What's new

Elliot's Journal

Shave #19: finding more success.

Razor: Geencult, Lvl 2 plate
Blade: Astra SP
Brush: Rudy Vey 2020 Contributors (Shavemac 2-band)
Pre: PAA The Tube 2.0 + Crown Shaving Co.
Soap: Truefitt & Hill 1805
After: Lucky Tiger

This shave was about growth for me. My last few shaves (maybe 4-5?) have all been pretty successful. This leads me to believe that it couldn't just be that I am consistently using razors that are better for me, but rather that my comfort and technique are growing. Yes, I have gotten some nice pieces lately, so it's not a zero factor... I just don't think it's the biggest.

That said, I like the Greencult. It's got some heft, which certainly explains why @Phoenixkh subbed the Timeless Crown in. Well, and surely because it's bloody gorgeous. Not sure I will go that route yet, but it's a consideration. I don't find weight to be something I care much about.

The Lvl 1 plate may never end up seeing use and instead being given away, as the Lvl 2 was not an issue. There does seem to be a little more warmth on the face and neck, so perhaps a slight amount of irritation, but not enough to make me think the Lvl 2 is too much for my face to bear. And the results: BBS. Really lovely from an efficiency standpoint.

I have eyed the Rocnel and Blutt, also as a result of @Phoenixkh, but I wonder.... with the Wolfman and Blackbird here as "trophy" razors, the Athena near completion, the Overlander here for "no sh*its given" shaves... AND the Greencult.... is there a point in more DE razors? This doesn't even account for La Faulx in bronze on order and the Vector Ti, both of which are A+ razors for me. I have only had one shave with the ATT X1 Slant, so there's more to do, but I am already beginning to wonder about its long-term place considering the two AC razors just mentioned. I imagine I will enjoy having a nice sized rotation, but I don't want 10 regular-use pieces. I reckon I will find myself longing for one that is still 3-4 shaves away in that instance. AT MOST, I shave every other day. Often times, every three days. I can't imagine, at this point at least, taking 2-3 weeks away from La Faulx once it arrives.

Skipping the brush because, ya know, Rudy gonna Rudy... I think Grooming Dept. does indeed have an edge over Crown Shaving Co. for favorite pre-shave product to pair with The Tube, as postulated in my previous shave. I still have some stuff here and will use a fair amount, but some may make it into my next PIF. Don't get it twisted, Crown Shaving Co.'s pre-shave product is an A and will remain. Grooming Dept. is just an A+.

The splash is the sort of not fancy thing that I still find myself really enjoying. The citrus is lovely and I imagine it will remain, even if not as exciting as something from SV or Crown.

The balm is nice, but it does feel a bit like I have moved past it in terms of the other stuff I have simply being at another level. It may also make its way into the next PIF.

Yes, I did skip the soap. Saved it for last. Hot damn it's good. This is my second Truefitt & Hill product, with one other still left to use, and both have been top-tier. This is a brand to stick with, no doubt. Between them, MDC for soaps, SV for a few different things and ABC here and there, I wonder if a lot of the other stuff I have will become minimal over time. Sure, there are standout products like Crown's splash and Grooming Dept. pre shave, but those four brands seem to be in a "do no wrong" category for me. I also have some Ariana & Evans stuff that I enjoy a lot as well... but even that is in a "not these ones" category. Again, simply a matter of A vs. A+++.

As a follow-up, after writing this, I went to the bathroom to take a look at my skin. There is definitely a little irritation on the neck. Again, not enough to think the Lvl 1 is "better" for me, but it does place the Greencult Lvl 2 in the more aggressive end of my razors. Now, I do know some of this could simply be familiarity, but I am working with the data I have. From an efficiency/aggression standpoint, my "keeper" (for now) DE razors rank as follows, from most mild to the other end:

Overlander, Wolfman .95 SB, Greencult Lvl 2, Blackbird Ti. I have used the Wolfman and Overlander only once each and the Blackbird only twice, so this is very early feedback and I imagine Greencult and Blackbird will get more comfortable over time, simply from a reps perspective.

Happy Thursday. Already looking forward to giving the ATT X1 it's second trip around the face in a couple days.

471C6619-FA7E-46AE-BA01-C71100CB5EFB.jpeg

Last edited:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I do know what you mean by "enough is enough", my words, not yours. I have the Blutt BR-1 with two base plates... the 0.86 made the Overlander redundant for me. The 1.20 is perfect for a bit closer shave. I don't have a Vector or a Blackbird and they aren't on my list to buy. I also don't have a La Faulx due to cost. I have 6 top razors along with the ESC Claymore Evolution. The Vector works for you so the Claymore might end up being your redundant razor if you bought one.

