What's new

Elliot's Journal

I am a bit of a rabbit hole diver,
Given your recent acquisitions and waiting list records we can safely assess that ‘a bit’ is the understatement of February 2023. My man, you are not even a rabbit hole diver. You sir are a rabbit hole submarine!!

Wow! Amazing razors! And just as a nudge of enablement - get the Green Cult. You will not regret it.

Enjoy!

Guido

Given your recent acquisitions and waiting list records we can safely assess that ‘a bit’ is the understatement of February 2023. My man, you are not even a rabbit hole diver. You sir are a rabbit hole submarine!!

Wow! Amazing razors! And just as a nudge of enablement - get the Green Cult. You will not regret it.

Enjoy!

Guido
I will likely get it. The question is which level... also watching @Phoenixkh like a hawk here :)

Well I have a Ti95 and so far the level II GC2 has been a good sweet spot given that its positive exposure is larger than my Timeless. I will likely pick up III and IV somewhere down the road.

Guido

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
@Elliot , have you joined a new cult today?

Should it turn out your asbestos/goodestest razors be your Ti Blackbird and Ti Vector, not only are you twinning with @never-stop-learning , but you could also join:

Well I have a Ti95 and so far the level II GC2 has been a good sweet spot given that its positive exposure is larger than my Timeless. I will likely pick up III and IV somewhere down the road.

Guido
Good to know. Considering I don't really need something super efficient, I am always inclined to be cautious as it relates to "aggression."

Enjoy!

Guido
As kitchen knives were my first foray into extreme hobbying, the pricing of razors is pretty mild to me.
@Elliot , have you joined a new cult today?

Should it turn out your asbestos/goodestest razors be your Ti Blackbird and Ti Vector, not only are you twinning with @never-stop-learning , but you could also join:

It appears that may be appropriate!

As an update, we're going on about 20 hours or so later and my skin feels great! Cheeks still nearly BBS WTG but stubble ofc ATG. Neck, which did receive three passes, also feels great.

I have been shaving every other day as of late, mostly because I want to play with the toys if I am being honest. But with the status of my neck and cheeks this morning, I can't imagine shaving tomorrow. Everything feels good!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Good to know. Considering I don't really need something super efficient, I am always inclined to be cautious as it relates to "aggression."

As kitchen knives were my first foray into extreme hobbying, the pricing of razors is pretty mild to me.

It appears that may be appropriate!
Welcome. :)

Shave #10: Things trending in the right direction.

Razor: Gillette Pre-War Tech replated by Back Roads Gold
Blade: Astra SP
Brush: Paladin Butterscotch Beehive
Pre: PAA The Tube 2.0 + Proraso Crema Pre Barba
Soap: Jack Black Supreme Cream
After: B&M Clusterfig

In the immortal words of Hannibal Lecter, "You know, I believe we're making progress."

This is my second go-around with this razor and the experience was wildly different. I believe there are a few reasons for this, but two that I think are more substantive.

- Technique has to be getting better 10 shaves in, though I think this is the least impactful on today's results.
- Astra SP. I used Personna Red's the first time I used this razor but have noticed that the two times I have used Astra SP's in other razors have been positive, so I took a shot and subbed the blade. There might be something here.
- My pre-shave routine evolution, now utilizing BOTH The Tube and Proraso.

As another aside, I am really enjoying the splash followed by balm. As such, any splash recommendations? Most of my cabinet is balms with just a few splashes. And I do love variety. The slight burn is fine and in some ways refreshing, but I am not looking for an overwhelming burn.

The Paladin, recently purchased from @BradWorld, feels quite similar to my other Paladin, although I can tell this one has seen more use. Not to say it's overused by any means, but, the other has only been used one time, so...easy to be "more used" than that :). With two Paladin brushes in the den, I can see why they have such a reputation. They just work.

The shave cream is easy peasy, which I think I notice about creams in general. They just lather up so much quicker and easier than some of the "nicer" soaps. This doesn't impact my usage plans or direction at all. Just a note.

