ruins photos. But see Starlink for youself!

Last edited:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Crickets, eh?

How about, "You would have SWORN a flight of 30 UFOs were passing right overhead!"

Some people nearby were fishing, lingering sunset-watchers. They all started yelling, and wow-ing ...

The site indicates a pass tonight; I've already set my watch.

AA

I was in Melbourne, Fl in Feb, and got to watch a launch of one of them. It was fantastic in person! You see it on video, and its... well... cool. But being there is a whole different ballgame. I was fascinated by how bright the flames were watching it in front of me vs seeing it in video.

Thanks for posting the website. Very cool that we can see them in the sky!

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I was in Melbourne, Fl in Feb, and got to watch a launch of one of them. It was fantastic in person! You see it on video, and its... well... cool. But being there is a whole different ballgame. I was fascinated by how bright the flames were watching it in front of me vs seeing it in video.

Thanks for posting the website. Very cool that we can see them in the sky!

It is/they are!

I was present for the Boeing Starliner launch last December; it is a flat-out unbelievable experience to see a booster stage and go into orbit!

Well. Or fail to go into orbit, but that happened over Africa.

AA

The launch I saw, the first stage was supposed to land on a barge out in the Atlantic, but it missed by about 20 feet... oops! NASA said "We think we may be able to retrieve that and use it again, but you never know."

Ad Astra

The Instigator
The launch I saw, the first stage was supposed to land on a barge out in the Atlantic, but it missed by about 20 feet... oops! NASA said "We think we may be able to retrieve that and use it again, but you never know."

Yeah, Elon's getting better at that.

When the two boosters came down and landed on the pad side-by-side, it was straight out of science fiction!

So was the Tesla Roadster in space launch, come to think of it.

Despite this, I'm not a fan of the guy, just a space enthusiast.

But private industry can do what gummint can't: make something doable affordable.

I'm tempted to get a camera/tripod out for tonight's Starlink train pass ...

AA

Reactions: Avi

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Ok, missed seeing the satellite train last night.

They are a moving target for the predictors: i.e. Elon moves them!

Recommend Heavens-Above website or software, and one called Predi-Sat.

AA

Thanks for sharing, during normal times the wife and I camp at Pomme de Terre lake and we spend most nights there enjoying cocktails while watching satellites pass overhead. On a good night we have counted over twenty in a sitting.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Thanks for sharing, during normal times the wife and I camp at Pomme de Terre lake and we spend most nights there enjoying cocktails while watching satellites pass overhead. On a good night we have counted over twenty in a sitting.

Now imagine thirty in a row! Blew me away. Mostly evenly spaced, but a few were buddies, flying side by side.

I have a set of Oberwerk "satellite spotter" 9x60mm binocs, perfect for the sport.

Once you see the ISS a few times, you're bitten by the bug. There's a lot to see after dark.

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Ok, Space-X launched another Falcon-9 last night, with 60 Starlinks aboard.

Check Heavens-Above to see if the satellite train is passing over your head tonight.

It'll be cloudy here, but I've got to try; its just an amazing sight!

proxy.php

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Saw the train! Freaking amazing! Just a stream of satellites! Used 9x60mm Oberwerks

AA

I watched Neowise a couple evenings ago from the dock. I'm way out in the country so no light pollution. 11:00PM and it was clear as a bell with a very looooong tail. I'm in the upper midwest US near the Canadian / US border. Neowise at 11:00 was quite low on the horizon so you need to be somewhere flat with no trees or buildings. It was in the NW sky, below and a touch east of the big dipper.

I watched Neowise a couple evenings ago from the dock. I'm way out in the country so no light pollution. 11:00PM and it was clear as a bell with a very looooong tail. I'm in the upper midwest US near the Canadian / US border. Neowise at 11:00 was quite low on the horizon so you need to be somewhere flat with no trees or buildings. It was in the NW sky, below and a touch east of the big dipper.
Im using the Night Sky app and looked right where it’s supposed to be and just a bright star with no tail.

Im using the Night Sky app and looked right where it’s supposed to be and just a bright star with no tail.
Tried again and still no joy. Now clouds have moved in from the west and are covering where it should be. I guess I’m only supposed to enjoy the photos of others.

Top Bottom