I'm going to try to make a list of what you have and what you have coming, really just for me, to see if I'm missing something. I'm talking your top razors, at this point. So in no particular order, I think you have or will have soon:

1. Single edge AC La Faulx
2. Vector
3. Black Bird
4. Green Cult 2.0
5. Athena
6. Wolfman WR2
7. ATT X1 AC Slant
8. Overlander

If they all end up working well for you, you can add more or call that "good enough". That's sort of what I've done at the moment. I'm going to keep an eye out to see what James @ Wolfman does with the AC format, but I'm happy to have 7 razors from which I can choose for every shave (as long as we're in the States). You've assembled that impressive list in quite a short period. I think that's awesome.

I do know what you mean by "enough is enough", my words, not yours. I have the Blutt BR-1 with two base plates... the 0.86 made the Overlander redundant for me. The 1.20 is perfect for a bit closer shave. I don't have a Vector or a Blackbird and they aren't on my list to buy. I also don't have a La Faulx due to cost. I have 6 top razors along with the ESC Claymore Evolution. The Vector works for you so the Claymore might end up being your redundant razor if you bought one.

I'm going to try to make a list of what you have and what you have coming, really just for me, to see if I'm missing something. I'm talking your top razors, at this point. So in no particular order, I think you have or will have soon:

1. Single edge AC La Faulx
2. Vector
3. Black Bird
4. Green Cult 2.0
5. Athena
6. Wolfman WR2
7. ATT X1 AC Slant
8. Overlander

If they all end up working well for you, you can add more or call that "good enough". That's sort of what I've done at the moment. I'm going to keep an eye out to see what James @ Wolfman does with the AC format, but I'm happy to have 7 razors from which I can choose for every shave (as long as we're in the States). You've assembled that impressive list in quite a short period. I think that's awesome.
Thank you, my friend. Yes, that list is accurate. That puts several others I have basically out of contention for long-term holding. On the way out are likely:

- Henson Mild
- Superslant L1
- Several old GEMs

I've got an old pre-war tech and an injector that may stay.. not sure why.

I guess that's where Blutt 1.2 and Elite have sort of stalled in my mind. I may get to them, but you, among others, have described them as similar to the Greencult.

And if the Wolfman continues to impress, I am likely to order a snazzier version when I come up on the list and pass this one along at a nice price.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Thank you, my friend. Yes, that list is accurate. That puts several others I have basically out of contention for long-term holding. On the way out are likely:

- Henson Mild
- Superslant L1
- Several old GEMs

I've got an old pre-war tech and an injector that may stay.. not sure why.

I guess that's where Blutt 1.2 and Elite have sort of stalled in my mind. I may get to them, but you, among others, have described them as similar to the Greencult.

And if the Wolfman continues to impress, I am likely to order a snazzier version when I come up on the list and pass this one along at a nice price.
All of my top 6 give me similar results.... that's why I don't have a Vector or a Black Bird. From all I've read, they are a step or two more efficient than my favorites. I don't need more efficiency than I'm getting from my small group. It really is one of those Your Mileage Might Vary. I learned about the Green Cult from @LRod . We both love it but he hated the Rocnel Elite and sold it after 3 or so shaves. It really is funny how that works. You and @Mr. Shavington love the Karve Overlander, along with a long list of other people on B&B. I couldn't get a shave I enjoyed from mine after giving it 5 tries. It still makes no sense to me, but I moved it along, because, as I mentioned, I have the Blutt BR-1 0.86 that gives me that mindless shave and is around in case I need to shave every day for some reason.

For me, they're actually quite different. I find the Paladin to be softer by a decent margin. Granted, this Paladin was acquired from a member here, so surely went through some break in. The SV feels heavy and assertive for a badger. Not in a bad way, mind you, but a contrast to what feels like a delicate experience from the Paladin.

That makes total sense and lines up with what I've read in the past. Those Paladin handles are so nice, I really like the precision that you can see and I suspect you can feel.

But I like a fimer scrubbier knot so that's given me pause. Appreciate the feedback.

That makes total sense and lines up with what I've read in the past. Those Paladin handles are so nice, I really like the precision that you can see and I suspect you can feel.

