Shave #24: Shoutout, @Mr. Shavington.

Razor: ATT X1 w/ RR handle
Blade: Feather Pro Guard
Brush: SOC Mistura
Pre: SV Pre Shave Oil+ Taylor of Old Bond Street Herbal Pre-Shave Gel
Soap: MDC Vetyver
After: Crown Shaving Co.
Post: Taylor of Old Bond Street Jeremyn Street Collection

Eureka. Easily the best shave I have had with the ATT X1 and re-establishes it as more mild than the Vector, as @Phoenixkh postulated and @Mr. Shavington suggested. I think using a heavier handle played a big part in this. It felt more balanced. The handle is, I think, from the RR Superslant L1. Didn't enjoy that razor, but perhaps the handle was worth the price. I'll pass aong the plate at some point. The X1 is not as efficient as the Vector in terms of closeness, but it was a much smoother shave. Zero irritation. Zero nicks or weepers and no real feedback from the splash.

The brush was refreshing. After its first use or two, I wondered if it would be back out the door relatively quickly. But it impressed today, so it will remain. Not my top two or three or anything, but perhaps boar is just not my jam overall.

I finally started to get along with the SV pre-shave that I truly wanted to like, as I am quite fond of most of their products. But then, it fell off the counter, making today its final use. I don't think I will repurchase immediately, as the Truefitt & Hill pre-shave oil is similar, but slightly better... scent if nothing else.

The herbal gel remains a nice, but not great product. It will stay in rotation, but I am unlikely to purchase again. The soap and splash are top-tier items. Not a lot to add.

The balm is just OK and has made its way into the PIF pile. I am trying to settle on only using things I really enjoy, so there are likely to be a half dozen or so bits of software I'll be passing on. In fact, immediately after the shave, I ordered two products from Crown Shaving Co. and two from ABC -- brands that are in my top-tier.

The Timeless Crown has been moved to the Greencult, which may be next in the rotation.

2D5183D3-5598-4F8A-95C3-97A509F7D7E2.jpeg

Glad you were able to get a gentler shave with the ATT X1. The Mistura brush should get softer with more use as the boar tips break-in and split. I suggest to hang on to it so you can experience how it is when broken-in. Might take 20 or 30 uses, though.
I sorta figured. It and a boar from Rudy remain. Because of a rather large rotation, it may take six months to get the 30 uses in, but that’s the fun.

Shave #25

Razor: Greencult Lvl2 w/ Timeless Crown
Blade: Astra SP
Brush: SV Manchurian
Pre: The Tube + Grooming Dept.
Soap: Truefitt & Hill Apsley
After: SV Felce Romatica

I think the Greencult level 2 is roughly on-par with the Blackbird in terms of efficiency. As my technique, products and comfort have improved, that level of efficiency is now longer problematic, but I do think that any more efficiency could create some irritation.

The revelation of the day was the handle pairing. While I found the ATT X1 a little too efficient in its first couple uses, its pairing earlier this week with a much heavier handle had it hit its stride. And today, moving the Timeless Crown to the Greencult really took that razor to another level. I think it's about weight distribution with the ATT having a much heavier head than the Greencult, but I believe both razors are now paired much more appropriately.

Today's surprise was the brush. I purchased this because of the accolades from @Phoenixkh, who has three and speaks quite highly. I wasn't super impressed (though not let down) in its first couple uses. But today it seemed to begin warming up. And while it's one use with a wonderful soap, it is now in contention for the top spot. Just lovely.

First time using this particular scent of soap from Truefitt & Hill. From a use perspective, sublime, as seemingly all the company's products are. But the scent was almost too subtle. Far from a problem, but I can't lie, I enjoy the bouquets this hobby brings to my life.

All in all, a wonderful shave with BBS results and the minorest of weepers that the alcohol-forward splash from SV annihilated.

I've gone a little nuts the last few days and have placed orders for multiple products from Crown Shaving Co., ABC, Ethos, Acqua Di Parma, Grooming Dept., Kaliflower Organics and Southern Witchcrafts. So.... lots of fun stuff to try in the coming weeks. That doesn't even count the Athena and Wolfman that aren't too far away :)

Gonna be a fun Spring and excited to go on the ride with all of you.

Special thanks to @Mr. Shavington for a ton of help and recos, @spacemonkey42, @Phoenixkh and others for all the help thus far. Things just keep getting better.

E45ACA66-1E9F-44E1-8BCA-F1BC210E7EA4.jpeg

I've gone a little nuts the last few days and have placed orders for multiple products
I love how you keep down playing your acquisition disorders (for amazing equipment!!) by using “a little” or “slightly” or “some”.

You are in over your head!!

Glad you liked the Green Cult level II. I find it an amazing shaver too at that level.

Enjoy!

Guido

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Shave #25

Razor: Greencult Lvl2 w/ Timeless Crown
Brush: SV Manchurian
Pre: The Tube + Grooming Dept.
Soap: Truefitt & Hill Apsley
After: SV Felce Romatica

I think the Greencult level 2 is roughly on-par with the Blackbird in terms of efficiency. As my technique, products and comfort have improved, that level of efficiency is now longer problematic, but I do think that any more efficiency could create some irritation.