One tiny weeper I didn't even notice and while my neck feels just a tad "warmer" as compared to the Vector, it's by no means problematic. I did my typical two passes, both WTG, on the cheeks. Two passes on the neck, one WTG and one XTG. Cheeks, as always, are BBS and carefree. Neck is DFS when feeling WTG and has a little stubble left behind when running my finger ATG. For a DFS or BBS result on the neck, I think I need to go ATG. That said, with a decent beard and no real need for those results, I am more than satisfied.

Have a good weekend, all.

9F8BF4FF-3564-4FD7-BB44-00035D049508.jpeg

That's a beautiful piece of shiny there Elliot! Wow, it probably didn't look that good brand new. I'd like to have a BRG razor at some point, everything I see by them is stunning.

I've got about the same number of shaves in with my new-to-me, not as shiny pre-war. I'm not pulling off BBS with it quite yet but that's a technique issue. :) I've been using Gillette Platinums but I should try Astras in it, sounds like they are working well for you for sure.

Shave #11: Perhaps a corner has been turned

Razor: RR Superslant L1
Blade: Gillette Nacet Stainless (2)
Brush: Rudy Vey two-band B&B 2020
Pre: PAA The Tube 2.0 + Proraso Crema Pre Barba
Soap: ABC Almond Oil Shaving Cream
After: SV Felce Aromatica

Overall, another successful shave. I credit most of this to my routine, which has evolved in the last week to be rather complete. The multiple pre-shave treatments, not even considering a face scrub in the warm shower beforehand, all add up IMO.

I am still not in love with the Superslant. Today's result included zero nicks or weepers (a first in the 11 shaves since the switch), though there was a small amount of warmth and tingling. You would think, rightfully so, that this would make the razor a true keeper. For a reason I haven't yet put my finger on, I am not so sure. As many who have been following along know, I have dove head first into the cement deep end and have no intention of keeping all the razors I have or have on the way. This razor may be a casualty of "doesn't excite." Not the best rationale, but it is my own.

I did my usual two passes, both WTG, on my cheeks. Not quite BBS results, but DFS with infinite +'s. I typically get BBS results out of this paradigm. Perhaps it's the L1 plate. Still, I am in no way tempted to try the L2. In full transparency, I am imagining love at first shave from the ATT X1 w/ Timeless Crown setup that should be done this week. That may make the Superslant, despite being different, redundant in my simple mind. I digress.

As for the neck, I was bold. Three passes, one each of WTG, XTG and ATG. To my somewhat surprise, VERY limited irritation. There is some inconsistency in my results along different parts of my neck, but technique is probably at play and perhaps more reticence and caution as I moved toward the midline. For my use, more than close enough, but I find myself interested in just sort of pushing the limits and taking that third pass as a learning experience more than a desired performance outcome. Much like most things, I imagine this is a bit of muscle memory as a hobby. More repetitions makes for better longer-term results.

I have gone perhaps even more overboard on the "software," but I will also narrow that a bit in time. The brush, well, it's Rudy. 'Nuff said. The ABC is a forever soap for me. One may choose not to reorder the same soap upon completion for variety's sake, if nothing else. That will not be the case with this soap. It was the first high end soap I purchased years ago when I converted to straights and it will remain in the cabinet for years and years to come, I believe.

The SV splash is nice, but I wouldn't say memorable. I enjoy the 70th Anniversary one in the fancy square bottle a bit more. As for the balm, I don't know. I like Barrister & Mann, but I have found the soaps to be superior to the balms. Of course, personal preference and YMMV and all that jazz. Nothing "wrong" with this, just not the most soothing or joyful. Much like the razor, a more qualitative and subjective end to my thought process.

By the time I am ready for my next shave, I should have the X1 here and setup, so I will almost surely be using that. I placed my order for the Overlander eight days ago and have the Green Cult already en route. As such, there may be a shave in between where the BB Ti or Vector sneak back in, but my next few shaves could easily be new razors. Hopefully Blutt will restock the High Polish soon as well, as I plan to order that straight away.

