What's new

Elliot's Journal

Shave #15: This will be copied in the passaround thread to ensure those following that can get more feedback. What this means, however, is that those simply following along for my shavescapades (now a word) will get a bit more detail on the razor.

Razor: @Atelier DURDAN La Faulx (second shave)
Blade:
Feather Professional (1)
Brush: @Rudy Vey Muhle Synthetic
Pre: PAA The Tube 2.0 + Taylor of Old Bond Street Herbal Pre-Shave Gel
Soap: Ariana & Evans Asian Plum
After: Wholly Kaw Club Yanka

I had a lovely first experience with this razor a few days back. Other than a pretty typical rotation of software, the big change here is the Feather Professional, which as I understand it, is considerably "sharper" and has more blade feel than my usual AC choice -- the Feather ProGuard. I am comfortable with the ProGuard and it seems to suit me well, as it has produced good results in two different razors.

That said, WE STILL HAVE A WINNER!

This razor is just fantastic for me. I am 100% ordering one, likely in bronze, within the next couple weeks. With shipping, it will be my most expensive razor by a magnitude of three or so, but I have no hesitation whatsoever. @Atelier DURDAN - magic. I haven't used many razors twice in this new direction, but I could see myself using this exclusively if I wasn't a creature that craves variety. Today's result has left my skin just a touch warmer than the ProGuard. But still, zero weepers or noticeable irritation. Also zero feedback from the splash, though since it's my first time using it, perhaps that's more about the splash than the razor.

If I was to nitpick one thing, it would be the handle texture. It is a gorgeous handle and feels very nice, so it's not a blanket criticism. That said, with the handle wet, I could see that I needed to pay attention to my grip. Not really an issue, as I was really just playing with it to give it a full test. My handle is rarely absolutely drenched during a shave. Chalk this one up to taking it through its paces.

As for the tale of the tape, I did my usual two passes, both WTG, on the cheeks. The result is ever-so-closer as compared to the ProGuard, but not by an appreciable amount. The neck got my new and likely semi-permanent paradigm (is anything in life truly permanent?), which is one WTG pass and one ATG pass. Results are in-line with the ProGuard.

There is surely a user specific takeaway, but I see no reason to go away from the ProGuard as my go-to AC blade. I will say that I was more cautious using this blade due to its reputation as compared to the ProGuard. As such, it stands to reason that it could have provided much closer results if I was more intentional or "aggressive," though I think the term falls short. However, I have absolutely no need for any closer than the ProGuard provided and will not be ordering any new AC blades as of now. I will use the P-30 Proline that was also generously included for my next and possibly final shave before shipping onto the next participant. Might as well.

To the software.

I am slowly completing a cycle of all the new stuff I have recently acquired and there are certainly some standouts. Crown Shaving Co. and Truefitt & Hill are brands I will be continuing to explore, as the experience has been sublime.

Back to today's products.

The Pre-Shave Gel from Taylor of Old Bond Street was nice. It sort of lathered up as I rubbed it in, and this produced a nice sensation and barrier. At this point, I believe The Tube followed by either the Crown Shaving Co. gel or Groming Dept. pre-shave would have to be my go-to. That's not because this gel wasn't good. It's simply that the other two are so wonderful. Once I use up my current stuff, which will take some time, I believe that's what I will do. While I adore variety in soap, splash, razor, etc., I think of my pre-shave routine as much more pragmatic. Joy is there, sure, but as someone with skin that loves being nicked, I am much more objective about this portion of the process.

The soap is among my favorites, from lather to scent. I have never tried other A&E soaps, and while I am tempted, not very much to be frank. This is just so comfy for me. The brush has now seen a few uses and, @Rudy Vey, wow. There is the romantic in me that still craves the badger brushes for some semblance of a classical approach, but I would be absolutely lying if I said this synthetic didn't perform at the top of my brush collection. I feel my brush journey is nearly complete for now. I have one more that was ordered previously, the M&F Heritage II from Brad Sears. I am confident that will be a keeper as well, but I am settling into favorites and hope to do some giveaways with stuff soon.

The ABC is elite tier. I audibly whisper, "mmmm" when I apply it. It's surely my No. 1, though I need more applications of the Truefitt & Hill, as I have a feeling it will be contending for that spot.