But I like a fimer scrubbier knot so that's given me pause. Appreciate the feedback.
For sure!
Definitely on the softer side of the badgers I have. If you're looking for something with a bit more body, I'd recommend the Shavemac stuff that Rudy does or the SV Manchurian.

Shave #20: More hot takes.

Razor: ATT X1 Slant w/ Timeless Crown
Blade: Feather ProGuard
Brush: Morris & Forndran Legacy Badger
Pre: PAA The Tube 2.0 + Taylor of Old Bond Street Herbal Pre-Shave Gel
Soap: B&M Lavender
After: Crown Shaving Co. (forgot to include in picture)

A quality shave this morning, but, an interesting read on the ATT X1. It is a slant, so not apples to apples, but I find it more efficient/aggressive than the Vector Ti or Atelier Durdan La Faulx. I have used all three with an identical blade in the ProGuard and similar software. It definitely was not a bad shave, but my skin feels warmer and there was more blade feel, for sure.

I can only attribute this to it being a slant and requiring of more practice. Now, I don't think this moves the razor into the "meh" pile, but I will be very cognizant of that possibility as I get more repetitions with it. Much like I discussed earlier, not because it doesn't work for me, but because in a den that is starting to get crowded, it may find its way toward the lower half of the list. I need more reps with all of it, of course, but for those following along, La Faulx and Wolfman sit at the top. From there, things get a bit murky.

That said, BBS results from my usual process of two WTG passes on the cheeks and one WTG and one ATG on the neck. Better results across shaves surely means I am just getting a bit better at this whole thing. I don't see myself changing this programming any time soon. It works well for me and I don't think more passes has any benefit. Only risk. Truth is I could probably get away with one WTG pass on the cheeks and maybe even just the one on the neck as well. My beard, while not as luxurious as I wish my genetics would allow, is an aid in the shaving department.

To the software.

Upon taking my photo before shaving, it didn't occur to me that there was no splash, so we will start there. Crown Shaving Co. is a 47/10 in this regard and may be among my favorite bits of software regardless of portion of the process. This could change, again, but as I think about maybe limiting myself to 5 soaps, splashes, balms, etc., I am entirely sure this product is in absolutely no risk of being left out.

With that out, to the brush. It was just received yesterday and WOAH is it a looker. It is big, not light and feels quite substantial. It treated the B&M tub like it owed the brush money, taking soap away with reckless abandon and no concerns over the soap's wellbeing. OK, OK, I will cool down the prose. The brush may not be for everyone. It is tall and not light by any means. For those that love The Chubby, think of this as its polar opposite. I do like my Chubby, but I am also the type that doesn't believe in types. There is no perfect, as it takes out the human element. I approach my sink for a shave on different days in different weather in different moods with different things on my mind. With seemingly limitless variability, how is it even fathomable for there to be a "one to rule them all?" I digress yet again. My flight for tomorrow has just been cancelled and rebooked in an arduous way, including a layover, that is going to make for a crap start to what was already going to be a rough week. Fortunately I learned of this after the shave or I am sure the results and experience there would've been quite different.

The soap is as B&M is continuing to evolve in my mind. OK. Solid. Not exciting and not bad. This degree of "meets expectations" does put both my soaps by the firm in danger of being left out when a culling takes place. The splash I have from them is better, but still in danger simply due to its competition.

The same cannot be said for the balm. Oh, Truefitt & Hill, you sly operators. A joy. Not much else to add.

Yes, I am working out of order. Blame the flight.

So, the gel was nice. Nicer than I remember it from the first use. I don't believe it ranks with the two pre-shave treatments that are for sure winners in Grooming Dept. and Crown Shaving Co., but it is scratching at the heels. I took more time to work it into the skin this morning and it lathered up and released this lovely herbal smell (hence the name, I am guessing) that made it a real joy. It's quite a small tub, however, so if one was to use it all the time, you'd be re-ordering at a regular clip. It's relatively inexpensive at $20-ish (relative, of course), so it could end up being that I keep three pre-shave products that line up as second in my routine. The Tube has cemented itself, nearly, as the first part of that routine. I am interested in exploring a few oils, such as the SV I have or perhaps the Truefitt & Hill oil as a theoretical challenger, but not there yet. I do have the SV oil sitting in a cabinet and haven't given it a lot of chances. I find its roll-on applicator not the most enjoyable. But I'll give it more use soon.

Happy Sunday, folks.