I am on several wait lists and will be participating in pass arounds of both of Atelier Durdan's razors. I am supremely excited for those and hope to fall in love with at least one. I do covet the notion of the bespoke proprietor. Probably why the Athena and Wolfman lists are also ones I am on.

Otherwise, I am looking at the Yates and Carbon, but have yet to decide if either will be purchased. The Atelier Durdan razor, whichever I choose, will not be cheap, as I am likely to go with titanium or even bronze. :)

Happy Tuesday, folks.

423FB85D-EF2E-466E-ACB5-E9009C70F8F9.jpeg

Shave #12

Razor: ATT X1 Slant w/ Timeless Crown
Blade: KAI Captain Titan Mild (1)
Brush: Simpsons Manchurian Chubby 1
Pre: PAA The Tube 2.0 + SV Pre-Shave Oil
Soap: SV 70th
After: Lucky Tiger

As is most often the case, lots of firsts today, including the razor, blade, brush and SV pre-shave oil. Also, though I don't list it above in my "gear," this is my first use of the Captain's Choice copper bowl, which just came in yesterday. I dig the bowl.

First off, this is the most beautiful razor I have. From the head to the Timeless Crown, it's just a looker. And I have some nice stuff in the cabinet from the likes of Blackland and Back Roads Gold. Still, just wow. I'm a bit infatuated by Atelier Durdan and plan to purchase one of his offerings in Bronze. That may give the aesthetic here a run for its money. I am leaning toward his AC blade, if nothing else because I will eventually have an Athena and Wolfman. Sort of figure that checks the gorgeous DE box.

I digress.

Overall, the shave was OK. Not great and not bad by any means. I think some of the slight regression could be the pre-shave routine. The SV oil and Tube have a similar sort of thing going on. While I do think having two pre-shave treatments has worked well for me, perhaps the Proraso, being a cream, is a better follow up to a more oil-like product. The razor felt nice in hand and I do really find myself liking the SE format. It is absolutely silly, but not being cognizant of which side of the blade I am using is just an odd relief for me. Results, despite my two passes (both WTG as usual) on the cheeks, and three passes (WTG, XTG and ATG) on the neck, were not the closest, even on the cheeks. Perhaps it's the blade choice as compared to the Feather Pro Guard I used with my Vector's maiden voyage, or it's the general caution with which I approach pressure. Technique always plays a role and I am still quite new to this whole thing.

The brush and soap are both in the A-tier. There isn't a whole heck of a lot more to say. The Chubby is the smallest brush I have and, while I think a "perfect" brush for me would have a little longer handle, I enjoyed using it immensely. And I am an absolute sucker for the butterscotch.

After was interesting.

I find the Lucky Tiger to be a sort of in-between in some ways. It's got the liquid texture of a splash, but it doesn't produce any sting. And I don't think this is because of the shave results. I enjoy the Taylor of Bond just fine. It's one I won't buy again immediately upon completion, but I also have nothing bad to say. I will say, however, that my skin, especially on my forehead and near the temple's, has been breaking out since the shift to DE shaving. I am crediting this, right or wrong, to perhaps too much product. I don't use a lot by any means, but to go from zero to even just rubbing in the superfluous after-shave balm is perhaps too much for my skin. I do have incredibly oily skin, so perhaps I should stick to incredibly light amounts where I shave and nothing else. Or maybe all the balms need to be sold and a quick splash is all that my skin would like.

Open to thoughts and experiences here.

With the Overlander still yet to ship and the Green Cult not yet on U.S. soil, it appears my next shave will be a repeat. Not a bad thing at all. I'm thinking the Blackbird, but we'll see.

B1B327D4-CF00-42F2-B545-D149746F6B2D.jpeg

The Atelier Durdan razors get very expensive if you go for bronze, copper or titanium, rather than steel. I got one of his original run for the DE ‘Le Maurice’ and it’s a good razor, but not one that I’d pay double or triple for to have a different metal and/or polishing. I haven’t tried the new SE ‘Faulx’ razor and I’m following a passaround on another forum - so far seems like good feedback but not amazing. It’s €600+ for polished copper or bronze, which I think is probably too much unless it’s the best razor around. I’ve adopted a wait and see approach to this one.