All in all, I am just smitten with this razor and find sort of want to head right back to the bathroom and shave again :)

39C756D0-4682-439E-89FC-0032071A174A.jpeg

It’s great to hear you are so impressed with the La Faulx. I tend to favour the Kai Captain Titan Mild (Pink) AC blades - for me they are smoother and also sharper than the others I’ve used. Maybe give these a try someday. Feather Proguards are very good too, but there’s no benefit from the guards in a non-straight razor, and they prevent you from using diagonal ‘slide’ strokes with your razor.

It’s great to hear you are so impressed with the La Faulx. I tend to favour the Kai Captain Titan Mild (Pink) AC blades - for me they are smoother and also sharper than the others I’ve used. Maybe give these a try someday. Feather Proguards are very good too, but there’s no benefit from the guards in a non-straight razor, and they prevent you from using diagonal ‘slide’ strokes with your razor.
I have a pack and they've seen one use in the ATT X1 Slant!I will continue to test those!

Shave #16: This is my final shave before shipping out this incredible tool. But I have already ordered one for myself and cannot wait :)

Razor: @Atelier DURDAN La Faulx (third shave)
Blade:
P-30 Proline
Brush: Rudy Vey boar with Bog Oak handle
Pre: PAA The Tube 2.0 + SV Pre Shave Oil
Soap: B&M Cheshire
After: SV 70th Anniversary

This entry will be a touch shorter as, frankly, I was yet again wowed by the razor and there's not a whole heck of a lot to add.

The Proline fits snuggly in second place behind the Feather ProGuard in my extremely limited use of AC blades. I have a box of the well-loved Kai Mild Pink that I will explore more in the coming weeks and months.

Rudy Vey's boar brush is the closest I have ever come to really liking a boar brush. It's good, please don't get me wrong.... but I much prefer the various badgers I have and the synthetic I got from Rudy. This purchase, and an SOC Mistura I purchased right around the same time, was to be my sort of end-all-be-all of the boar experiment. The question has been answered... for me.

The software was interesting. I adore everything I have from SV, which is quite a lot, but The Tube is special. And while I enjoy using two pre-shave products, the oil from SV is not a good compliment to The Tube. Something like the gel from Crown Shaving Co. or the Grooming Dept. product pairs much better. As I have mentioned before, a zeroing in of the pre, soap, splash and balm is taking place. And for pre-shave more than any other of those, I don't see having a large variety (my typical M.O.) being where I land.

Yet another semi hot take from me: I find B&M stuff to be . . . good. Just good. I have several of their products in different parts of the routine and I always consider them, I don't know, just good. Now. . . good is not a bad thing, of course. But I feel like the reputation they carry is commensurate with brands like SV and MDC (perhaps I am wrong). And I don't consider them in the same league.

The splash, well, is perhaps my favorite, right up there with Crown Shaving Co.

The balm is a stalwart. it just works.

Forgive the slightly lackluster entry, all, I was called away on business this week for a very quick turnaround across the country. I am not quite sure what timezone I am in, but it feels like bedtime. In addition to the shaving photo, I will share a photo from where I was.

7B8B5A96-4615-492B-9517-209630DBBDFD.jpeg

CCEE3963-B269-4363-ABB2-F7ADEAED150F.jpeg

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Shave #16: This is my final shave before shipping out this incredible tool. But I have already ordered one for myself and cannot wait :)

Razor: @Atelier DURDAN La Faulx (third shave)
Blade:
P-30 Proline
Brush: Rudy Vey boar with Bog Oak handle
Pre: PAA The Tube 2.0 + SV Pre Shave Oil
Soap: B&M Cheshire
After: SV 70th Anniversary

This entry will be a touch shorter as, frankly, I was yet again wowed by the razor and there's not a whole heck of a lot to add.

The Proline fits snuggly in second place behind the Feather ProGuard in my extremely limited use of AC blades. I have a box of the well-loved Kai Mild Pink that I will explore more in the coming weeks and months.

Rudy Vey's boar brush is the closest I have ever come to really liking a boar brush. It's good, please don't get me wrong.... but I much prefer the various badgers I have and the synthetic I got from Rudy. This purchase, and an SOC Mistura I purchased right around the same time, was to be my sort of end-all-be-all of the boar experiment. The question has been answered... for me.