The revelation of the day was the handle pairing. While I found the ATT X1 a little too efficient in its first couple uses, its pairing earlier this week with a much heavier handle had it hit its stride. And today, moving the Timeless Crown to the Greencult really took that razor to another level. I think it's about weight distribution with the ATT having a much heavier head than the Greencult, but I believe both razors are now paired much more appropriately.

Today's surprise was the brush. I purchased this because of the accolades from @Phoenixkh, who has three and speaks quite highly. I wasn't super impressed (though not let down) in its first couple uses. But today it seemed to begin warming up. And while it's one use with a wonderful soap, it is now in contention for the top spot. Just lovely.

First time using this particular scent of soap from Truefitt & Hill. From a use perspective, sublime, as seemingly all the company's products are. But the scent was almost too subtle. Far from a problem, but I can't lie, I enjoy the bouquets this hobby brings to my life.

All in all, a wonderful shave with BBS results and the minorest of weepers that the alcohol-forward splash from SV annihilated.

I've gone a little nuts the last few days and have placed orders for multiple products from Crown Shaving Co., ABC, Ethos, Acqua Di Parma, Grooming Dept., Kaliflower Organics and Southern Witchcrafts. So.... lots of fun stuff to try in the coming weeks. That doesn't even count the Athena and Wolfman that aren't too far away :)

Gonna be a fun Spring and excited to go on the ride with all of you.

Special thanks to @Mr. Shavington for a ton of help and recos, @spacemonkey42, @Phoenixkh and others for all the help thus far. Things just keep getting better.

View attachment 1634656
Several of us tracked the SV Manchurian and almost to a T, at the 12th or 13th shave, they are wonderful. All three of my new ones showed steady improvement but for me, after the 12th shave, they’ve been magical.

Several of us tracked the SV Manchurian and almost to a T, at the 12th or 13th shave, they are wonderful. All three of my new ones showed steady improvement but for me, after the 12th shave, they’ve been magical.
Quantum leap on only 3rd (maybe?) use, so I can only imagine. I probably need to stop buying brushes. As I shave maybe 3x a week and have, idk, 6-8 brushes in rotation, I use any given brush maybe 2x a month.

Different handle materials, and he likes the brush a lot.

Which brings up a worthy question that I don’t think we ever discussed…which SV brush handle do we like best? For me I think it’s the ebony wood.
I figured the materials have something to do with it. Just a curiosity.

The one I got is the Makassar Ebony.

Shave #26: A brief intro to celebrate that my Wolfman order is all paid up. One step closer!

Razor: Brass Karve Overlander w/ Wagner handle
Brush: Rudy Vey boar w/ Bog Oak handle
Pre: Truefitt & Hill oil + Crown Shaving Co. gel
Soap: Savonniere du Moulin
After: Lucky Tiger

A very nice shave this morning. I forgot, uncharacteristically, to take a photo... so apologies for that.

The Overlander, in its second use, is really beginning to crystallize itself. It's truly a no-fuss shave. Today's morning was a little off and things weren't lined up for as relaxing a ritual as I like to experience. That said, the Overlander requires no attention be paid. It just works and is perfect for situations such as these, even if it wasn't its time in the rotation. Once I have more reps under my belt w/ all the razors, including the ones still to come, I may abandon a more stringent rotation. That way, the Overlander could find its way into a slot for days where I sorta want to shave, but want to do so with limited attention. It really is perfect for that.

The brush is something I REALLY want to love, but simply don't. The handle from Rudy is just awesome, as is the finish. Maybe it's just the boar bristles, which I have never really enjoyed. It saddens me, but I may sell this one in time, just because it doesn't make sense for a brush made by Rudy to not be loved. I have two others from the man and they're fantastic for me.

The oil from Truefitt & Hill finds itself in a similar place as the brush. Perhaps I am too conservative in amount, but I just don't seem to love pre-shave oils. I much prefer the gels or thicker ointments like Grooming Dept. After all is said and done, my ultimate pre-shave pair may be starting to take shape. I think it will be The Tube followed by the Grooming Dept. product. I have another tub of it on the way already, even though the current is still 95% full. But... the one coming is lavender and the current is unscented. As I have mentioned before, I do love the bouquet of scents that come from the ritual. As I fully load up my cabinet with stuff I love, perhaps my software rotation will also become less formulaic and I will start creating sets for any given shave based off scent profiles.

The soap from Savonniere du Moulin is solid. I think it may have been the very first higher-end shaving product I purchased when I got into straights in 2019/2020. Looking back, someone told me to avoid scents because of sensitive skin. I know fragrances can bother some -- not me. I like it as a soap, but wish it had a scent.

As for the two products used after shaving, they're great. The Lucky Tiger is a fine tonic, mostly going to stick around because I really like its scent. And the ABC, well, bloody flawless. I have two more products by ABC currently out for delivery and am excited to give them a shot. I imagine there will be more ordered soon. I won't say this emphatically yet, but as of now, there's a good chance its my top brand.

Happy Monday. Enjoy your shaves.

That’s the best way to put it.

Have you considered asking Rudy to reknot your handle with something you’d enjoy more than the boar? Esthetically, his use of knots from Mühle and Shavemac is usually better than the brushes those manufacturers create.
You clearly have a significantly higher IQ than I do.

Top Bottom