The Atelier Durdan razors get very expensive if you go for bronze, copper or titanium, rather than steel. I got one of his original run for the DE ‘Le Maurice’ and it’s a good razor, but not one that I’d pay double or triple for to have a different metal and/or polishing. I haven’t tried the new SE ‘Faulx’ razor and I’m following a passaround on another forum - so far seems like good feedback but not amazing. It’s €600+ for polished copper or bronze, which I think is probably too much unless it’s the best razor around. I’ve adopted a wait and see approach to this one.
Also wait and see for me. I just can't deny that I am enamored.
I am on passaround lists for both models here on B&B, so will hopefully get the answer prior to dropping that kind of cheddar on a razor. I often look for a Wolfman on the BST for this reason as well, though I suppose if I end up not being a fan when my time comes, resale will be quick and effortless.

Shave #13

Razor: Blackland Blackbird Ti
Blade: Astra SP (2)
Brush: SOC Mistura
Pre: PAA The Tube 2.0 + Crown Shaving Co. Pre-Shave
Soap: Proraso
After: Chiseled Face Ghost Town Barber

Late last week I recieved some new software, so that will roll out over the next couple weeks.
The best word for today's efforts would be "solid." The BB Ti is efficient and not overly aggressive. By my definitions anyway. It's definitely the most aggressive of what are becoming my favorite razors, making quick work of growth and providing feedback, but I don't mind it.

I did two passes on my cheeks, both WTG, as usual. Near BBS results and little to say. As for my neck, I explored something I think may make sense for me: Two passes, one WTG and one ATG. Due to what I have read, I typically go with XTG after WTG, but I postulate that more passes, almost regardless of direction, is simply more time with a blade on my sensitive skin. The results were the most BBS my neck has felt in my new-ish adventure. Little noticeable irritation as well, minus a little weeper that only showed up AFTER the splash was applied. I enjoy the learning curve of this razor and, along with my Vector Ti, represent my favorite two razors to date. That said, I am next on the La Faulx pass around and have the Green Cult en route. Both of those have high expectations here.

Onward. This may get me the equivalent of cancelled, but I have never been a massive fan of this Proraso. I have several other products from the company that I enjoy, but this has never really checked the box. That said, the pre-shave was lovely today. First time using the Crown gel and it's surely a keeper. I have other pre-shaves I like AND some still yet to try, but I do see what all the fuss is about. At some level, I also believe this made a significant impact in the comfortableness of my shave today despite using a more efficient razor.

The Chiseled Face was nice. A slight tingle of feedback across the face, but far from overpowering. And the balm, wow, a treat. Soothing, incredible texture and just felt great to put on. I may be too fancy a guy, but it reminded me of the ABC I have, which is at the top of the heap. I am going to be trying some more products from this company in the next weeks and months.

All in all, a nice experience this morning. My next shave will be, depending on USPS, the Atelier Durdan La Faulx, or a second go-around with the Henson. I am excited for the Green Cult, but thinking practically, it may sit. It's currently in customs hell, so who knows, and then once the pass around arrives, I will want to make the most use of my time with it and get 2-3 shaves in so I may decide if it's something I would like to consider purchasing.

Happy Tuesday, all.

5AB81183-6031-4B9A-938D-121E768ABB76.jpeg

Onward. This may get me the equivalent of cancelled, but I have never been a massive fan of this Proraso. I have several other products from the company that I enjoy, but this has never really checked the box.

I'm with you there. Earlier in my relatively short wet shaving journey I liked Proraso. The smell and the cooling menthol are nice. But once I improved my lather game and found better soaps, I realized that Proraso is not nearly as slick or protective as better soaps. I won't be buying anymore of it.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I don't often comment on products that didn't thrill me.... but unfortunately, the Proraso White was sort of blah for me. It is an inexpensive choice but I've gravitated to other products over this past year. Proraso is a respected brand and lots of people here love it so I hesitate to post something negative about the brand. I haven't tried the Red, Blue or Green.