The software was interesting. I adore everything I have from SV, which is quite a lot, but The Tube is special. And while I enjoy using two pre-shave products, the oil from SV is not a good compliment to The Tube. Something like the gel from Crown Shaving Co. or the Grooming Dept. product pairs much better. As I have mentioned before, a zeroing in of the pre, soap, splash and balm is taking place. And for pre-shave more than any other of those, I don't see having a large variety (my typical M.O.) being where I land.

Yet another semi hot take from me: I find B&M stuff to be . . . good. Just good. I have several of their products in different parts of the routine and I always consider them, I don't know, just good. Now. . . good is not a bad thing, of course. But I feel like the reputation they carry is commensurate with brands like SV and MDC (perhaps I am wrong). And I don't consider them in the same league.

The splash, well, is perhaps my favorite, right up there with Crown Shaving Co.

The balm is a stalwart. it just works.

Forgive the slightly lackluster entry, all, I was called away on business this week for a very quick turnaround across the country. I am not quite sure what timezone I am in, but it feels like bedtime. In addition to the shaving photo, I will share a photo from where I was.

View attachment 1622125

View attachment 1622126
Elliot,

Thanks for joining B&B. I look forward to your journal posts and the other threads you've started.

As I sit in the car waiting for the ferry line to open up, I’ll give a recap while my mind is fresh.

Razor: Wolfman WR2
Blade: Astra SP (1)
Brush: SV Manchurian
Pre: PAA The Tube 2.0 + Crown Shaving Co.
Soap: La Savonniere du Moulin
After: B&M Clusterfig

The WR2 is nice. It’s clear to me the 0.95 is the way to go. This was both smoother and more efficient than my Blackbird Ti. This was purchased from a forum member and has a WR1 handle, which is HEAVY. I don’t mind the weight, just something to note. As of now, though who knows what may change, I’d like to order the nicest polish of the SS offering with the Darwin handle—simply because it’s the most unique offering. To me, I like that the Darwin is unlike anything else on the market. I’ll then consider ordering a Timeless Crown and see what sticks.

The shave was great. My usual protocol, two WTG passes on my cheeks and one WTG + one ATG on my neck. BBS all around and one almost unnoticeable weeper to show for it. Just lovely.

The soap is fantastic. An absolute gem that I don’t see much of around here. Recommend at the highest level. The brush is a triumph and I’m so glad I grabbed one after @Phoenixkh spoke so highly of his. Surely in the long-term keeper pile.

This splash is my favorite B&M product by far. There was some feedback, but it’s simply my experience that this product does that. The balm is lovely. I adore its texture and feel on the face. I tend to be pleased with all my Ariana & Evans products.

Lastly, the Astra SP clearly earned its reputation for a reason. I haven’t done much blade exploring because, frankly, this just works… why mess with it.

Slightly rushed but the big takeaway is that when my number comes up, I’ll surely order a WR2 0.95 and pass this along at a nice price.

Its hype is real.

My brass Overlander should be here in a couple days, so we’ll likely give that a go next. If it’s after my next shave, then I’m not sure! But that’s the fun of it, I suppose.

Have a lovely weekend, chaps.

As I sit in the car waiting for the ferry line to open up, I’ll give a recap while my mind is fresh.

Razor: Wolfman WR2
Blade: Astra SP (1)
Brush: SV Manchurian
Pre: PAA The Tube 2.0 + Crown Shaving Co.
Soap: La Savonniere du Moulin
After: B&M Clusterfig

The WR2 is nice. It’s clear to me the 0.95 is the way to go. This was both smoother and more efficient than my Blackbird Ti. This was purchased from a forum member and has a WR1 handle, which is HEAVY. I don’t mind the weight, just something to note. As of now, though who knows what may change, I’d like to order the nicest polish of the SS offering with the Darwin handle—simply because it’s the most unique offering. To me, I like that the Darwin is unlike anything else on the market. I’ll then consider ordering a Timeless Crown and see what sticks.

The shave was great. My usual protocol, two WTG passes on my cheeks and one WTG + one ATG on my neck. BBS all around and one almost unnoticeable weeper to show for it. Just lovely.

The soap is fantastic. An absolute gem that I don’t see much of around here. Recommend at the highest level. The brush is a triumph and I’m so glad I grabbed one after @Phoenixkh spoke so highly of his. Surely in the long-term keeper pile.

