What's new

Elliot's Journal

Not too shabby on the results. Won’t spam more, so hopefully the additions to the Journal aren’t too annoying for folks. We did have sourdough pizza with pesto, mozzarella, tomato and caramelized onions for dinner :)

- Sourdough apple cake (fig jam really takes this to another level)

5C496F94-9D62-45D0-A25C-6BDB95C052F9.jpeg

C20460F2-8F9B-44D3-9538-C8A13CF2D15E.jpeg

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I know there is a struggle deciding which gap to order for your WR2. I'm glad I listened to @Mr. Shavington and bought the "normal" 0.95 gap. It shaves so close for me, I don't feel tempted to get one of the larger gaps unless I wanted a completely steep shave with a 1.55. The intermediate gaps seem to be very popular here... "Can I get just a bit closer? Do I need to?" I've seen 1.05, 1.10, 1.15, 1.25, 1.35.... I think it might depend on what other razors one has that are a perfect fit, but I don't really know.

I can only state: The Wolfman WR2 0.95 is something else. I think I'll use my Blutt BR-1 1.20 next shave to see if I can compare the two.... I know, the Athena works hmmmmmm I want to say "just as well"... but I don't have enough time with either of them to make that definitive for me. I think so.... And the problem? I'm going to be leaving all three of these razors behind when we leave for Bali on Wednesday. Don't hold me to it, but I'll bet I reach for the Wolfman upon our return. I have really enjoyed every shave with it so far... just 4, so not that many.

I know there is a struggle deciding which gap to order for your WR2. I'm glad I listened to @Mr. Shavington and bought the "normal" 0.95 gap. It shaves so close for me, I don't feel tempted to get one of the larger gaps unless I wanted a completely steep shave with a 1.55. The intermediate gaps seem to be very popular here... "Can I get just a bit closer? Do I need to?" I've seen 1.05, 1.10, 1.15, 1.25, 1.35.... I think it might depend on what other razors one has that are a perfect fit, but I don't really know.

I can only state: The Wolfman WR2 0.95 is something else. I think I'll use my Blutt BR-1 1.20 next shave to see if I can compare the two.... I know, the Athena works hmmmmmm I want to say "just as well"... but I don't have enough time with either of them to make that definitive for me. I think so.... And the problem? I'm going to be leaving all three of these razors behind when we leave for Bali on Wednesday. Don't hold me to it, but I'll bet I reach for the Wolfman upon our return. I have really enjoyed every shave with it so far... just 4, so not that many.
I am with you completely. I did order the 0.95 SB. Truth is, I have no need for anything closer, especially as someone who maintains a beard and works from home. As such, any more efficient is really sport, not function.

I am with you completely. I did order the 0.95 SB. Truth is, I have no need for anything closer, especially as someone who maintains a beard and works from home. As such, any more efficient is really sport, not function.
I think most shavers would be surprised at how very efficient the WR2 0.95 is. It certainly surprised me when I got mine and it wasn’t at all like I imagined. After using it I don’t know why there are any other WR2 gaps.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
It just could be that James knew what he was doing when he designed the 0.95 WR2.... Sort of how Theo's two razors don't seem like they'd be very good based on the specs..... Some of these artisan razor designers know just a bit more than I do. <eg> :devil:

Shave #23: Luxury.

Razor: Blackland Vector Ti
Blade: Feather Pro Guard
Brush: Paladin Ebonite
Pre: Truefitt & Hill Ultimate Comfort Pre-Shave Oil + Grooming Dept.
Soap: ABC Almond Oil Shaving Cream
After: SV 70th Anniversary

This felt like a luxury shave. I am no @thombrogan, but I do what I can. I have probably said something like this before, but this is pretty darn close to my "ultimate set." Once more of what I have coming arrives, I think it would be cool to try and put that together once and for all. Pure mental masturbation, but it does sound like fun. All but two of the items in this set would be in contention to occupy its respective spot. Will explain.

The Vector is a lovely razor. I am excited to see what my bronze La Faulx will feel like when it arrives, but the Vector really is great and deserving of the accolades it receives. That said, it's sort of 95/100 or so puts it in the second place spot among ACs -- a bit of a strange reality. La Faulx, just based on the passaround, will be in a knife fight with the WR2 for the ultimate set spot. We'll see.

Tiny weeper on the Adam's Apple, but I will admit I was feeling so carefree, I did attempt to fly too close to the sun. That said, tiniest of weepers for that says a lot.

The Paladin Ebonite is a treat. It will absolutely be in contention for occupying its spot on the ultimate set. It feels like a medium plus, in terms of size. This scale sets the Chubby 1 as small and something like my Morris & Forndran Legacy Heritage II TH as large. It's sort of a circus brush, tbh. The Paladin is slightly larger than what I would call medium.... I think. But it's still a great brush.