Shave #14: This will be copied in the passaround thread to ensure those following that can get more feedback. What this means, however, is that those simply following along for my shavescapades (now a word) will get a bit more detail on the razor.

Razor: @Atelier DURDAN La Faulx
Blade: Feather Pro Guard (1)
Brush: Paladin
Pre: PAA The Tube 2.0 + Grooming Dept.
Soap: MDC Vetyver
After: Crown Shaving Co. After Shave Tonic

We have an absolute winner!

Prior to this morning, the Vector Ti was my favorite shave since switching to safety razors. This blows it out of the park. Nothing against the Vector Ti -- I will keep that in the rotation and am quite fond of it. But this is love at first shave and I am almost surely ordering a Bronze iteration in the next week or two. I will keep the razor for approximately a week, in line with passaround standard, so I am likely to get two or three more shaves. But the first impression is 11/10. If you like AC razors, this is something to watch.

@Atelier DURDAN -- bravo.

Passaround entries seem to always follow a format. I will ignore it... sorry not sorry. If you're looking for the feedback of an uber-experienced safety razor shaver, ignore my entry. There are others who simply know more and carry more weight, rightfully so.

Aesthetics + ergonomics: I mean, hot damn. This thing is a looker. It immediately gives off that premium vibe, even more so than Blackland products, which though high end, take a small (just one man's opinion of course) dip with the satin finish on the titanium razors. This razor also has weight and to my sense, feels a bit handle heavy. Upon picking it up, I thought that might be something that I wouldn't love. On the contrary, it makes me more cognizant of the pressure because I am more aware of that counterbalance. Hope that makes sense. Overall, I do enjoy razors that feel mighty. This feels mighty.

Results: My best safety razor shave to date. Zero weepers, very light and beyond tolerable (arguably desireable) feedback from the splash, and BBS results on my neck -- the trouble area.

On to my more typical entry.

For the shave, I did my customary two passes, both WTG, on my cheeks. DFS++ results, easy peasy. For my neck, I followed the path of my last shave with two passes, one WTG and one ATG. I am really thinking there is something here to this paradigm. Whereas many consider the "standard" to include that XTG pass in between, I think it just adds an additional exposure. And for my skin, which is quite sensitive and prone to nicks and irritation, the ability to get top-shelf results with simply less passes is a win. I could surely follow the same path for my cheeks, which aren't nearly as troublesome, but as I do maintain a beard, I find it easier to keep my lines clean shaving WTG, which for me is north to south in that area. I really cannot say enough about this razor. The ONLY thing that gives me cause-to-pause on purchasing outright is that I hope to try the DE razor soon, as I am on that pass around as well. Still, I do enjoy the AC format and it's more likely I end up with both in time. While the pass around is generous to include some blades, I went with Feather Pro Guard, which is my AC of choice -- granted I have only tried two. In the shaves to come before I pass this lovely piece along, I will likely try the other blades just to see if they are something I want to have in the den. Anyway... bravo, bravo, bravo.

On to the software.

This may be close to my sort of desert-island set. The Tube is a lovely item that I have been using a few weeks and my first use of Grooming Dept. pre shave knocks the Proraso white directly into the rubbish bin (metaphorically). It's smooth and silky and provides exactly the type of protection I was hoping it would.

The MDC soap... I mean... in the classic sense, this qualifies as among the ultimate, "If you don't know, you better ask somebody." 12/10 and I could use it for all my shaves and never feel like I was missing anything. I just enjoy variety too much to be that guy with 15 tins in the cabinet.

Crown Shaving Co. has been a lovely discovery the last month or so. I recently tried its pre-shave gel and adored it (though Grooming Dept. has something to say about that now) and very much enjoyed this tonic. Refreshing, lovely scent. A winner.

Perhaps the only thing that keeps this software setup from being an "endgame" group is the balm. I like the Nivea. It's easy, smooth, cooling. But, like many hobbyists, I like the fancy stuff. Shoot me.

This was a lovely experience and I am already eager to put this razor in action again.

4D39DB6F-0396-48E8-9059-54C7AAD82983.jpeg

Top Bottom