This splash is my favorite B&M product by far. There was some feedback, but it’s simply my experience that this product does that. The balm is lovely. I adore its texture and feel on the face. I tend to be pleased with all my Ariana & Evans products.

Lastly, the Astra SP clearly earned its reputation for a reason. I haven’t done much blade exploring because, frankly, this just works… why mess with it.

Slightly rushed but the big takeaway is that when my number comes up, I’ll surely order a WR2 0.95 and pass this along at a nice price.

Its hype is real.

My brass Overlander should be here in a couple days, so we’ll likely give that a go next. If it’s after my next shave, then I’m not sure! But that’s the fun of it, I suppose.

Have a lovely weekend, chaps.

Congratulations on the inaugural WR shave! Sounds like a amazing experience, smoother and more efficient than the Blackbird Ti. That handle is the beefiest handle I've ever seen I think!

Could you tell me a little about your pre-shave process? I've used the cube/tube and like it a lot, but haven't even heard of the Crown pre-shave. What's your order of use there?

You are sort of a shave kit artist man. You are finding so many high-end tools that are off the radar. Again, I didn't realize A&E had a serum, that's caught my attention as well. I've tried a few A&E soap samples and loved the base but never found a scent I bonded with.

Your Journal might end up being the worst for me to read @Elliot, it's too good :). The PNW shavers don't mess around!

Congratulations on the inaugural WR shave! Sounds like a amazing experience, smoother and more efficient than the Blackbird Ti. That handle is the beefiest handle I've ever seen I think!

Could you tell me a little about your pre-shave process? I've used the cube/tube and like it a lot, but haven't even heard of the Crown pre-shave. What's your order of use there?

You are sort of a shave kit artist man. You are finding so many high-end tools that are off the radar. Again, I didn't realize A&E had a serum, that's caught my attention as well. I've tried a few A&E soap samples and loved the base but never found a scent I bonded with.

Your Journal might end up being the worst for me to read @Elliot, it's too good :). The PNW shavers don't mess around!
Thank you, brother! So, I have painstakingly sensitive skin and despite wet shaving (mostly) for many, many years, am super prone to irritation. I’ve found a two-ingredient pre-shave to be ideal for me. The Tube is always first. It’s a stalwart and I enjoy it very much. I then use a second product, preferably something more like a gel… just thicker and heavier, not like an oil. Hope that makes sense.

I’ve tried two things from Crown Shaving Co. and must say I’ve been beyond impressed. This product is like a gel, really sorta coats the skin and then add a quality soap - forget about it.

I’m a man of very few hobbies, so I tend to go nuts on the ones I have. Clothes aren’t important to me, give me a million bucks and I still drive my Subaru. Big-time introvert in my personal life, so don’t even eat out much or vacation. Leaves quite a bit of discretionary income for some of these “other” things.

As for A&E, have you tried the Asian Plum? Easily my favorite. When I first started wet shaving (SRs), A&E and B&M were the two sort of “artisanal” ones I was told to try immediately. I have a strong preference for A&E between the two, for what it’s worth.

Thanks again for the kind words!

Last edited:
Thank you, brother! So, I have painstakingly sensitive skin and despite wet shaving (mostly) for many, many years, am super prone to irritation. I’ve found a two-ingredient pre-shave to be ideal for me. The Tube is always first. It’s a stalwart and I enjoy it very much. I then use a second product, preferably something more like a gel… just thicker and heavier, not like an oil. Hope that makes sense.

It does! So are you rinsing the tube lather and then applying the cool Crown gel? Or is the gel applied kind of on top of the tube soap?
I’m a man of very few hobbies, so I tend to go nuts on the ones I have. Clothes aren’t important to me, give me a million bucks and I still drive my Subaru. Big-time introvert in my personal life, so don’t even eat out much or vacation. Leaves quite a bit of discretionary income for some of these “other” things.

Sounds like we're cut from much the same cloth. You'll never need to justify your hobby purchases here :)
As for A&E, have you tried the Asian Plum?

No, but that's the scent profile I was thinking I might like and would be the next A&E I'd try. Nice, thanks for the recommendation! I've got a jar of Ethos waiting to get cracked after FFFMM, I'm really excited to give that a spin after all the hype strong recommendations.

It does! So are you rinsing the tube lather and then applying the cool Crown gel? Or is the gel applied kind of on top of the tube soap?

