What's new

Ellipticot method

Was just browsing on Coticule.be and came across a method used by emmanuel, a contributor on the forum. Seems to use heavy slurry with circles with very little dissolution and finishing on fairly heavy slurry. There's a video of him doing his method for about 5 minutes and then getting very good HHT at the end even before stropping

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

Was just browsing on Coticule.be and came across a method used by emmanuel, a contributor on the forum. Seems to use heavy slurry with circles with very little dissolution and finishing on fairly heavy slurry. There's a video of him doing his method for about 5 minutes and then getting very good HHT at the end even before stropping

Another method with which to experiment. I guess it might differ by stone?

There's an interesting Dr Matt video where he found issues under magnification using circles.

Another method with which to experiment. I guess it might differ by stone?

There's an interesting Dr Matt video where he found issues under magnification using circles.

Saw that video too. Dr Matt hypothesized that certain coticules may have garnets sticking way above the surface of the stone that can gouge the edge along the length of the blade when doing circles. His solution for those problematic stones is avoid circles and just do simple x-strokes under running water.

Saw that video too. Dr Matt hypothesized that certain coticules may have garnets sticking way above the surface of the stone that can gouge the edge along the length of the blade when doing circles. His solution for those problematic stones is avoid circles and just do simple x-strokes under running water.
What I wonder is how he laps his coticule. Henk Bos warns against using diamond plates to lap coticules because it shreds the garnets. This would cause a problem because Dr Matt doesn't use slurry which can help polish the garnets afterwards.

Thinking out loud - the method here uses a heavy slurry, which could make the circles more consistent and prevent the problems in Dr Matt's water only method.

What I wonder is how he laps his coticule. Henk Bos warns against using diamond plates to lap coticules because it shreds the garnets. This would cause a problem because Dr Matt doesn't use slurry which can help polish the garnets afterwards.

Thinking out loud - the method here uses a heavy slurry, which could make the circles more consistent and prevent the problems in Dr Matt's water only method.

I don't think Dr Matt has ever shown how he laps his coticule. I've seen him use a diamond plate on his synthetics though. I'm not a fan of heavy slurry, but I guess the only way to find out if the method works is to go ahead and try.

I was just curious. Did my first successful dilucot last night. Just getting back into SRs but even back in the day I would always add some tape and finish that way.

I haven't shaved with the razor, but the HHT test seems promising which in my experience usually means a good shave too.

When I use dilucot I do tend to use Emanuel style I quite like it he starts with milky slurry and circles diluting then towards the end he calls it micro diluting he actually finished the razor on a very must slurry. I have shaved with a ti razor that he honed for me. I can tell you now I was more than happy with the shave very keen and smooth and the hht was amazing as was the shave. He uses a la veinette. He also had a la Pattie Blanche which he used with that same method and he told me the lpb just was not successful with that same method. I tend to finish with water . I like the circles better than half strokes I felt I was more in control even still I finished with traditional x strokes

Top Bottom