0EF4AD9C-40A0-4CE1-BCD1-E8555B7A5475.jpeg

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune

A quality shave this morning, but, an interesting read on the ATT X1. It is a slant, so not apples to apples, but I find it more efficient/aggressive than the Vector Ti or Atelier Durdan La Faulx. I have used all three with an identical blade in the ProGuard and similar software. It definitely was not a bad shave, but my skin feels warmer and there was more blade feel, for sure.

I can only attribute this to it being a slant and requiring of more practice. Now, I don't think this moves the razor into the "meh" pile, but I will be very cognizant of that possibility as I get more repetitions with it. Much like I discussed earlier, not because it doesn't work for me, but because in a den that is starting to get crowded, it may find its way toward the lower half of the list. I need more reps with all of it, of course, but for those following along, La Faulx and Wolfman sit at the top. From there, things get a bit murky.

That said, BBS results from my usual process of two WTG passes on the cheeks and one WTG and one ATG on the neck. Better results across shaves surely means I am just getting a bit better at this whole thing. I don't see myself changing this programming any time soon. It works well for me and I don't think more passes has any benefit. Only risk. Truth is I could probably get away with one WTG pass on the cheeks and maybe even just the one on the neck as well. My beard, while not as luxurious as I wish my genetics would allow, is an aid in the shaving department.

To the software.

Upon taking my photo before shaving, it didn't occur to me that there was no splash, so we will start there. Crown Shaving Co. is a 47/10 in this regard and may be among my favorite bits of software regardless of portion of the process. This could change, again, but as I think about maybe limiting myself to 5 soaps, splashes, balms, etc., I am entirely sure this product is in absolutely no risk of being left out.

With that out, to the brush. It was just received yesterday and WOAH is it a looker. It is big, not light and feels quite substantial. It treated the B&M tub like it owed the brush money, taking soap away with reckless abandon and no concerns over the soap's wellbeing. OK, OK, I will cool down the prose. The brush may not be for everyone. It is tall and not light by any means. For those that love The Chubby, think of this as its polar opposite. I do like my Chubby, but I am also the type that doesn't believe in types. There is no perfect, as it takes out the human element. I approach my sink for a shave on different days in different weather in different moods with different things on my mind. With seemingly limitless variability, how is it even fathomable for there to be a "one to rule them all?" I digress yet again. My flight for tomorrow has just been cancelled and rebooked in an arduous way, including a layover, that is going to make for a crap start to what was already going to be a rough week. Fortunately I learned of this after the shave or I am sure the results and experience there would've been quite different.

The soap is as B&M is continuing to evolve in my mind. OK. Solid. Not exciting and not bad. This degree of "meets expectations" does put both my soaps by the firm in danger of being left out when a culling takes place. The splash I have from them is better, but still in danger simply due to its competition.

The same cannot be said for the balm. Oh, Truefitt & Hill, you sly operators. A joy. Not much else to add.

So, the gel was nice. Nicer than I remember it from the first use. I don't believe it ranks with the two pre-shave treatments that are for sure winners in Grooming Dept. and Crown Shaving Co., but it is scratching at the heels. I took more time to work it into the skin this morning and it lathered up and released this lovely herbal smell (hence the name, I am guessing) that made it a real joy. It's quite a small tub, however, so if one was to use it all the time, you'd be re-ordering at a regular clip. It's relatively inexpensive at $20-ish (relative, of course), so it could end up being that I keep three pre-shave products that line up as second in my routine. The Tube has cemented itself, nearly, as the first part of that routine. I am interested in exploring a few oils, such as the SV I have or perhaps the Truefitt & Hill oil as a theoretical challenger, but not there yet. I do have the SV oil sitting in a cabinet and haven't given it a lot of chances. I find its roll-on applicator not the most enjoyable. But I'll give it more use soon.

Happy Sunday, folks.

View attachment 1627300
That's interesting. I don't have a Vector but I'm surprised your X1 is more efficient and/or aggressive. I love mine.... it's about half a step more efficient than my first razor: the ESC Claymore Evolution. All my top razors are a half step up from it.

It just confirms... your mileage may vary.

I'm going to take the Claymore Evo and my X1 with me to Bali for 6 weeks.. and a week in Slovenia when we visit our son and his wife there. I might throw in a couple DE razors too.. My wife is taking hers so I'll have to bring along some DE blades for her.

That's interesting. I don't have a Vector but I'm surprised your X1 is more efficient and/or aggressive. I love mine.... it's about half a step more efficient than my first razor: the ESC Claymore Evolution. All my top razors are a half step up from it.

It just confirms... your mileage may vary.