Sounds like we're cut from much the same cloth. You'll never need to justify your hobby purchases here :)

No, but that's the scent profile I was thinking I might like and would be the next A&E I'd try. Nice, thanks for the recommendation! I've got a jar of Ethos waiting to get cracked after FFFMM, I'm really excited to give that a spin after all the hype strong recommendations.
I actually put my second product (Crown and Grooming Dept. favorite two atm) right on top and sort of massage in with fingertips.

As was mentioned in the other journal you commented on, Asian Plum is not a super masculine scent. That’s just not something I consider at all.

Ethos is one I hear a lot about but have never tried either. Lmk how you take to it!

Shave #18: This is the closest I have been to a "mindless" set.

Razor: Karve Overlander, Brass
Blade: Astra SP
Brush: Paladin
Pre: PAA The Tube 2.0 + Grooming Dept.
Soap: Taylor of Old Bond Street Jermyn Street Collection
After: SV Felce Aromatica

Outside of the razor being brass and therefore requiring a bit more care, this is a pretty mindless kit.

The Overlander has a very industrial vibe to it. This is likely because it's not polished at all. Compound that with this being a brass model and it feels much more like a tool than any of my other razors. This is not necessarily good or bad. Simply an observation.

The shave was carefree. My typical protocol of two WTG passes on the cheeks and one WTG, one ATG on the neck resulted in DFS+ on the cheeks and a surprisingly near BBS result on the neck. So, I see why people like this razor. It just works. What it lacks is what can only be called sex appeal. I enjoyed the shave and I will be keeping this at least in the medium term, but there's something about holding La Faulx, a Wolfman, etc. that goes beyond quality of the shave. Results from the Overlander were top-tier; it's just missing that extra "it." I received nearly zero feedback from the SV splash, which is certainly alcohol led, so that says a lot.

Beyond the razor, I consider this carefree because of the software as well. I've now done two rounds of Tube followed by Crown and Grooming Dept. pre-shave products. Currently, a slight edge to the latter. It's thick and really feels like it coats the hair, creating a fantastic base for any soap. I really like the Crown Shaving Co. product, so could see my "end game" for the time being established as The Tube followed by one of those, alternating.

There isn't much to say about a Paladin that hasn't already been said, so I will move onto the soap. It's very similar to the Overlander for me. It doesn't have any scent to speak of and doesn't knock one's socks off, but it lathers easily and effortlessly, doing the true job any soap has to do. I have to assume many of us agree that MDC soaps are not 3x better than other decent products. But we love them nonetheless :).

The splash is lovely, like everything I have tried from SV and the balm, well, the balm I am giving away in another thread. It's texture and feel is superb. A GREAT product in all ways other than one: the scent. It's a little, I don't know, musky. I will admit happily and openly that I have no care for "masculine" scents as it has always seemed a bit silly to think of one's masculinity through the lens of high-end face products. I mean, come on. I don't care about my sense of masculinity in general, but I am more inclined to think it should come from something other than how my skin smells.

I digress.

A quality shave and I can see the Overlander slotting into a "I don't feel like shaving" position. To me, it kicks the Henson Mild out, as it has a similair mindlessness, but closer results. At least for me. As such, The Henson may find its way out of the house in the near term. Still thinking.

A new razor arrives today, so I am already excited for my next shave.

Have a lovely day, all.

E5768117-EE97-45E7-B184-3F1CC307F350.jpeg

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
It just works.

Part of the reason I like that razor so much. I can be into my cups or gummies and still get a stellar shave from it.

What it lacks is what can only be called sex appeal.

Part of the reason I like that razor so much. I just wish I had the presence of mind to get an aluminum version. Soon, though.

Very glad the razor treated you well whilst you await your bronze masterpiece from France.

How would you compare the Paladin knot to the SV knot you recently added to the collection? Are they in the same ballpark in face feel?

How would you compare the Paladin knot to the SV knot you recently added to the collection? Are they in the same ballpark in face feel?
For me, they're actually quite different. I find the Paladin to be softer by a decent margin. Granted, this Paladin was acquired from a member here, so surely went through some break in. The SV feels heavy and assertive for a badger. Not in a bad way, mind you, but a contrast to what feels like a delicate experience from the Paladin.

Last edited:
Top Bottom