The pre-shave combo has one that is cemented in the ultimate set in the Grooming Dept. product and one that I really want to be there in the Truefitt & Hill. It very well may end up being there, but too soon to make a statement, as I was using exclusively The Tube as my first product for quite a few shaves in a row. In my head, the SV oil from last shave may feel slightly better, but it's roll-on applicator basically kills its chances.

The soap has the single best scent of any product I have ever used. I will admit that I am a sucker for almond scents and flavors, so it comes in ahead of the curve, but hot damn, it's just a joy to be engulfed with that scent as the brush loads up. Not overpowering by any means, but absolutely there.

The after will also be in contention, though I think it may end up in second behind Crown Shaving Co. The balm will not make the ultimate set but not because it's bad. Much like the Vector, I would rate it highly. There are just things like the Trufitt & Hill 1805 and the ABC Apricot Hull in the cabinet. Can't imagine much threatening those. They will be the top two, no doubt.

I have clearly zeroed in on some brands I adore and will be doing some PIFs with very good stuff from the likes of B&M and Taylor of Old Bond Street soon. If nothing else, just so I can try different scents from MDC, SV, Truefitt & Hill and ABC.

A lovely experience this morning.

Happy Tuesday.

BFF95C73-CBA2-4586-824F-B151A6003486.jpeg

Last edited:
You’re doing it in style, Elliot. An enviable set for your shave.

For me, the Vector is a beautiful and highly intelligent piece of design - something Shane should feel extremely proud of - but I don’t find it as smooth a shaver as my favourite razors. It can be a bit aggressive - more so than the efficiency I get from it would justify. That’s just what I feel. I really must try the La Faulx, as soon as I have a home for it to ship to.

You’re doing it in style, Elliot. An enviable set for your shave.

For me, the Vector is a beautiful and highly intelligent piece of design - something Shane should feel extremely proud of - but I don’t find it as smooth a shaver as my favourite razors. It can be a bit aggressive - more so than the efficiency I get from it would justify. That’s just what I feel. I really must try the La Faulx, as soon as I have a home for it to ship to.
Thank you, sir! I owe much to folks such as yourself that I have stalked :)

The Vector is beautiful and feels like an extension of the hand, perhaps more so than any other razor, but I agree with you. That said, I have found, in extremely limited use, the ATT X1 Slant to be more aggressive, which I believe is the opposite of its reputation. So still a lot to explore.

The Vector is beautiful and feels like an extension of the hand, perhaps more so than any other razor, but I agree with you. That said, I have found, in extremely limited use, the ATT X1 Slant to be more aggressive, which I believe is the opposite of its reputation. So still a lot to explore.
I haven’t used the ATT X1 Slant (should be ‘slope’?) very many times yet but the main impression I had was the effective shaving angle is narrow and the bar and cap are quite rounded and thick, so it can feel a bit numb to me. Not as engaging or tactile as other razors. It is a lot like the Rocnel SE50, I think, which I also didn’t fall in love with. I should do a comparison shave with them both.

Maybe it’s the weight of the head that makes the X1 seem more aggressive to you. It can require some adjustments to adapt to such a different weight.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune

This is probably a stupid or silly question.... but are you sure you have the blade seated correctly on the X1? I find it just a half step up in efficiency from my Claymore Evolution.. for me... it's roughly the same as my other razors I use on a frequent basis.... I've installed the blade off a bit a few times, when I first got it, hence the question.... I do seem to remember, you posted a photo of the head with the blade installed.. and the blade was parallel with the safety bar... So that should be perfect. It does surprise me you find it more aggressive or efficient than the Vector. That is a bit puzzling as you suggest.

I do know... I'm one of the very few people who hate the Schick Proline blades. They are always rough and uncomfortable to me and I've tried them enough times to confirm my dislike for them. I'm also a bit odd in the fact that I find the Feather ProGuards and the Kai MG Protouch blades shave so similarly for me, I doubt I could tell the difference in a double blind test. I know, I know... these blades were designed to be used in AC barber razors and I shouldn't like them so much in my two AC razors... but I do. <eg> :devil:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Another note: for me... and I think you are already doing this.. the X1 and the Ti Crown handle are a match made in heaven..

I am doing that pair!
I will explore my seating again just to make sure. I have tried a few different blades, with them all feeling quite similar (I think). I might use the X1 for my next shave despite any sort of rotation order to be clearer on comparison.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I'm still trying to determine which razor I'm going to use for my last US shave for 7 weeks.... I think I owe it to the Blutt BR-1 1.20.. to compare it to the Wolfman WR2 0.95... but it's hard to resist another Wolfman shave. ;)

Top Bottom