I'm going to take the Claymore Evo and my X1 with me to Bali for 6 weeks.. and a week in Slovenia when we visit our son and his wife there. I might throw in a couple DE razors too.. My wife is taking hers so I'll have to bring along some DE blades for her.
You know, when you get back, if you'd like to experiment with the others, I'd be happy to send you either of the Blackland razors or whatever else for a vacation at Casa De Phoenixkh.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
When we get back, I might take you up on the Vector loan. I've always thought it would be more efficient than I need. But that is just reading the posts of people who love it, along with the other razors that make their top razor lists.

To the software.

Happy Sunday, folks.

View attachment 1627300

I've been staring at your fantastic Ti Crown handle and stand for several days now. This could be the best photo of the pair I've found.

Thank you for enabling me even more my friend :).

I've been staring at your fantastic Ti Crown handle and stand for several days now. This could be the best photo of the pair I've found.

Thank you for enabling me even more my friend :).
Good morning, we heard a dispatch coming through on 1-800-ENABLERS. You wanted enablement, we got you!

Have a great day!

Shave #21:

Razor: Blackland Blackbird Ti
Blade: ASTRA SP (3?)
Brush: Rudy Vey synthetic
Pre: PAA The Tube 2.0 + Truefitt & Hill Ultimate Comfort Pre-Shave Oil
Soap: MDC Rose
After: Chiseled Face Ghost Town Barber

I could easily scroll back and find out, which is sorta the point of journal's to a degree, but I just don't feel like it. I believe this is my third shave with the Blackbird. At this point, I consider it my most efficient shaver. The Greencult Lvl 2 may be near the same, but since I have only used it once, I am reserving categorization a touch.

With all that as preface, this was a DFS. Not in results, as those were BBS all around, but just in terms of experience. As I get more uses of products, hardware and software alike, I think conclusions form with a touch more certainty. I definitely felt some warmth on my neck and even a touch on my cheeks, though that's already starting to fade less than 45 minutes later. But I only had one tiny weeper that basically vanished before even applying the splash. So while the Blackbird may be more efficient than I "need," it's aspirational in the sense that as my technique improves, I can take that level of efficiency and leave the theoretical aggression part of that metric behind.

I've also come to a bit of a conclusion on the brush. It's simply the best brush I have. @Rudy Vey is a sorcerer, and despite preferring the badger brush for its romance as a "natural" product, it's not for any objective reason. Objectively, this is flawless. It produces lather with no effort and is lovely on the skin. I have no doubt using MDC soap and the Captain's Choice copper bowl aid in results, but I typically use nice soaps and that bowl for all shaves. And still, this brush is a standout. There are other brushes I may even enjoy using slightly more, but again, for psychological reasons. This brush is the best I have.

A new pre-shave product joined the routine this morning, as I followed my standard The Tube application with the Trufitt & Hill oil. A lovely product. I still prefer the thicker products from Grooming Dept. and Crown Shaving Co., but this was enjoyable. I am beginning to wonder if an oil should be my first product and then follow with the thicker ones just mentioned. This would push The Tube out, but it's always nice to experiment. I may do that with my next shave.

The soap is a new scent but MDC is the bees knees. It is in the top-tier of product lines and I only wish they made more than soap. Along with ABC and Trufitt & Hill, MDC stands above everything else. That includes other "elite" brands such as SV and, for me, Crown Shaving Co.

Chiseled Face is solid. It's not in the top or even elite tier for me, but in the very good and I will keep in the rotation tier. I am not looking to buy another bottle of a different scent, but also don't feel let down when its turn in the rotation arrives.

The ABC may be the very best product I have in my cabinet. Not 100% sure, but quite possible. I am interested in other products from the company, specifically the shave cream, but I will ask: Does anyone know if it's a hard soap like MDC or is it a more traditional soft cream? I can ask a retailer, ofc, but figured I would start here.

Great shave after three days of growth because I tend not to shave on my shorter business trips. At some point I will build a travel set, but I am so often in and out in 36 hours that it seems more trouble than it's worth.

Happy Thursday.

831E44E1-8FEA-4BDE-AF7B-F8486F8B234F.jpeg

Last edited:
Also… I’ve been thinking about the journal in general. I’m gonna start adding more to it.

It will still be within the general B&B topics, ofc, but more inclusive of the other parts of the forum that I’m also passionate about. This will include cooking (and an entire ecosystem around it, like knives and baking) and coffee for the most part.

First entry in that direction: Made a lovely lemon loaf with my sourdough starter as part of the base. Paired perfectly with Manhattan Roasters Camilo Torres made with the Orea this morning.

Have some sourdough pizza crust in the fridge I’ll share when it’s used too.

978ADD55-0702-4277-84E7-DB753548BA03.jpeg

Shave #22: For fun.

Razor: Wolfman WR2 0.95
Blade: Astra SP
Brush: Simpsons Chubby 1 Manchurian
Pre: SV Pre Shave Oil + Crown Shaving Co. Supreme Glide
Soap: SV 70th Anniversary
After: Wholly Kaw Club Yanka

I was sitting around on the couch, hanging out with my daughter when something popped into my head: "I want to shave." I ran my fingers across my neck and cheek as a tester. Yeah, it was a day early. Yeah, didn't care. And so I endeavored to take a second, albeit shorter, shower and shave, once my daughter went down for her afternoon nap.

It's just so crazy to me that I would see this as something other than a more enjoyable way of maintaining whatever appearance I have. I just wanted to shave. I drink espresso long after I am well caffeinated. It's for pleasure. Today's shave was for pleasure and nothing more.

To the session.

The Wolfman is just bliss. It is easily my favorite DE razor by multiple steps. I have very high hopes for the Athena I should be getting in the next month or so, as well, but as of right now, La Faulx from Atelier Durdan and Wolfman stand head and shoulders above others in the den. Mind you, the two titanium Blackland razors, an Overlander, Greencult and ATT X1 I have, among others, are no slouches. Still, those two are just better. Once all is here, it will be fun to run the bronze La Faulx vs. my bronze Wolfman. Different formats, but who cares... we'll treat it like Highlander. If the Athena lives up to expectations, I am beginning to wonder if I will use more than La Faulx, Wolfman and Athena. As someone who shaves 3-ish times a week, I'd miss one of those if I had three or four others in the rotation. A problem for another day. I think the Vector will survive, but beyond that, I can't speak to long-term plans. I've used all my razors so few times that this isn't much more than mental masturbation.

The shave itself was sublime. Effortless, to be honest. I am not sure how much "easier" the Overlander is for me than this razor. The most notable thing was ATG shaving on my neck. While this is typically the only sort of challenging part of my routine, it didn't feel any different than WTG. Zero nicks. Zero weepers. Zero irritation. Just lovely all around.

Because of how easy peasy it is, I continue to be tempted to go with a 1.05 when my name comes up, which is likely in the next week.

The brush is great. I do enjoy some of my bigger, dare I say, clunkier, brushes like the SV Manchurian or newly-arrived Morris & Forndran Legacy Badger. But the Chubby 1 really is the right size for a shallow bowl (Captain's Choice Copper) and someone that isn't clean shaven. And I must admit, I am a sucker for the butterscotch. If I had to really trim down to a handful of brushes, this may be the badger that remains. The synthetic from Rudy 100% and then maybe one other badger, say a Paladin, and I'd be all set and then some. The Morris & Forndran has only been used once, but to date, I would take this Simpsons and my Paladin ahead of it.

There isn't a whole lot to say about the soap or the post, so we'll skip those. They're solid products. As for the splash, it's OK. I am quite fortunate to have multiple products from Truefitt & Hill, SV, MDC, ABC, etc., which makes it very hard for "good" products to do well by comparison. Almost like golden handcuffs, to a degree. Again, it's not a bad product, but when surrounded by stuff from the brands just mentioned, it's clearly at a lower level. Several levels.

As I mentioned after my last shave, I tried a new pre-shave routine. I replaced my standard The Tube application with an oil. From a results perspective, this seems a fine direction. As I use two products, a quality soap and a quality brush, I imagine differences here are within a margin of error that could be attributed to atmospheric pressure or the angle of the sun :p. I don't love the experience of the SV pre shave oil. It's got one of those balls on the end that you treat like an applicator. I would rather pour a little oil in my hand and massage with my fingers. Perhaps I will see if I can remove the applicator all together.

Crown Shaving Co. has cemented itself as my second favorite pre-shave product. Grooming Dept. has won this war and I could see myself ordering a couple other tubs for scent variety and being done. There is a part of me that does wants to trim down to 3-4 products in each of these categories: pre, soap, splash, balm. Well, maybe not soap. That would be rough!

I think the Vector is next in my unorganized rotation. Can't wait.

Hope everyone is having a lovely weekend.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I'm on a low carb diet for the rest of my life... but that sandwich looks scrumptious.... I'll bet you treasured every bite.

Top Bottom